1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Why all the Tobias Growler Gibson Hate???

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Langueta, Feb 16, 2010.

1. Langueta

Langueta Guest

First of all I don`t want to be offensive to anyone, this forum is great and it helped me to be a better bassist you answered w every single question I had and I could redefined my sound as never before.
    But...really
    Why all the tobias growler Gibson hate??????
    I have a Tobias growler Gibson 5 and a musicman sr 5 with piezo. Friends, basissts, non bassists, profesional musicians, teachers all agreed the tobias growler is as good as the musicman stingray or better.
    Why all the hate, for the tobias gibson??? I really think that most of you who critize it didnt try one. All that state the tobias pre gibson is better didnt try one neither.
    I want to know what is happening. Its really a great bass, considering the stingray is the most overrated bass of the forum. I love the stingray dont misundertand me, but I think the growler deserves more respect here, gibson or not gibson. Perhaps pre gibson is better, like foderas or sadowskys, but being the new tobias as good as Musicman or Fender make the tobias a very good bass.
    They are different basses. I am more a fusion player so I play more the growler. It is warm, versatile slapp ala marcus miller bass, modern tone, dark, mellow. It gave me possibilities that where missing with the stingray.
    I also have a rock-pop-folk band where the musicman is a better choice for most songs.
    I like the growler more for a solo context. Why do you think all this happens???
    Please all tobias lovers tell this bass is great.

2. Langueta

Langueta Guest

My comparison Tobias Growler 5 Gibson era Vs Musicman Sr 5 with pieazo
    Versatility: The tobias is way more versatile, from jaco tone to reggae, the musicman more agressive, brighter, clanky, more harsh.
    Tone: The Growler s warmer and the musicman cold tone. The musicman has deeper lows, but the tobias has a very funky growl at the low notes. The growler has warmer mids and highs.
    Sound: Musicman sound shines better in the mix in a rock context, in a Jazz, funk context I like more the Tobias. The tobias has a more Marcus miller (albums like m2 square) slap sound, the musicman a more vintage 70s slap sound.
    Playability: Both great playability, the musicman has a better feel for slap, the tobias a better fell to solo due to its asimetric neck.
    Construction: Both are very well made basses.
    B string: Both very powerfull, the musicman has a more agressive b string, the growler is cleaner.

3. spade2you

spade2you

Your criteria/review is too subjective, as is much in music.

4. RFord04

RFord04 Supporting Member

These are just your opinions. How do you know these people never even tried the growler? I'm sure many of them have.

What really confuses me about your post is that you used the terms "warm," "slap ala Marcus," "modern tone," "dark," and "mellow," all to describe the same bass. Warm, dark, and mellow, to me, are the opposite of "slap ala Marcus Miller," and "modern tone." IMO.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. danomite64

danomite64 Supporting Member

Sounds to me that you're the one who hasn't tried the pre-Gibson, which means you have no idea how the two versions compare. In other words, you have proven yourself to be guilty of the exact thing you're accusing other people of doing. I believe the word for that is hypocrite.

7. merrill2121

merrill2121

I don't really know anything about this Tobias Growler,

why are they considered inferior?

8. darkstorm

darkstorm

Every gobson tobias I examined when they came out had horrid fretwork and generally poor looking build. I sad copy of real Tobias's imo. The budget tobias tobys from the now defunct musicyo company had better fretwork and workmanship on them.

9. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Supporting Member

Langueta, all that matters is that you like your bass. You can't make others feel for it like you do.:)

10. hobbes1

hobbes1

i've had one of those Gibson Tobias growlers for about 12 years. it's a 5 string in ash/natural. i think what the OP was trying to get at with the description of the sounds is that the bass is pretty versatile. i can get a nice warm sound full of deep lows and low/mids but with the flick of a switch or turn of a knob, i can get a more scooped, slap tone that really cuts through. the bass has an 18v preamp, bartolini quad pickup and has a pretty nice range of boost/cut on it. the B string is not as tight and sweet as my Lakland 55-01, but it does a good job. all in all, the build quality has been great IMO. the bass stays in tune very well and has rarely needed truss rod adjustments or any other adjustments, no matter what the season or the weather. the asymmetrical neck makes for hours of comfortable playing and just feels great every time i pick it up. i haven't really found much active hate hear for the bass but not really much love either. i think these are under rated basses but realize that this is just my opinion. carry on....

:D

11. Langueta

Langueta Guest

I didnt try pre gibson!! I didnt state that post gibson was better than pre gibson. If your read carefully It is clear I am saying perhaps pre gibson is better, but that dont make post- gibson a bad bass. In my opnion and others it`s as good as a Musicman or Fender Mia.

12. Langueta

Langueta Guest

That`s because you didn t tried this bass. It is the most versatile bass I ve ever heard. It can also sound as a sinth slap bass!! Incredible!!
    Comparing to the musicman one or two usefull tones, Growler is great

13. Langueta

Langueta Guest

Yes it is. But before buying the Growler I was thinking the problem was in my rig and that my Hartke cabs where to bright. I liked the tone I was getting with the musicman but it was to agressive for the music I play. It was not as warm as I would like it to be.
    When I tried the growler all of this change. My teacher (one of the most prominent bass players of Argentina) sold me the tobias, and kept other growler of 4 strings. Now my rig sounds warm and modern, I can get those Marcus slap tones. I will keep the Stingray for Rock, Pop and Disco songs-I really like the Sade tone I can get with it.

