Why are my speakers Frapping

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by JaredBT, Dec 28, 2013.

1. JaredBT

JaredBT

Have a Carvin BX1200 and a R1000, both new. Pushing a 210x115 stack or a 410 alone and the speakers frap when I hit like a low E or basically anything on my B string. You know these Carvin heads have nobs for days and an unlimited amount of tweaking can happen before you know it. Just curious if anyone has any info??

2. B-string

B-string Supporting Member

If I remember correctly Carvin likes to use the Fender tone stack which means it boosts lows and highs more than cut. Where are your bass controls using clock face, like 12:00.

3. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member

When did this problem start? After how long using the rig?

What are your current settings?

4. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

The simple answer is too "much power applied at too low a frequency". A f-deck hpf works by removing frequencies below what you need or want or can't have when the cab can't handle.

Resume inquisition. No doubt your EQ can be reset to give better results than you have now.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member

+1 on fdeck's hpf. Check out big thread on it.

7. 1958Bassman

1958Bassman

Post a photo of the front- if you boosted the Drive, Lo-Mid, the lowest two bands on the graphic EQ, turned the Comp off/down, set the Lo-Mid Freq control lower than 200 or any combination of these, especially if you're using the Active, boosted the Drive and Master and set the Contour close to Scoop, I would think you could make a woofer cone shoot across the room pretty easily.

A little goes a long way when it comes to equalization. Your speakers will determine where the crossover controls need to be set, not your sound preference, and the Lo/Hi level controls can add to the confusion. If you set everything to +/-0dB, the Boost to 3/Master at 5, Contour flat and switch it to Passive, does it sound good? Try to change the sound by cutting levels, not boosting.

The one thing I don't see that I think all bass amps should have is a low cut (high pass filter). Variable slope would be great, but SOME kind of low cut would eliminate a lot of these problems.

8. David Hayes

David Hayes Guest

Carvin cabs are notorious for farting out when you push the bass knob too far. My recommendation is to sell the cabs, if you can, and get a decent single 410, 610 or 810.

9. Gearhead17

Gearhead17 Supporting Member

The BX1200 does not employ the Fender Tone Stack - I am sure on that one. Take a picture of your settings for the BX1200 and post it here. The head is wickedly powerful and has plenty of low end even at flat settings. The EQ section was always plenty for me to roll off the low end. I don't think you need to add anything here - just a few knob turns to get what you need.

10. Selta

Selta

Disclosures:
    Uncompensated endorsing user: EBMM
    Pft, that's not the way to fix things around here. Don't you know every problem means that you have to go buy some new piece of equipment? ;)

11. Gearhead17

Gearhead17 Supporting Member

LOL!:D

12. Kmonk

Kmonk

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Fender, Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings
    What kind of bass are you using? Is it active or passive? If it's active, you might want to adjust the trim pot back a bit.

13. CrackBass

CrackBass

Yep you're pushing your speakers too hard. Less bass or less volume. No way around physics. You would be better served by getting better speakers if the ones you have aren't up to the job you need them to do. You can try a highpass filter, IIRR that head has a built in crossover. Run the high side to your cabs and see if that does what you want without compromising the sound too much.