why at least 2 basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by wrench45us, Jan 8, 2014.

1. wrench45us

wrench45us

well it may not apply past the beginner stages, but having more than one bass (that are different) to play on and get familiar with in the beginning stages, one learns about scale and neck geometry and maybe a few things about pickups and 'tone' and maybe matching strings to what a bass 'wants'.

I don't think this would come in a few minutes in a music store. I bought a bass after a few minutes in a music store because the neck felt so 'natural', but after a few months at home I got tired of the constant wrestling with the body and neck dive and the hiss that I hear in the quiet of my house that I didn't hear at all in the store.

And all in all that's a much better bass in most aspects than what I started with. Playing on one and then the other, the good and bad on both come to notice.

Now I don't think any of that explains collectors with more than say 5, but I could see 4 pretty easily and a year ago I couldn't see what anyone would get from more than one.
  2. Doctor J

Doctor J

Why the need to continually justify these things? I enjoy playing these instruments. I get a kick out of the aesthetics, I get a kick out of different tones, different feel. I like understanding the different design philosophies behind different manufacturers and models. The bills get paid so it's not an irresponsible pursuit.

I mean, you don't eat the same meal every day, so why not enjoy the variety of great basses out there too? Stop worrying about why and just enjoy the privileged times we live in. Play as many as you can, own as many as you like. Let the good times roll.
  3. Mastermold

Mastermold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    FireMelon
    I can't see why anyone needs 2 pairs of shoes. Or two shirts. Two pants. Underwear?? Okay maybe. ;)
  4. bachlover

bachlover Supporting Member

I picked up another guitar after years so I could have a 5. It really opened my ears to the tonal difference with the 4, actually gave me a greater appreciation for it. I find it really rekindled my interest as well, and I've been playing a lot more since I bought it.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Bassic Playing

Bassic Playing

Media:
    I have two basses that sound and play entirely differently. They cover all the bases/basses I need.

Also basses are nice.
  7. socialleper

socialleper

1.) Same band, two different tunings
    2.) If something goes wrong with one bass you aren't stuck
    3.) There isn't one bass that can produce the sound of every bass ever made
  8. BassChuck

BassChuck Supporting Member

I play mostly fretless, but there are times when a fretted bass is needed. For me that's all I need, but I do have several others sitting around that basically were good ideas at the time.
  9. tangentmusic

tangentmusic A figment of our exaggeration Supporting Member

Why at least 2 basses?
    To cover all bases...
  10. SeanNeedham

SeanNeedham

To call the hand on Murphy's Law.
  11. FrednBass

FrednBass

No bass is flawless.
    Yet, it's rare to find two basses that have THE EXACT SAME flaw.

So, there you go.
  12. PWRL

PWRL

If I were trying to justify it, I'd say that they were all like different tools in a box.
    Otheriwise I would just say that I love getting a new toy.
  13. Major Softie

Major Softie

For people who aren't just buying more because each one is cool in its own way, here are some categories lots of people like to fill:

4 string P

Jazz

5 string

Fretless

Active

So, you might cover all that with 3, 4 or 5 basses (depending on how you might combine features: 5 string active, Fretless Jazz, etc.), but if you get into the 6 or 7 string thing, that adds more. Then there's those who like a P and a J but also really want a Ric and a Stingray for their unique flavors.

And all that is without any real repetition: just expanding the range of your instruments. There's also people who like having two similar basses - one with rounds, one with flats - for the expanded range of tones that gives. Then there's all the things mentioned by others above.

So, no one here thinks of someone with 5 basses as a "collector." That's just someone with a few options. When you get over a dozen or so, then you start getting into really massive rationalizations if someone is trying to claim they actually have a "need" for all of them. A "collector" has already passed on trying to come up with a "need" other than the fact that they are the object that person collects.
  14. TN WOODMAN

TN WOODMAN

I currently have 9 basses and all have different personalities and playability /sound . Even more diversity in my guitar arsenal-31. Full support of the wife as well .
  15. NecroticImbecil

NecroticImbecil

I don't know how many basses I have. Every now and then I'll find one tucked away in the back of a closet or somewhere that I'd completely forgotten about.
  16. car_man65

car_man65

Finders keepers?
  17. NecroticImbecil

NecroticImbecil

They were mine to begin with, forgotten about, then I found them. If somebody else is searching my closets for basses I'd be slightly annoyed.
  18. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Supporting Member

If you're not a gigging musician, I don't think you can say you "need" two or more basses. Want more, like to use more, fine, but not "need." For a gigging musician, 1) it's prudent to have a spare in case there's a problem with your bass at a gig, and 2) for different kinds of songs, you may need the tones of different basses - maybe one in a different tuning, with different strings or electronics or whatever.
  19. Major Softie

Major Softie

I believe, by this standard, the non-gigging musician does not even "need" one bass. ;)
  20. mcnach

mcnach

I like to have identical basses in different colours, that way I can pick one to go with the shoes that I am wearing at a particular gig :p
  21. Doctor J

Doctor J

That is as good a reason as anything else I've read :)