WHY ARE WE STILL USING 1/4" JACKS!

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by georgiagoodie, Mar 5, 2014.

1. georgiagoodie

georgiagoodie It's all fun&games 'til the flying monkeys show up Supporting Member

Media:
    After all these years electric guitars and basses are STILL using these sorry 1/4" jacks!
    They suck! I know it! You know it!
    I have been installing stereo input jacks (wired for mono) in my basses, so it will at least be a little more stable, BUT.....
    SURELY in the 21st Century we can come up with a better way of plugging in than this.

(I know. I know. "That's not important right now, and STOP CALLING ME SURELY!")
  2. lakefx

lakefx Supporting Member

Because if we change it you need to replace the jack in your vintage instrument or carry at least 2 types of cables to gigs.
  3. jessicabass

jessicabass

We have wireless.
    ;)
  4. BlueTalon

BlueTalon Happy Cynic

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Turnstyle Switch
    Stereo input jacks? Can you elaborate? (preferably with pictures...)
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. mcarp555

mcarp555

It would be a major pain in the posterior to have to retrofit millions of instruments to some 'newfangled' system, just because one guy has a beef with it. The old 1/4" doesn't bother me at all; why should I have to change?
    heavymetal0061 likes this.
  7. 1958Bassman

1958Bassman

Because they work, they're relatively inexpensive and they pull out when the user steps on the cable and didn't loop it around the strap button?

How is it more stable when you use a stereo jack?
  8. ngh

ngh

carsbybigd likes this.
  9. EricssonB

EricssonB

TR and TRS are great. They're simple and sturdy.

Do you have a better option?

Speakon seems to have replaced the critical, high power applications. That's good. I don't need that in my instruments.
  10. inthevelvet

inthevelvet Supporting Member

I'm sure in theory there's something better. But in most people's opinion it's not really broke. I plug my guitar in, kick ass tone comes out. I've been using the same 17' cable for 14 years now to practice and gig on bass and guitar and not one issue.
  11. ngh

ngh

if it ain't broke, fix it till' it is.
  12. BlueTalon

BlueTalon Happy Cynic

Disclosures:
    For me, that would be perfectly acceptable, assuming the change from 1/4" is to something that's clearly superior.
  13. BlueTalon

BlueTalon Happy Cynic

Disclosures:
  14. mccartneyman

mccartneyman

Disclosures:
    Managing Editor, Bass Guitars Editor, MusicGearReview.com
    Right-angled plug at the guitar and putting the cable through the strap should eliminate 99.99% of the problem of stepping on your cable and yanking it out. Back in 1971, my band opened for The James Gang and Glass Harp in Ohio. With Joe Walsh and Phil Keaggy looking on, our guitarist stepped on his cord and yanked it out of his Les Paul in the middle of the "Heartbreaker" cadenza by Zep. :eek:
    carsbybigd, SBassman, StayLow and 2 others like this.
  15. RedMoses

RedMoses Supporting Member

No option has presentaed better tone, more convenience and a cheaper price point to date.

Amps and Cabs have been using Speakon conenctors as of late and they have been a source of irritation a lot the past couple years for me as my GB head only has speakon outs.
  16. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

Why do they suck? I've never really had a problem with them at all.
  17. tobias3469

tobias3469 Supporting Member

maybe a snap jack magnet connector minus the 1/4"...

[​IMG]

Those magnets are surprisingly strong for those of you who haven't tried one.
  18. line6man

line6man

What exactly do you find to be wrong with 1/4" connectors and jacks? They serve their purpose perfectly, allowing 360 degree rotation, and quick disconnect when cables are put under tension. They are also appropriately sized to be sturdy and easy to work with. I suppose the one disadvantage is the open connectors that can accidentally be handled, causing noise, and the momentary short from tip to sleeve when plugged in. However, these aren't that big of a drawback, for the application they are used in.
  19. MR PC

MR PC

Using stereo 1/4" jacks male or female is PIA, ime. No improvement in sound whatsoever.

You can get locking 1/4" input panel jacks from Nuetric, they work real well if that's what you need. I've got one **on the rear** on my EUB. IMO, it's gonna be butt ugly to mount one of those on the front of a bass guitar though. Plus the first time somebody trips on your cable, you are going down with your bass.

http://www.parts-express.com/neutri...m3043X598154X422a2ae02080398ff90cda993b0c2c4c
  20. BlueTalon

BlueTalon Happy Cynic

Disclosures:
    Whenever I have problems with a cable/jack connection, ~99% of the time it's caused by a lose wire in the plug, and only ~1% of the time does the problem have anything to do with the jack.

While the magnetic connection is interesting, I suspect the source of potential problems would remain the same. I don't see how a magnetic connection would be a real improvement over the right-angle 1/4" plug I use, also mentioned by mccartneyman.
  21. cnltb

cnltb

"WHY ARE WE STILL USING 1/4" JACKS!"

They work. No?
    StayLow likes this.