1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Why do they never get it right? (Epi Casady content)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Avezzano, Aug 6, 2012.

1. Avezzano

Avezzano

I mean: you have to boost the sales of a classic, established model, creating a "limited edition" for a given bass, right? Well, it's reasonable and legit, to me. So, why in the whole damn world don't you make a poll first and only after you select the color for said special run? I mean: would you like better the first or the second, instead? (Just asking for opinions)

[​IMG][​IMG]
  2. bassie12

bassie12

No silverburst for me. Like Antigua, to me it was ugly then, and ugly now. YMMV
  3. nubs

nubs Supporting Member

i like the silverburst, the standard 3tsb is SO common a dime a dozen with that finish...how many sunbursts in that scheme does one actually need....IMO
  4. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member

The silver finish looks a lot better to me. Sunbursts are boring.
    Just wondering, what makes you think that Gibson didn't enquire before releasing this model?
  5. Avezzano

Avezzano

the fact that most comments in the forums are not exactly full of enthusiasm.... I might be wrong, but my impression is three/four "bleah" and maybe one "wow"... (and maybe a couple of "well...")
  6. Jazz Ad

Which one are they releasing?
  7. Avezzano

Avezzano

you can easily find the black, the golden one and (recent) the silverburst. For only a brief period it was possible (several years ago, 97/98 if I am not wrong) to find the standard tritone sunburst, that to me, despite its large diffusion, is still one of the most appealing colors...

;)

[​IMG]
  8. mdogs

mdogs Supporting Member

They already release the silverburst. To me, I can't stand either one...
  9. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL A Hard Rockin Lover of GREENBURST Supporting Member

Thats why I took the liberty of refinishing mine ;)

[​IMG]
  10. Jazz Ad

Glittery greenburst, a la G&L. Lovely.
  11. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL A Hard Rockin Lover of GREENBURST Supporting Member

Thank you :)
  12. 12stringbassist

12stringbassist

I like the goldtop and sunburst - the silverburst possibly looks better 'in person', but
    from the photos I've seen, it does little for me. But if you like them, great..
  13. mongo2

mongo2

I don't like the Silverburst but I like the black pickup, ring, knobs, and guard.
  14. Freight Train

Freight Train Earth-based Alternative Scientist, Sex Researcher Supporting Member

Liked the gold one. Bought the gold one. Love the gold one.
  15. moebass

moebass

Im not a fan of the silverburst. I wish they would make a white one or a aged cherry,even just bring back the regluar sunburst.. You know the "good" gibson colors.
    Silverburst looks cheap. Although the silverburst is in my oppinion was not ment for me,but emo kids wanting somthing thats "not for old people".
    Well atleast there 3 color options.
  16. Templar

Templar Supporting Member

Not everyone thinks they "got it wrong". The Silverburst is an unknown quantity at this early point. It may very well prove to be the most popular finish of all. I like all the finishes, including the new Silverburst.

Just because a few nabobs on a web forum find it necessary to express their disgust with something hardly "proves" anything.

If anything has been "proven", it's that the Sunburst version was the least popular finish. Maybe that's why it is less common and no longer offered.
  17. Ninja>Pirate

Ninja>Pirate Supporting Member

Silverburst with cream plastics would give it the more vintage feel and add some contrasting tones to the monotonous tones of the body.
  18. jeffbonny

jeffbonny _____________ Supporting Member

That silverburst is about is about as far from "vintage" as you could get. As far as I've seen the original Gibsons came in black, gold and a tobacco burst.

The fact there's as much difference of opinion over the silverburst says loud and clear Epiphone blew it. If it were one of a dozen options that would be one thing but since it's one of what, three? it was pretty poor market research to come out with something that wasn't more widely liked. How about a trans-orange for example? or a reverse cherry burst? Lots of options that 95% of people would ooh and ah over.

I've had my eye out for the right JC Model for a while but I detest that silverburst and unless I got one cheap enough that I could comfortably afford refinishing it would keep me from buying one.
  19. Templar

Templar Supporting Member

Why? On this board there are differences of opinion about everything. Just means different strokes.

How on earth can anyone know that already? The Silverburst just came out.

Yeah? 95% ? lol
  20. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

On the JC, yes. Silverburst has been around for quite awhile though.

With that said, I don't think Epi blew it by choosing that color.