Why Did You Choose Plectrum ?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by JackB1, Jan 18, 2013.

1. JackB1

JackB1

Hi guys
    I'm doing a dissertation on plectrum style players for my degree in Commercial Music and I wanted to find out from all you bassists who use a plectrum the reason as to why you chose to play with a pick. As little or as much detail as you would care to give.
    Thanks
    Jack
  2. autodidact

autodidact

I play primarily precision basses and I just love the full, bright sound you can get with a pick. Also when I started playing a lot of the punk guys I idolized used picks and I sort of just picked it up along with their playing style. Some times certain music just sounds better picked
  3. Rageadon

Rageadon

I like the "clacky" sound, and the bass sounds louder too ;P!
  4. jgroh

jgroh Supporting Member

I chose a pick because my first teacher chose it for me! =)

I have since learned to use my fingers on 90% of the songs we play, but I still love the pick on certain ones. It gives a clean and clear tone that cuts through the mix.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. PatQ

PatQ

I love how it makes my Thunderbird sound. And I really like how you can use your palm to mute the strings!
  7. BlistryFingas

BlistryFingas

The strident, crisp tone. That trebley punch.
    Also, my musical influences include many bassists who use picks:
    Justin Chancellor - Tool
    Jon Duke - John Mark McMillan
    All Grunge bands
    Most Stoner bands

The timbre/tone of a picked bass accommodates a certain sound.
    I can't encapsulate the entire scope of what style sounds good with picked bass, but
    typically tone-rich music where the guitar is distorted or very bright and the drums are solid and tight. It makes for a sound that "cuts".
  8. FrednBass

FrednBass

*grabs popcorn*
  9. perogato02

perogato02

For the punch and extra attack
  10. NickyTrigger

NickyTrigger

Primarily this band:

And just because I love the tone. A pick is great to achieve a really focused, punchy sound that, like has been said before, works especially well with a very "straight" drummer. I used to be a fingerstyle player but switched to pick because it worked MUCH better in the styles of music I play.
  11. ducknturtle

ducknturtle

12. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

I started using one because Sir Paul used one and for rock the attack with a pick is the sound I'm looking for.
  13. fourtet102

fourtet102 Supporting Member

Love its sound for palm muted funk lines. Quicker attack.
  14. El-Bob

El-Bob

I've learned pick and fingerstyle, and use what works best in a given situation.
  15. fearceol

fearceol

Because I am not a "real" bassist. :bag:

Sorry guys !!!

Could n't resist that one ! :D

OP, you are new to the forum so I'll explain. The silly statement "real bassists dont use a pick" has often been made by finger style players about pick players.
  16. Mike in Chicago

Mike in Chicago Supporting Member

Is a "plectrum" a pick?

I think my idols Adam Clayton, Duff McKagan and the guy from Greenday use one...<s>
  17. SquierJazz72

SquierJazz72

I primarily play fingerstyle for my own stuff, but I will experiment on some things and see what I like better. If it goes better with a pick, I use a pick.

Doing covers, I tend to stick to what the original player did. If I know a certain player uses a pick all the time, or did on a certain song, I use one too, just to stay closer to the tone and feel of the original.
  18. phii

phii

When you use a pick on a punchy bass like Stingray, Wal or Precision, the attack will be SHARP~
  19. flipmouse

flipmouse

I play mostly fingerstyle with a fair amount of fingernail, but keep a thumb pick on for certain things like fast double stops and octaves. I sand down the thumb pick until it barely sticks out past the thumb...kinda like a fingernail on the side of the thumb. Not sure if anyone else does this...i started doing it because I just couldn't get fast enough with fingers alone. Not that I am yet as fast as I would like....guess I can still dream.
  20. Stevorebob

Stevorebob Supporting Member

I played guitar for a number of years, so when I picked up a bass, using a pick felt more natural to me. Now, I prefer the sharper attack of a pick and the ability to palm mute.
  21. 4dog

4dog

Mostly fingers now, started with a pick and felt limited, i do love the pick attack tho.