Why do some bassists go back to there ''old'' gear?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Thomas Kievit, Nov 24, 2012.

1. Thomas Kievit

Thomas Kievit Thou shall not F*** up the groove Supporting Member

Okay, bit lame on this one, but why is it that some bassists go back from their high end basses, to their less quality basses?

For example : I know that Marcus Miller plays a lot of Fenders and also has a signature bass, but he also owns a Fodera. You can't go better then that, is what I think :p So with that I try to say : Is it that some bassists who own and play high end basses, only use this for recording to get a clear sound on a album but when playing on stage, going back to their ''non'' - high end basses, so they have their sound they rely on?

2. anonymous073020132

anonymous073020132 Guest

Grass isnt always greener on the other side man. I've owned & played almost every high end bass & rig out there. Even custom made ones just for me but I always go back to Fender Jazz basses & Ampeg/Traynor Rigs. I'ts all about what works best for you in your hands & your sound.

3. chef wong

chef wong Banned

Most high end basses aren't really that much better than a good Fender.

4. JTE

JTE Supporting Member

"Better" is highly subjective, first of all. And there's a lot to be said for the specific sound of a specific instrument. Miller for example has commented that his original Jazz Bass does indeed have the typical dead spot on the G string, but he automatically plays those notes a little harder and that's part of the sound of that specific Jazz bass.

Despite the assertions of the "wood doesn't matter" club, each individual chunk of wood and metal has its own character and many musicians are after those specific individual characteristics.

John

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. TRichardsbass

TRichardsbass

Disclosures:
    F CLEF LLC, Music Industry Consulting and Sales
    To quote Glinda, the good witch, "There's no place like home."

We all gravitate back to the basses where we first really "got it." For me it's the Hondo Longhorn. I sold mine years ago, but am always on the lookout for one just like it.

7. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya

Shoot, I went to high end basses, back to junkers, and am now going back to high end stuff. The search is never over... although I'll take an EBMM StingRay just about any day of the week :D

8. NYCbassist

NYCbassist Supporting Member

My favorite bass is my 80's Squier Bullet 34" Scale. Maple neck & fingerboard. It has a 70's Vintage Fender P-Bass pickup other wise stock. Absolutely Killer. I love My Ric 4003 too but the Bullet is just amazing.
    My answer to the question is that the sound, Playability & Comfort inspires me to play better. I hit all the right notes when I play it. It let's me be the Bassist I want to be.

9. cableguy

cableguy Supporting Member

I always seem to gravitate back to my 81 G&L L-2000. I will never sell it. I will play other basses for a year ot two, then I'll play the G&L and remember why it's always been my bass. I really digging my Spector now but my G&L hangs waiting, knowing it's time will come......

10. gumbynotpokey

gumbynotpokey

I like the old phrase, "If your momma raised you on manure, you'd develop a taste for it."
    :D

11. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    You made that up yourself, didn't you?

12. shoot-r

shoot-r

BIG plus 1!!!!!

13. Kmonk

Kmonk

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Fender, Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings
    I have played many brands over the years including boutique basses. Last year I went back to Fender and Ampeg as my main gear. I think that as we progress as musicians we are always looking for ways to sound and play better. We try different brands but eventually realize that there was nothing wrong with what we had in the first place and end up going back.

14. Gintaras

Gintaras Supporting Member

I don't have any boutique basses but have a few fine mid level instruments. I keep gravitating to an old beat up Peavey Fury with a set of cheap flats and a badass bridge. Like it so much that it is time to get it a set of Chromes and new pots.

15. gumbynotpokey

gumbynotpokey

No, sir!

16. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Supporting Member

+1,000!

The amount of money spent on a bass does not mean it will work for a given player. In the case of Marcus Miller, he may have become the most famous pure bassist in the world because of how he sounds playing a Fender. Why on earth would he change the sound that has made him rich and famous?

As for Fodera, they are beautifully made, but that doesn't make them right for everyone.

17. David Jayne

David Jayne

::Backs carefully away from thread::

:p

18. Stephent28

Stephent28 Supporting Member

Variety.........
    I have a nice selection of basses (actually selling off about 4-6 of them) and I like to change things up every now and then.

Currently my giggin setup is Fodera YYS with rounds and Ric 4004cii with flats.
    Before that it was a EBMM Bongo with rounds and a Fender P-Bass with flats.

Sometimes I will play my fretless out or one of my old Ric 4001s.

They all sound great and they all play great. Variety....

19. ShoeManiac

ShoeManiac Supporting Member

It's really all about personal preference. I've gone through a couple of high-end basses, but they really weren't the sound that I was shooting for. My Zon 6 string stays home most of the time, while my main gigging bass is a Fender 5 string that sold for less than half of what my Zon cost me.

You don't need to break the bank for gear that will serve you well on stage and in the studio. With time I think most people come to that realization. And just because you spent thousands of dollars on one instrument, is that adequate justification for that instrument becoming your go-to instrument on stage? No. Finding that instrument that works well for you is about finding what fits your hands right. And the sound that matches the one in your head.

Just look at Eric Clapton and his famous "Blackie" strat. He bought 6 1950's Strats used from a shop in Nashville for about $200 each in 1970. He gave a few to friends, and pieced together Blackie from the parts of the remaining 3 guitars. And that frankenstein used guitar wound up being his main instrument for close to 20 years. Clapton could afford just about any instrument he wanted. But that Strat had the feel and tone that was right for him.

20. rapidfirerob

rapidfirerob Fusion rules! Supporting Member

A Fodera is right for me, as soon as someone buys it for me. Anyone?

21. Johnny Roots

Johnny Roots Banned

Ever know that one chick thats sort of butterface but incredible in the bed?