1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Why do people dislike most Harley Benton products?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Redrama, Jan 27, 2014.

1. Redrama

Redrama

I've just noticed that people keep saying stuff like "Buy anything but HB" or "This is suprisingly good for a HB"

I'm just wondering why.
  2. 3234718

3234718 Supporting Member

This is the first negative opinion I've heard about the brand....or rather an implied negative opinion.
  3. FourBanger

FourBanger

It is a Chinese-made store brand, so many will dismiss them without ever trying one. I would assume they are on par with any other Chinese instrument for the same price.
  4. GregC

GregC Johnny and Joe Gold Supporting Member

I've been visiting TB pretty much daily for 7 years, and I had to Google the name just now. Never heard of'em before.
  5. 3234718

3234718 Supporting Member

I think they're a fairly popular cheapo brand in Europe. Not so much in the colonies.
  6. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    Because people who've been on talkbass for years and years who never heard of them get their first impression from someone who says they have a bad reputation.

If anyone ever asked me about them, now that I've heard of them, I'd have to say, "Don't know anything other than the fact that they don't have a very good reputation."
  7. hdracer

hdracer Supporting Member

Much the same as Acoustic / GC is here.
  8. DeliriumTremens

DeliriumTremens

Pretty sure they're the store brand for Thomann in Europe, analogous to Rogue/Musicians Friend
  9. FourBanger

FourBanger

Thomann house brand, made in the same place as some Ibby Epi and Peavey according to Wikipedia.
  10. FourBanger

FourBanger

Remember for any instrument though simy the act of playing it in Finland makes it better. Everyone I know in Porvoo just has a baseline cool level higher than the rest of Northern Europe. See: cellos.
  11. mark beem

mark beem Supporting Member

I've been here over 12 years and I had to Google it as well..
  12. GregC

GregC Johnny and Joe Gold Supporting Member

Well, I just Googled Porvoo and it looks lovely. Now I want to visit. I'm learning all kinds of things from this thread.:)
  13. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

I've never heard of them prior to this but I am pretty sure they're garbage. ;)
  14. Major Softie

Major Softie

Ah, I think the Danes would challenge that assumption about Finland - and this, coming from a Swede.

As long as we can all agree that the Norwegians are the least cool, I think we're all on the same page.
  15. Bassmunnky

Bassmunnky

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball MusicMan Guitars
    Great way to market a brand NO one has heard of...
  16. avvie

avvie Supporting Member

When the name "Joyo" is used in it's place everybody thinks they're great.
  17. HaphAsSard

HaphAsSard

"NO one"? Hardly true. Read the rest of the thread.
  18. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS * Supporting Member

For those who have actually heard of Harley Benton I would assume they might not like the products because they are various re-branded copies or clones. Some of it is probably decent stuff if you know what to pick, some of it not so good. Generally speaking you get what you pay for and Harley Benton is at the lower end of the scale.
  19. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member

It's a house brand with all it implies. You buy a name, not a product. It is generic gear, specs and construction can change randomly over time.

It isn't inherently bad gear, just the cheapest you can get so there isn't a lot to expect from it.
    Many, many europeans got started on 6 string bass or fretless with a 100€ Harley Benton.
  20. M.R. Ogle

M.R. Ogle Supporting Member

I have heard of Harley Benton.

Never heard of Porvoo, though.