Why do people "hate" Gallien Krueger speakers?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by BassMonstrum, Jul 9, 2008.

1. BassMonstrum

BassMonstrum

I don't mean eveyone, but I see a lot of people telling other TB'ers to stay away from their cabinets. Heads are highly recommended, but the cabinets are not as welcomed by some folks.

The reason I'm asking is because I'm considering a GK 1001rb-II and a GK-cabinet to fully utilize the bi-amp feature.

2. 62bass

62bass

They don't say to stay away from all GK speaker cabinets--just the budget line Backline cabinets and combos. The same applies to other manufacturer's budget line speaker cabinets.

All the Neo and Artist series cabinets I've tried are excellent and hold their own with all the other name brands.

3. BassMonstrum

BassMonstrum

I see... because I'm considering either a 212 NEO or a 410 RBH.

4. miss g

miss g

I have a 410RBH and I love it. Most people that shoot down GK have only heard their lower end stuff.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. staindbass

staindbass Gold Supporting Member

the major point is all modern bass amps have poor fidelity. especially the speakers ! yuk. all those foster tweeters that have a sound like crinkling a potatoe chip bag and it is supposed to be good. most cabs dont go below 50hz. (an svt is tuned to 80hz, and the bass fundemental is at 42 hz.) yes, the literature says its there, but where does it go when you get to the gig? sorry to be off topic. it has to be said. i have neve heard anyone dislike the krugers, but the are not as popular as they were in the 1980's. johnny a

7. BassMonstrum

BassMonstrum

Hi, and thanks for the reply!

Does your Gallien Krueger set-up hold up well in a bandsituation? As mentioned, I'm considering either the 410RBH or the 212NEO to go with a GK1001rb-II.

8. Femto

Femto

Two words: Hell yes.

More words: I have the slightly older 1001RB (not the II) and I run the GK 410SBX with the GK NEO212. It absolutely melts faces....and that's the 540 watt amp. I think the 1001RB-II is 700 watts if I remember correctly. Plus, the RBH cabinet *may* be a bit louder as it's ported, whereas my SBX is sealed.

The band I play in is a power trio with a loud drummer (he works in heavy engineering and is a big burly lad) and our guitarist runs a Marshall 100 watt tube amp with a full size 4x12. I very rarely get the main volume on the amp above 11 o'clock. Most of the time, I'm running somewhere between 9 and 10 o'clock and that's plenty.

With the RB-II, you'll have another 160 watts on me! :eek:

With only one of either cabinets (the 410 *or* the 212 rather than both) my rig will keep up fine too. You do get more bottom end with both cabs but hey, that's just down to more drivers and more speaker box. Get one or the other cabinet and be happy. Then if you want to destroy buildings, get the other. Heh heh.

9. jayarroz

jayarroz

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Glockenklang
    I don't like GK speakers and I have tried all of there line......But thats just my opinion!!! A lot has to do with the cabinet build not always the speaker. Suprisingly most companies use eminence speakers and its the cab you paying for. So every company has there own build. So GK speakers are not bad, I just don't like the sound the cab produces. Speakers literally only cost around 30 bucks!

10. TSanders

TSanders Supporting Member

I had an endorsement deal with Gallien-Krueger.

I ran a 1001RB-II with a Neo212 and Neo115. That was a great sounding rig. Honestly, one of the better sounding rigs Ive run. TONS of power. If I didnt like tubes, Id more than likely still run that rig.

Me with the full rig at the rehearsal spot:
    [​IMG]

11. Bassbasixx

Bassbasixx

What is the rated watts "rms" on your GK cabs ?

Never owned a GK but seems like another Under rated head power wise

12. BassMonstrum

BassMonstrum

WOW! That looks like a sweet rig!

13. DougD

DougD Bassman7654 Supporting Member

I can honest say that 1001 and neo 212 IS a sweet rig:) NEVER let me down, EVER. IMHO the problem people have is that GK's cabs are almost right up there with most of the boutique stuff (cost wise) and yet they are not considered boutique and are not the flavor of the month high end gear. I can tell you that a lot of gigging pros run a 1001/212neo:)

View attachment 96740

14. rabidrabbit2727

rabidrabbit2727

If you're looking into the 212NEO, be aware that the current model is not stackable with the 410. The new 212NEO should be out in a month or so (not sure of exact date), and it features different dimensions making it stackable with the 410 and the new 115 (which was also redesigned)

15. Jacob M

Jacob M

My GK 400RB combo's speaker just blew out while playing at about 4; dunno if that's part of a trend or what. Hadn't gigged with it too much, rarely played with it above 4 or 5, just straight up died.

16. Stanley Design

Stanley Design

It's because their standard cabs are big and heavy compared to most of the newer cabs in the market today. But they pack more punch and authority than most as well, great cabs if you can deal with size/weight.

17. jsingles

jsingles

as long as its not backline or goldline I HIGHLY reccomend GK

my gk SBX 115 is one of the best 115's I have ever played, and it beats the crud out of the ampeg one, which was my other immediate option at guitard center when i purchased it.

18. TBird1958

TBird1958 As a matter of fact....I am your Queen! Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist Mike Lull T Bass pickups
    I have 2 4x10sbx's to go with my 1001RB-II, have used them lots over the past three years - they're excellent, durable, at 95lbs a cab not too bad to move. I'll always play GK!

19. Timi

Timi

Its been a few years since I tried a GK cab, but I remember them being cold, sterile and lifeless with a really honky midrange and very little low end, however this is coming from a fan of Ampeg cabs, which just sound "right" to me.

20. Femto

Femto

The 410SBX is rated at 400 watts RMS and the NEO212 is rated at 600 watts RMS.

21. Geddyfleaharris

Geddyfleaharris

I see nothing wrong with GK cabs.........

[​IMG]