Why cant I fall in love with this Pedulla ET Thunderbass 5?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by rolorockbass, Jul 29, 2013.

1. rolorockbass

rolorockbass

I have been building a studio for a friend of mine and he is offering me a Pedulla Thunderbass ET 5 as payment. It is beautifully crafted and Everyone around me loves it but I can't seem to get past the size and not getting the sound I want? Am I crazy? :meh:
  2. bassteban

bassteban

They are AWSOME basses, superb build quality, nice tone. I did not fall in love w/the one I tried yrs ago, not sure why. My main players are a MIM P and a custom 6 that cost 4x what the P went for. We're musicians, not scientists. ;)
  3. two fingers

two fingers Loud Mouth Know It All Blowhard Gold Supporting Member

I have played a dozen or more Pedulla basses and could not stand any of them. Of course, the build quality is outstanding. But just not my thing at all.
  4. RickBlair

RickBlair

Maybe you should look for the instruction manual for the bass and see what the tonal options are. I think they have a 'Thunderguts' circuit that can be switched in and out. It's all custom Bartolini electronics unless someone replaced them.

I agree that the build quality is excellent on these instruments. They are made a few towns away from where I live. Still trying to find his dumpster. :D

Rick B.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. grendle

grendle Supporting Member

What woods are in that particular one? Aside from the penta's those are the only ones I liked.

If ya hate it, pre sell it to one of the guys who loves it and go for something YOU like.
  7. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Something like this might help (Aguilar OBP-3).

[​IMG]
  8. rolorockbass

rolorockbass

I ended up getting a warwick streamer lx 5. Thank you all for the advise.
  9. nortonrider

nortonrider

I've got a friend who had/has a Pedulla buzz bass
    Everyone drooled over it except for me, I thought it was........
    well let's just just say it was not appealing to me.

He moved away, may still have it, I don't know.
    That bass was the epitome of Anti-GAS for me.
  10. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

:cool:
    I've owned a few.
    Super nice made bass. For me it's the pickups, they just fall short.
    Never could get it to sound great.
    Maybe it's the pre-amp?
  11. LaBassGuy

LaBassGuy Supporting Member

How are the pickups deficient somehow?
  12. JTE

JTE Supporting Member

I lusted after Pedulla basses since the first ad in Guitar Player ages ago. Got to play around with a few at various NAMM shows. But when I had the chance to sit down and spend some uninterrupted time, they didn't move me. Great basses, ridiculously well crafted and designed, and beautiful. But they didn't speak to me. And it ain't the electronics because some of those tryouts were unamplified.

John
  13. jphilauren

jphilauren

Great basses haven't found his dumpster either! I own a 4 and 5 string Thunderbass great playing and sounding! Every bass has a personality, not many dislikes or negative views on Pedulla from TB members so must be good! FYI his Bart pickups are active not passive and if preamp has been changed then there is the possible problem area
  14. LaBassGuy

LaBassGuy Supporting Member

So how does the Thunderbass tone compare to the Ken Smith or Roscoe tones?

Some of the observations I've read is it produces nothing but low end rumble.
  15. pacojas

pacojas "FYYA BUN" Supporting Member

i took my Fender Jazz to a recording session and the engineer almost insisted i play the house Pedulla. i tried,... I HATED IT!!!:( my bass was set-up to my liking, the Ped was not, so i'm leaving it at that. :)
  16. zortation

zortation

They look kinda meh.
  17. songwriter21

songwriter21 Bassist for Chris Higbee Supporting Member

I also thought that Pedullas would be amazing. But, I went to NAMM a few years back, met Mike and tried his basses...not impressed at all with the playability. This is one of the biggest conventions in the world, where luthiers should have their BEST, and his weren't set up properly, because he said he didn't have time. That's the one time you don't want to be not ready. I had the same experience with Sadowsky, as I was NOT impressed, but at least Roger had his basses set up better...not great, but better.
  18. pedulla1

pedulla1 Supporting Member

As my username suggests I once owned a pedulla Thunderbass 5. Hated the tone. My keyboardist would always say "turn up the bass knob" but I already had it maxed!. Finally I switched out the preamp for a Pensa-Suhr and Voila! tone and punch for days! I ended up selling it a bit later because I hated the length and overall feel but the stock preamp was crap to my ears.
  19. cnltb

cnltb

Well if it's not for you, it's not for you.
    You are NOT crazy.
    Money is much better as payment these days...MUCH BETTER :)
  20. songwriter21

songwriter21 Bassist for Chris Higbee Supporting Member

Btw, if you want some phenomenal brands (ones that blew me away at NAMM), I highly recommend MTD (US models), Mike Lull, and especially Warrior.