1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Why are so many rich people stuck up?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by powderfinger, Nov 19, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. powderfinger

powderfinger

Im being serious here, and be assured, this does not go for all rich folks, because I know many who are swell people (and I know many poor, middle class folks who are stuck up and arrogant as well). But in my experience in life, I just find that the majority of rich folk I deal with are very condescending and stuck up toward non rich folks.

Ive had a few recent examples lately that made me think hard here. My cousin recently married a guy out in Colorado where she lives. The guy is in sales, and probably makes low-middle income.. they both work, and live in a pretty nice house, and all. And best of all.. he treats her like gold. He is a gentleman, and has been nothing but kind to us when we see him at weddings, holidays, etc. He is always surprising her with stuff... taking her out.. they have a great time together. However, my uncle, who Im thinking probably is in the millionaire catgory by now, treats him like dirt. He's made comments about him being a "loser", having "no ambition", etc. He smiles to the guys face, but totally rips him behind his back, and we all think its pretty disgusting. He loved her ex boyfriend though, because he had his own business. Never mind that he lied to her constantly and treated her like crap, my uncle loved him.

Ive seen other people act this exact same way when someone dates a non rich person. Ive even been subject to it. I once dated a girl, whose dad constantly nagged her that she needed to marry up, and find a doctor or lawyer. Eventually I just said eff it, and broke up with her. I couldnt stand his crap.

See it all the time.

2. Sequimite

Sequimite

As a CPA I worked with many wealthy people and was briefly a millionaire myself before my business crashed and burned.

First, most tell rich folks what they want to hear in order to try to get something from them. This puts them into a bubble where the only thing they hear is how wonderful they are. (including CPA's wanting their business)

Second, no matter how lucky they were or how advantaged their start in life, like everyone else they want to believe that their wealth was 100% due to their own hard work.

Third, the corollary of the second point is that anyone who is not rich is just too lazy to become wealthy. I had a millionaire tell me once that the reason inner city kids don't succeed is because they know that even if they do they will have to pay high taxes and are thus discouraged. I asked him who he knew that had ever turned down another dollar of income because of the tax rate. He had no answer. You'd be surprised how many think this way.

Fourth, they recognize at some level that most folks kissing their a$$es want something from them which causes them to socialize with others who are also rich, thus reinforcing the bubble.

3. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member

Because they can.

4. powderfinger

powderfinger

I guess that may be where some of my friction with the rich folks comes in. I don't want or need anything from them, hence, I don't kiss their @ss. I am respectful to them, as I would be any other human being, rich or poor, but I dont go out of way to kiss anyone's @ss. Im very non materialistic, not impressed by cars, clothes, etc. Maybe they pick up on that.

Also, I wanna mention.... new money is the worst. What I mean is that alot of the self made millionaire types who earned their money, started their own business, took risks etc., are alot nicer and down to Earth than 2nd genration money. Most people I know who inheritted their money/business from the previous generation, are the worst. In other words, Warren Buffet and Bill Gates are probably alot nicer and down to Earth than the aspiring rich, or the new money.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. hdracer

hdracer Supporting Member

May be you are just a poor loser with a chip on your shoulder that has gotten sucked into the class warfare BS.

All classes of people are full of jerks.

7. pacojas

pacojas "FYYA BUN"

hmmmm,...

i've never thought about it! people are what they eat, as Momma used to say.;)

8. powderfinger

powderfinger

I was hoping that this topic would not degredate into Fox News talking points, and insults.

9. hdracer

Then why did you start out bashing people that have worked hard and have something?

Did you get that from your MSNBC talking points?

10. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

The whole situation concerning parents pushing their daughters to "marry up" can be quite pervasive and is an anthropological dissertation in itself. It can be explained from everything from David Buss's mating theories to industrial societies' preoccupation with wealth accumulation.

I remembering experiencing something quite similar when I was in high school. I grew up in a mobile home. I dated a girl my senior year and her mother and stepfather looked down upon me because I lived in a trailer. Ironically, she is now married to some goober, is uneducated, doesn't work, and pops out a new kid about every two or three years. On the other hand, I have two degrees, and I'm entering my last semester of coursework in the spring before I'm ABD in a Ph.D program. I'm not saying that makes me any better than anyone else, but it is funny that her parents ruled me out as not a good enough suitor; now look at where both of us are.

11. Steve

Steve

It has been my experience that truely wealthy people are by and large VERY nice, polite helpful...regular boy scout kinda folks.

There is a class of people that aren't truely wealthy (but still have a ton of dough) that like to think they are and believe part of being rich is peeing on the little people.

Warren Buffet is probably a great hang. The guy on the other side of town with the McMansion, Mercedes lease car and high 6 / low 7 figure income is probably a schmuck.

I've known more than my fair share of both.

12. nickbass79

nickbass79

Every rich person I know treats me with respect, because I treat them with respect. I think a person's wealth often times is viewed as a stigma by people that are poorer, then it leads to seeing any and all flaws in a person with wealth. Hence, the demonization of wealthy, successful people.

Envy can cloud a persons judgement, and I have seen this in numerous threads talking about REALLY good and successful bass players. People just seem to dislike others that are better off, whether it be financial, skill, or in success.

13. powderfinger

powderfinger

1) Im not bashing them because they have worked hard. Im bashing them, because some of them are condescending, stuck up, arrogant, self righteous, insufferable pissants. Plus, I even pointed out, its usually 2nd generation money which is worse... ie those who didnt work for anything (had it handed to them).

2) MSNBC is too left leaning for my views. Ron Paul fan here.

14. powderfinger

powderfinger

Yeah, my uncle is respectful to his son in law... to his face. Behind is back.. thats the problem.

Envy? Would said anything about envy? I dont want their money or their possessions..... that stuff doesnt make you happy. But apparently it can make you an #sshole.

15. hdracer

If you want to see some real "condescending, stuck up, arrogant, self righteous, insufferable pissants"
    Go hang out at a Wal Mart

16. macaroni tony

macaroni tony

let the classwar begin!!!!

17. nickbass79

nickbass79

Yes, envy can make a person an a hole. So can having money, a particular skill set, or just being alive. Like it or not, many people that dislike the wealthy, or someone that has something the other person wants, have an underlying issue with envy.

I wasn't stating you were envious, I was just stating that envy can fuel dislike towards those that are better off. And better off isn't just wealth, it can encompass many things.

18. powderfinger

powderfinger

Corporate office or store level?

19. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Kohlman Bassworks
    Not all. I know quite a few. Most are down to earth and really cool. But these are folks who attained their wealth through hard work and know what it is to be poor, live and eat with the poor/middleclass and grew up poor/middleclass!

I do find some 'silver spooners', who really know nothing about hard work a bit snooty. Many of them just get thrust into positions of wealth because of family, or Soror/Frat affiliates. No real, hard work on their end. Positions that garner big bonuses! Those folks don't even take the time to know the folks that work for them.

But not all of them.

20. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Kohlman Bassworks
    Oh, it's gonna happen! Maybe not in our lifetime but it's gonna happen!

21. slobake

slobake Supporting Member

I'm not stuck up. :D:D:D Oh wait, I'm not rich. This is something that I struggle with though. Of all the ism's this probably the one that I need to work on the most. I do have an unheatlhy prejucice against wealthy people. I have known a few wealthy people some are jerks and some are great people.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.