1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Why are these so much cheaper here?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by gjbassist, Nov 3, 2012.

1. gjbassist

gjbassist Supporting Member

2. B-string

B-string Gold Supporting Member

They are not far from GB in Scottsdale, AZ. Maybe they got a killer deal on OBS over-stock from GenzBenz direct.

3. tsunami1052

tsunami1052 What the Funk? Supporting Member

Discontinued model.

The 6.0 at the bass place is 495.00

4. elgecko

elgecko

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Mehve

Mehve

The $519 is the weird price.

7. wcriley

wcriley

Disclosures:
    Uncompensated endorsing user: fEARful
    Although obviously not the case in this instance, one thing to keep in mind is that many Ebay sellers have absolutely no overhead other than Ebay and Paypal fees.

A few months back I bought a ShuttleMax 9.2 from an Ebay seller for $695 when most other sellers want $950 and more. The amp shipped directly from Genz Benz to me. All the seller did was spend a few minutes handling the transaction, allowing him to sell with very little markup.

8. jlepre

jlepre

GREAT DEAL on a killer amp. Would make a great backup that fits in the front pocket of a gig bag.

9. gjbassist

Do you think this amp would be enough to use at small blues gigs with a couple of 112 cabinets?

10. Tractorr

Tractorr Supporting Member

Assuming those 112s are 8 ohms giving you a 4 ohm total load then absolutely. 300 watts will get really loud. We have lost all perspective now that 500+ watt amps are so common place.

Remember that up until not too long ago a 350 watt Hartke or a 480 watt GK were considered big amps.

11. Peepaleep

Peepaleep

I bought that exact head from The Bass Place a few weeks ago (also through ebay) and I have been to their retail store. I've bought strings there, a gig bag, other stuff too. If you're hesitant about buying it because of the low price - don't be. Dennis and his staff are fantastic. I have mine coupled with a Schroeder 112 and I would not hesitate to use it at small gigs. Go for it!

12. lomo

lomo passionate hack Gold Supporting Member

+1. ALWAYS check eBay for widely available gear like GB. There is almost ALWAYS a better price for a new item with warranty than is popularly offered. I shake my head often when seeing used asks on in the TB classifieds within a hair of new gear prices on eBay.

13. lomo

lomo passionate hack Gold Supporting Member

I have it. It's a great little head. It pumps 300 watts and for any "small" gig that should be fine.

14. gjbassist

Thanks for all the good info! I'm gonna grab one now.

15. jlepre

jlepre

Yeah go for it. I've owned this head as part of the GB Combo with an 8" cab. That little thing was amazing. I used to pop it on top of an Epi UL-112 cab to get the total 300 watts, and it worked fine for a gig with keys, guitar, and a heavy handed drummer.

16. autodidact

autodidact

I owned one of these heads and ended up returning it for two reasons:

1.) My Hartke 3500 sounded better (IMO) so I couldnt justify keeping it
    2.) It doesnt play well with dirt. ODs, distortions, things of that nature make the head clip pretty quickly and it sounds weird.

That being said, at this price...I'd pick up another one if I were a clean player.

17. gjbassist

Already got the tracking info from Bass Place! It should be here by Friday. Can't wait to try it out this weekend!:hyper:

18. Peepaleep

Peepaleep

Greg - I hope you like it as much as I like mine. You'll be surprised at how great it sounds and how little it weighs.

19. rapidfirerob

rapidfirerob Fusion rules! Supporting Member

I bought a 6.0 from The Bass Place some months back when they were $419 shipped. No problem. Enjoy your new amp. I know you will.

20. gjbassist

The Shuttle 3.0 arrived yesterday. Have not had a lot of time to mess around with it but my first impressions are very good! Very light and compact. Not as small as my former GK MB200 but not much bigger. Also the 3.0 has more features, 100 watts more power and the ability to run two cabinets. The first thing that really impressed me when I opened the box was the warranty card on top of the amp. Three year transferable warranty! First time I have seen any electronic device with a warranty longer than one year. Nice!

21. Peepaleep

Peepaleep

Greg - also keep in mind that many credit cards offer extended warranty's beyond that given by the manufacturer. What I usually do is make a note on the warranty card of the expiration date for the mfr warranty and then the CC extended warranty. I've not had to use it yet, but it will be nice to know it is available if I ever need to.

Enjoy the amp - I'm loving mine. I really like that LF boost button.