Why Do I Love GHS Bass Boomers???

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Bockscar, Nov 7, 2012.

1. Bockscar

Bockscar

I have used almost every brand and make of strings on my MIA jazz with EMG's. I'm fairly new to TB and I don't ever really see much about GHS Boomers other than that folks can't stand them.

I can't seem to find anything that sounds better to me. I actually took a set of TI jazz flats off of the bass to put Boomers on it! Crazy right!?

I wanted to like Dr Hi Beams, Rotosounds, or anything a little more unique but they just don't sound the same. Any thoughts on GHS Bass Boomers???
  2. dougjwray

dougjwray

I'm with you, although I've expanded my tastes a bit so that I use different brands on different basses (DR Fatbeams, Dunlop nickels, etc.). And I have flatwounds on a couple of basses, too.

But my "desert island" strings are certainly GHS Bass Boomers.
  3. Phalex

Phalex Yeah, I've got the moves like Jagger. Supporting Member

+1! I don't put anything else on my Ric!
  4. marc40a

marc40a

Big fan, here.

...great tension, grunty, full-bodied.
  5. miiitch

miiitch

i like them as well
    not searching for a bright tone on my 5er anyway, and they don´t feel rough at all :)

on my 7string i need (thin) stainless steels though
  6. oerk

oerk

I like them, but they go dead way too quickly for me.
  7. BogeyBass

BogeyBass

sorry never had much luck with them.

the ball ends would break on the A and D strings
    and i never had a set that would last longer than the first use.
    Its surprising, i must say they are consistent......at breaking.

But they do have a pretty bright tone, maybe that is what you like.

Likewise I used flats for awhile, then went back to round wound.
    And I enjoyed having some highend back and a little more aggressive feeling with overdrive tones.

So maybe that is what you like..... a change
  8. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Kohlman Bassworks
    This right here! D'Addario XL Brights for me.
  9. Phalex

Phalex Yeah, I've got the moves like Jagger. Supporting Member

That's what I like about them! No long break in period!

Kinda funny, that the thing I love about them is the thing others don't like about them.
  10. Jeff K

Jeff K Supporting Member

Ha! You're not alone. I use flats almost exclusively now; but years ago when I always used rounds, I liked them best after most people would consider them "dead".
  11. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

I found them alright, but as others have said I didn't get my money's worth. They went dead so fast.

I have yet to find a string I like as much as DR. My top contenders are D'addario BXP reds and Dingwall. I really want to try Peyson's out on my Dingwall.

I am sure I will give GHS another shot one day, but I certainly won't be going out of my way to get more.
  12. dougjwray

dougjwray

I've used Boomers since 1985 or so, and have broken exactly two strings in all that time. They were on consecutive nights-- I think I had a piece of gravel lodged in a bridge saddle, or something.
  13. dougjwray

dougjwray

Agreed. They are the least "piano string"-like roundwound string that I've ever found. That's exactly why I like them.
  14. bluesblaster

bluesblaster

My go to roundwound of choice for the past 20 some years. My main basses wear Labella DTF's but my Stambaughs and a one P bass are strung with Boomers and sound just fine to me.

To the OP, one of my J basses has TI's , tried some RW's once and hated it, put the TI's back on and it sounded awesome again. Maybe thats just me, I like flats on a J bass and Rounds on a P
  15. billgwx

billgwx Supporting Member

Light gauge Boomers were my round of choice for the most part in the 80's and 90's (sometimes used Ken Smith stainless). Took a detour for a couple of years and used light gauge D'Addario XL's--while experimenting with different rounds recently to try to reduce fret clanking I hit upon medium gauge Boomers and like their feel/sound on a J much better. Would probably use Boomers on my P too if their heavy gauge E string weren't so fat (.110).
  16. krafty

krafty

The last few sets I've had have gone dead on my fairly quickly (well, in comparison to the DRs I was using) but the cost differential takes the sting away from that. The other problem I used to have with GHS was that they were rougher on my fingers than other strings. This has gone away - probably because I've become manlier. :) The bulk GHS strings I can get dirt-cheap at the local music shop aren't as good IMHO as the packaged strings, but that may be just a false perception.

Anyways, GHS has grown on me a lot over the past 2 years, although I still do like DRs better on my ESP.
  17. Bockscar

Bockscar

I really appreciate all of the input from everyone! It's always awesome to get good feedback and input from other serious players!
  18. oerk

oerk

Maybe I should clarify. I'm referring to the point where they go really dead - no brightness or "elasticity" left at all. This can be 6-9 months down the road, and I've had better luck with other brands that took longer to reach that point.

I, too, don't like the initial break-in period. Especially the GHS are way too bright for me and I find myself hating the sound until they're properly broken in. After that, they sound quite nice until there isn't any life left in them. It's this period that's too short for me.
  19. SBsoundguy

SBsoundguy

I strongly dislike them. They go dead in a week.
  20. jasper383

jasper383 Supporting Member

I like them on my Ric and my Stingray. Lots of lows, and they break in super fast.