Why are bass/guitar mfg websites so horrible?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by RedHotFuzz, Apr 2, 2014.

1. RedHotFuzz

RedHotFuzz

Sure, you have the Big Guns (Fender, Gibson, etc.) that have sites that look like they live in the current decade (although Gibson's ain't all that great), but the little guys? Wow. It's like WWW Time Machine.

And not only from a design perspective (which is obviously a big problem), but content as well. Case in point: Lakland. Their page for the Hollowbody 30 (which I'm interested in) has nothing but the most basic of specs. No description. No history. No "selling points."

And here's the kicker: THE SPECS AREN'T EVEN RIGHT! "Nut Type: Flat sawn Maple." Huh? "Fret Size: Bound Rosewood." Say what???

I feel no compulsion to buy this product based on the way it's presented to me on the site.

Now go to Basses > Reviews. The latest review listed is from 2003???

Not just to pick on Lakland, of course. G&L's is bad. Carvin's is bad. Rickenbacker's: bad. On and on. It's like the world moved on and the non-Fender non-Gibson-owned guitar manufacturers collectively decided to stay behind.

Man, you can pick up a nice Wordpress template for 50 bucks these days and build a new site around it in no time.

Yeah, I get it, these are smaller companies that aren't focused on high-tech. Profitability is a challenge. Dollars don't flow in excess. But this is your public image!

Sorry, had to get it off my chest. It felt...therapeutic.

2. wild4oldcars

wild4oldcars

I would like the fender site alot better if the specs for everything were standardized. Personally, I love the Ibanez site.

3. akuma12

akuma12

I'd be happy to build any luthier a nice database driven business site for a free bass ;)

4. metalhead398

metalhead398

I hate not seeing the MSRP on the website. I know, I know, you're not really supposed to list it as a manufacturer, but still, having to go to musiciansfriend.com every 5 seconds bugs me.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. cleary

cleary

I agree :)

I've been thinking about getting a Brian Bromberg series carvin, and the dealership in Aust just said "Go to the builder on the site and bring us the design you come up with".
    6 months on, 10-20 visits later, a tertiary qualified IT professional with 15 years experience has not managed to find the bass builder.
    If that is their primary operating model (build to spec, bring spec to local dealer), please make the builder something you can find :/

If anyone could guide me on where to look for it, I would be very appreciative :D

7. RedHotFuzz

RedHotFuzz

Wouldn't matter, since actual street price is often dramatically less anyway (another industry practice that drives me crazy).

8. metalhead398

metalhead398

Fair enough. But at least provide some sort of marker. Also agree with the lame street value thing.

9. joelns

joelns

There's a link on the right side. Is that what you are looking for? http://www.carvinguitars.com/catalog/guitars/b24

10. cleary

cleary

Have you tried clicking your link? They redirect to their homepage for *all* links

I have seen the catalog items, and the bromberg page, I just can't see where to build/customise one for myself - if you could screenshot it and/or detail each link you click to get there, that may work

...the fact that I am even having to ask this makes me feel ridiculous...

[edit] HOLD THE PRESS! I THINK I FOUND IT!
    Am I correct in assuming that this is not in fact a bass builder (ie a single form where I can select options and print a summary), but more a series of documents explaining the available options that I have to choose?

[edit2] HOLD THE PRESSES SOME MORE!
    The button labelled "Guitar Builder" but was styled differently to all the other buttons making me assume it was just a heading, IS IN FACT A BUTTON!
    I'm away! thanks so much :D

11. joelns

joelns

Glad it worked. And yes, I did test it :p

12. 4andnomore

4andnomore

For the same reason that most websites suck - companies refuse to invest in proper user experience design and the research and testing that go with it. They just leave it all up to the web design and marketing teams most of whom know little or nothing about information architecture and/or interaction design.

13. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Don't just TalkBASS - PlayBASS! Supporting Member

:D