1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Why Are Dress Clothes Not Futuristic Yet?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Unrepresented, Feb 19, 2014.

1. Unrepresented

Unrepresented Something Borderline Offensive Supporting Member

We have materials, technology, and design to make clothes out of many materials, integrate electronics, and be cut in a variety of ways and yet business attire still looks unchanged despite the centuries of change since the look was adopted.

Why so our business suits not have high tech polymers and flashing lights and consist of a singlet with a cape instead the same wool coat and trousers we've had forever? We are we not demonstrating our progress in our formal wear?
  2. brownie_bass

brownie_bass [this space for sale, cheap] Supporting Member

And where is my flying car??? I was promised one, dammit.
  3. tastybasslines

tastybasslines I'll hump your leg Supporting Member

What changes do you suggest?
  4. nukes_da_bass

nukes_da_bass Supporting Member

Having watched Sci Fi for the better part of 4 decades, most "futuristic" clothing was skin tight.
    Have you seen the average adult body in middle america?
    Skin tight clothes for the masses are a bad idea.
    Oh and scroo the flying car- I want an X wing fighter with R2D2 as my nav pilot!
  5. elgecko

elgecko

6. tastybasslines

very astute +1

There would be massive cameltoes and fruitbowls everywhere you looked. Not sure I want that. In fact, I know I don't.
  7. Unrepresented

We don't have all the technology to make an affordable, safe, and practical flying car for mass consumption and use. We have the technology and design to make something other than a wool suit to wear to business meetings.
    Something that appears relevant to the time and age.
  8. elgecko

elgecko

9. Milk

Milk Supporting Member

Because it turn out it makes you look like a twat.

Everyone has seen a sad example of a nerd trying to pull off a matrix trenchcoat. I know i have.

You know what i like about sci fi films though? Their futuristic clothes are always very rooted in the decade they were made in. Certainly in 70's sci fi there are some great examples of futuristic clothing that looks well...totally 70's. And the matrix looks terribly late 90s. (also, lights and switches on computers, in the 70s all sci fi had gigantic computers with ********* of lights and knobs, now in sci fi people have sleek small pads...computer things, ships with bare instrumentation, basically like everything in the future was made by Apple) I bet the sci fi movies of today will look very 2010's in about 20 years. Or maybe not, since we seem to have peaked fashion wise...
  10. Milk

Milk Supporting Member

11. tastybasslines

The answer simple. No one wants it, otherwise we would have it en masse.

Accessories are starting to get high tech though - like smart watches, etc.
  12. Milk

Milk Supporting Member

Not really future clothing, intracomputer clothing. Cause you can't leave all those programs and data naked.

I'm not sure why their clothing evolved in time. I mean compared to the first Tron. I guess cause their programming is so much more modern.
  13. ZenG

ZenG

Nobody would buy futuristic clothing even if they made it.

"Dressing up" for anything has been on the decline for decades.

Currently the vast majority of people wear " North American Designer Slob" for everything.

This consists of jeans, baseball cap, fleecies, t-shirts, wife-beaters, toques, overalls, baggy shorts and cheap logo-imprinted jackets.

This is worn everywhere.......from weddings to taking the garbage out.

3/4 of the population doesn't own a tie.......and the other 1/4 never wears theirs.

Ditto for suits.....and dress shoes.
  14. elgecko

elgecko

15. Unrepresented

Which is better though, to have something that's eternally dated because we collectively gave up, or have something that while eventually dated at least showed some contemporary qualities at the time?
  16. JennySuzuki

JennySuzuki

Humans are a constant war of cave man v. Buck Rodgers.

The people with money are always conservative, because that conservatism helps them hold on to their money. People without money are trying to convince the people with money that they (the people without money) are worthy / trustworthy to be given some of the money, so they emulate the people with money. That's why our formal clothing still harks back to Victorian fashion at its roots.
  17. Milk

Milk Supporting Member

I own this:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

That's right, neon umbrella! The future is here! who would have thought one day we'd have the technology! (funny thing though...the blade runner ones were apparently plugged in...i mean they had batteries in 1982...were they not able to power a small neon light with them back then? Who knows....) For the record, it is nice in a very dark area, cars will defintiely see you for one, but pointless in a city except to just look interesting, and it turns out having a bright neon that close to your face impairs your vision on that side a little. Its a little blinding.
  18. electracoyote

electracoyote

Sad but true. If anything, our fashion sense is devolving.

Beyond that, the future hasn't happened yet. Dressing like the future, not possible.

Now, dressing like the past, totally possible.
  19. brownie_bass

brownie_bass [this space for sale, cheap] Supporting Member

In all seriousness, business attire is by definition an affectation. There is no law of nature or objective reality that drives its dictates, simply some combination of convention and inertia. To change it you need a pull (changing behavior from taste-makers), not a push (advances in materials).

And who says it hasn't changed a lot? I'm sitting in my office right now wearing "non iron" casual trousers and a button down shirt, both of which magically emerge from the dryer perfectly wrinkle-free and ready to wear. 20 years ago not only were such materials not available cheaply, but convention would have dictated that I wear a wool suit in the office. That seems like a pretty big change in both taste and technology to me.
  20. sneha1965

sneha1965 Supporting Member