14. 73jbass

73jbass Gold Supporting Member

I have a Gibson/Tobias Killer B 6 that I absolutely adore. I also use a MM Sterling 5. I have been going back and forth between the 2 at gigs,and the Sterling has the edge overall.I ususally play the Tobias favoring the bridge pickup a bit. Nothing wrong with the build quality at all on the Tobias.It's the only 6 string I've ever been comfortable playing. If the Growler works for you,then don't worry about everybody elses opinion. Just play the hell out of it.

15. ethompson2

ethompson2

I actually just traded my Stingray 4 for an early Gibson Growler 5 and I have to say its exactly what I was looking for. I can get that kind of music manish tone out of it (which I love) but warmer and fatter plus it goes A LOT lower if need be. I can also get a pretty good jazz bass bridge pickup tone out of it. So far I'm loving it, great slap and finger style sounds very versatile. But hey play what YOU like dont worry about anyone else.

16. T-MOST

T-MOST

{Quote} the tobias growler is as good as the musicman stingray or better.

Those are fighting words.

17. rappa29

rappa29

This!

Why care about "Tobias Growler Hate" (if even such hate exists), unless you work there or own the company.

Play what you like. Like what you play!

18. Steve

Steve

First of all, why do you give a rats fat butt what anyone else thinks about your instrument?

Second, The growler is a gibson product so, there really is no comparison to a pre-gibson model.

Third, having owned pre / post Tobias Classic 5's and an offshore Toby, the "real" Tobias instruments are something special. IMHO

Fourth, The Growler electronics package is amazing. It's also the most user un-friendly, counter intuitive, it's in there somewhere good luck in finding it bunch of knobs and switches I've ever encountered.

Fifth, neck issues with the growlers are fairly well documented.

Sixth, why do you care what anyone else thinks about your instrument?

19. BruceWane

BruceWane

The "hate" you percieve is due to Gibson's poor handling of the Tobias name. Sure, most of the Gibson era Tobias basses are pretty decent mid-level instruments, just as good as Ernie Ball/Music Man, Fender, etc. But that's exactly the problem, too - the basses that Mike Tobias made himself before Gibson, and the ones he makes now (MTD) are absolutely, positively, without any doubt high-end instruments. The best of the best.

It's as if someone bought out Ferrari, then started producing cars that were comparable to a Camry with a prancing horse emblem on the hood. A Toyota Camry's a good car, hard to find fault with it, but it's not a Ferrari F430.

In other words, Gibson bought the brand and immediately downgraded it. The "hate" isn't necessarily for the basses themselves, but more for the company that compromised their specialness.

20. Papersen

Papersen Gold Supporting Member

I`ve played both extensively, so I`ll chime in.

First of all, Pre Gibson Tobias are in a different league. They`re similar to actual MTD basses, and were made by the man himself (Mike Tobias) till 1990. Quality and attention to detail were simply excellent (same with MTD´s today)

When Gibson bought the company, quality standards where all over the place. Attention to detail decreased dramatically and overseas production began years later.

I think that in a certain way you can compare them to Spector (not Lakland or G&L) where overseas (mainly Korea or China) production is a much lower version of their American counterparts.

However, USA Spectors are generally superb basses and USA Gibson Tobias are not. Why ?

Because their quality isn`t always even.
    In terms of tone I prefer the Growler to the the Stingray. I find their preamps more versatile and the pickup has more variety of tones also.

I also prefer them in terms of playability. The asymetric neck profile suits much better my personal needs and slimmer, lighter body is perfect for me.

I agree that there are not many USA made basses in that price range, with those features.

However, Ernie Ball is highly regarded cause of its constant QC. You`ll find many people here who has played or owned many Stingrays over the years and swear that EB Stingrays are better built that Pre EB ones.

That`s something not so usual regarding Tobias basses.

21. Langueta

Langueta Guest

I don`t mind about what people say. If so, I wouldn t have a Tobias.

Interesting post

The "hate" you percieve is due to Gibson's poor handling of the Tobias name. Sure, most of the Gibson era Tobias basses are pretty decent mid-level instruments, just as good as Ernie Ball/Music Man, Fender, etc. But that's exactly the problem, too - the basses that Mike Tobias made himself before Gibson, and the ones he makes now (MTD) are absolutely, positively, without any doubt high-end instruments. The best of the best.

It's as if someone bought out Ferrari, then started producing cars that were comparable to a Camry with a prancing horse emblem on the hood. A Toyota Camry's a good car, hard to find fault with it, but it's not a Ferrari F430.

In other words, Gibson bought the brand and immediately downgraded it. The "hate" isn't necessarily for the basses themselves, but more for the company that compromised their specialness

This of information is very appreciated