1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Why do I want this ugly thing (terra firma content)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by FenderBender82, Apr 9, 2014.

1. FenderBender82

FenderBender82

I've been considering a six string for some time and decided that I want a more modern sound to contrast my fenders. I never really considered Ibanez since the soundgears just never felt right to me. I played a few btb's in the past, but only low end ones. I liked the neck and the feel but like most Ibanez basses the electronics left me wanting. then I heard that the btb premium had nordstrand pups so I checked out the website and stumbled across the terra firma/ moby dick bass, I cant stop thinking about it! I know ill never see one in person so can I get some insight? is it really any better than the BTB1406e or the standard btb?

2. Skip_NJ

Skip_NJ Supporting Member

This thread is useless without pics, so Ill help you out
    [​IMG]

A lot of people love single cut bodies. Id wait until they hit stores and try one out, or try to get a store to order one for you to try out. Id also explore other options like the classifieds. 6 strings are less in-demand and you can find some good deals.

3. i_got_a_mohawk

i_got_a_mohawk

4. SteveC

SteveC

I don't know why you'd want that when you could buy my Roscoe 6 string instead. Way better bass - IMHO.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. FenderBender82

FenderBender82

i doubt my local GC would stock one, they only stock soundgear sr500's and fenders with the occasional stingray.

has anyone played one yet? how does it compare to a btb1405e or 1406e? those are what im really interested in.
    [​IMG]

7. Baird6869

Baird6869 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    I love the night life, I got to boogie....
    Not for $900, you cant.;)

I almost bought one a few weeks ago. One of the best <$1000 bass values I have ever tried. Killer bass for the $$$. Amazingly well built, pretty light and sounded pretty damned good.

8. FenderBender82

FenderBender82

Are you talking about the ibanez or the roscoe?

9. Baird6869

Baird6869 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    I love the night life, I got to boogie....
    The Ibanez is approx $900 new and an inexpensive used Roscoe is around $2k. The Roscoe will be a better bass almost always (I have owned a few and they were stellar) but no Roscoe can be had for under a grand.

10. SteveC

SteveC

True. But I bet it's more than twice the bass. ;)

11. HypersoulRocks

HypersoulRocks Supporting Member

Mine is back ordered from MF, so when I get it, I'll report to you...I think it looks awesome..

12. FenderBender82

FenderBender82

Its ugly in a awesome way. I cant imagine what it would look like hanging next to my other basses or how it would look at a gig. but if it sounds better than a double cutaway BTB it all makes sense.

13. rstellar13

rstellar13 Sarcastic Panda

i played it its ok...super heavy

14. FenderBender82

FenderBender82

the roscoe basses would be wasted on my skill level. I just checked out the website and they are beautiful. I would suggest that they take some of the profit from their $4500 bass sales and invest in a better website design. I think the idea of ibanez BTB's is to give us a taste of boutique instruments without having to eat ramen soup for a month.

15. SteveC

SteveC

Not wasted if it plays, sounds and looks good and inspires you to play. :D

Honestly, if you want to have success on a 6 string, the Roscoe neck is super comfy. In some ways it plays easier than my Roscoe 5 string. The C string is wasted on me, hence my desire to sell and get a Roscoe fretless 5 string instead. :bassist:

Sorry for the derail. Back to your thread. :ninja:

16. Hobobob

Hobobob Don't feed the troll, folks. Supporting Member

Electronics wise, the Terra Firma is on the same level as the BTB 676 and 776. Import Barts and Ibanez pre. Sounds good, but it doesn't have the Nordstrands that the premium basses have.

17. HypersoulRocks

HypersoulRocks Supporting Member

Just got mine..it's really nice for $1k! Now I just need to learn how to play it...

Attached Files: