1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Why Do Bass Players Feel Inferior?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by ZenG, Feb 7, 2014.

1. ZenG

ZenG

So many posts where bass guitar players have to justify buying a bass or learning to play one.

The constant referrals to being the "unsung heroes" of a band....

The constant comparisons to lead guitarists or drummers who are getting more of the spotlight than they are.....

The list goes on....

You don't hear Piccolo players justifying their positions in an orchestra.....or the Cello players in a classical band apologizing for being there.....

You don't hear trumpet players describing themselves as failed "fill in the blank" players........

What's with bass players????/

2. elgecko

elgecko

I wonder the same thing.

3. petrus61

petrus61 Supporting Member

The stereotypes are all true. Sorry.

4. bassteban

bassteban

Those of us that do not lack self-esteem do not need to say so- you're only going to hear from those w/inferiority issues

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Radio Face

Radio Face

Because bass is difficult to hear in the mix and can easily be replaced by a keyboard bass.

7. ArtechnikA

ArtechnikA I endorsed a check once... Gold Supporting Member

There is a difference between 'inferior' and 'introverted.'
    I may prefer to live outside the spotlight but not because I feel inferior.
    Maybe some do - I can't speak for all.
    But I think the 'inferior bass player' is a stereotype promulgated upon us rather than perpetuated by us. (Several thread on this topic already.)

So you can put this in the same bin as 'why do all bass players play Fenders.'
    We don't.

8. tangentmusic

tangentmusic A figment of our exaggeration

I feel neither inferior nor superior.
    Some people just have issues...

9. Kmonk

Kmonk

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Fender, Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings
    I wasn't aware that bass players felt inferior. I have been playing for 35 years and have never felt that way. I have never met a bass player who feels that way either. I know some great guitarists who struggle playing bass and some great bass players who can't play anything else.

10. petrus61

petrus61 Supporting Member

Lol

11. chuck3

chuck3

because we know we're not there for our musical skills, but rather because someone has to keep the band's female followers happy. :bassist:

12. Rezdog

Rezdog Supporting Member

Greetings from the North,

Not me! lol And neither do the ones that I know :)

Rezdog

13. steveb119

steveb119 Supporting Member

I second
    tangentmusic I feel neither inferior nor superior.
    Some people just have issues...

14. delta7fred

delta7fred

I've never felt inferior.

I always made sure that was one step ahead on theory and technique and could kick the guitarists ass (on guitar), but only if need be.

You only need to do that once and you have their eternal respect/fear/admiration/loathing/etc (delete as applicable). But it sure keeps them on their toes.

What really pisses them off is when you show them what they should be playing, on your bass. (Use this one sparingly unless they know you very well.)

My current guitarist is terrible at remembering riffs, something I excel at. He doesn't mind in the slightest if I remind him what he should be playing, in fact he will look across to me when he forgets.

15. chuck3

chuck3

to be clear (if it wasn't), my post above was goofing on the topic. I don't feel superior but I certainly don't feel inferior, and any of the many musicians I play with would back that up. I have to help guitarists along all the time.

16. tangentmusic

tangentmusic A figment of our exaggeration

Humility is balance & power.
    Don't think too much of yourself but don't think too little either.

17. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

This is so funny I was just having the same conversation with one of my unicorns as we shared a couple of fine cigars and a glass brandy off hand I forgot what conclusion we came to but man was that brandy good.

18. Rocker949

Rocker949

I'm an introvert who has never felt inferior at all playing bass. Being on stage has possibly been the greatest highlight of my entire life. I don't identify with the inferiority crap that some people keep talking about. I honestly don't see why people say these things.

19. AaronVonRock

AaronVonRock

Because many of us are failed guitar players.

20. punkjazzben

punkjazzben Supporting Member

I don't think I've ever been in a rock or jazz band, or classical group, that had members or leaders that considered bass unimportant, and because of this I've never felt the need to justify my existence. Perhaps those of us who feel, or are made to feel, inferior or 'simple' need to seek out some musicians with an actual understanding of music, musicianship, and the role of each instrument in an ensemble.

21. bassinplace

bassinplace

I play a Fender but I certainly don't feel inferior. On the contrary, as a bassist, I feel I am absolutely essential. Who's gonna move their butt without the bass? No one, that's who.