1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

why do u need a bass amp?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Oberg, Jul 13, 2007.

1. Oberg

Oberg

Hello, i was just thinking, how important is it to have a amp these days? often it´s just used as a bass monitor, everything goes out in big PA systems or small PA systems. u are never allowed to use your amp at such volyme that i sounds SO good, it´s always "keep the stage volyme @ minimum".

So why do u need a amp these days, can´t u just getalong with headphones/inear and a pedal maby a Pod?
  2. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: HCAF
    Cause my amp and cab sound good. :cool:
  3. Oberg

Oberg

yes i know that bass amps sounds good, that is why i have a nice amp, but i hardly use it for more than a DI, i never hear the sound from my cab just from the big house PA and the stage monitors.

so why should u buy expensive amps just so that a soundengineer can tell u to turndown
  4. alembic5

alembic5

Yep... my amp is part of my sound. I've played with in ears only before... and I completely lost the feel for the music. Felt totally disconnected. Plus, inevitably something always seems to change in the in ear mix, and I end up not being able to hear things. I prefer to have my amp on stage for my tone, and to make sure I have a backup in case something goes terribly wrong with the in ear system.
  5. Tony G

Tony G

Not everyone has the luxury of running direct to a good quality PA. I would rather have the audience hear my gear anyways, than some cheap PA equipment at a random club.
  6. Groovin

Groovin

My bass and amp are the constant at any gig. There are soo many other variables that I like to know that at least my two main components are going to be there for me. Rock solid. At EVERY gig, irregardless of the venue.
  7. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist

Disclosures:
    We have our own soundguy so it's not as big a deal. And even though we use IEMs now, my cab is for feel. I can't do it not pushing any air.
  8. Pako

Pako Are we having fun yet? Supporting Member

Smaller venues, you can somewhat control 'your' sound with 'your' bass rig. Larger shows, it really doesn't matter a whole lot except for what you want to hear to keep you in the groove. I like what I get out of my rig, it's predictable, and I know how to make it sound the way I want which lets me worry about other things.....like what I'm playing.

To each his own. If floor monitors or ear buds works for you than you just saved yourself thousands of dollars and tons of combined lifting.
  9. Oberg

Oberg

i have another question for those of u that uses your riggs, when i play i always get DI´d by the soundengineer so the signal he get´s is directly from my bass and then into the DI and the DI splits it, one to the board and one to the rigg. what difference does the rigg do in these situations, no matter what u do it´s the soundguy that has control over YOUR sound. what do to?
  10. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist

Disclosures:
    That sucks. I never take a signal just from my bass. It at least hits my pedalboard first and then a DI from my amp. DI's just don't cut it compared to the XLR out from your amp, unless it's one that costs more than your amp, which makes sense then anyways. :)
    Mine has a pre and post EQ option, and I have a wireless setup, so I'm always FOH during soundcheck making sure I sound good.
  11. Dave Bassincus

Dave Bassincus

I think Oberg is absolutely right. When I think of all the times I broke my back lugging an 8x10 to a club like like CBGB'S with a massive PA I could cry. Now? A 1x15 combo and my own DI so I have some control over monitoring & my tone. But massive volume? That's the PA's job. And soundguys like me just fine.
    (Note - if I played small venues with only PA for the vocals I might have to rethink that, but my solution would probably be a Markbass-weight head & neodymium cabs)
  12. JKT

JKT

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Barker Basses
    First, out of curiosity, what types of gigs/venues are you playing?

Second, I do large shows too with sound techs, and it has been quite awhile since someone asked me to turn down and so it begs the question, exactly how loud do you like your amp in these situations? I suppose if you and the drummer had an absolutely bitchin separate monitor mix that you had total creative control over, you could get away with it as long as your front-end processing (whatever that is)
    was giving you the sound you wanted.

But if your talking about just in-ear monitors in a run of the mill large PA monitor mix, no thanks. Among the many wonders of the bass amp, yet another thing that it does is to keep the bass player and drummer connected in real time. When I work with a drummer that gets it, I enjoy hearing the sounds he creates and I assume he enjoys hearing my sounds.

Sooner or later at some point the human ear is going to want to hear air moving. If this were not so, there wouldn't be so many recording engineers taking so much time miking guitar and bass amps so they can capture the real deal.

We are arguably the most powerful instrument in modern ensembles. Rhythm, melody, harmony, we provide it all. Do we really want to hide all that in an in-ear monitor?
    Try this: cop the best killer bass sound out of you expensive amp but turn it down and make the sound tech and drummer beg you to turn it up

JKT :bassist:
  13. JKT

JKT

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Barker Basses
    DIthe AMP!! :cool:

JKT
  14. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Because a lot of people spend megabucks on boutique amps and would hate to think that they don't really need them! ;)

I've played several gigs amp-less and thought it was great. No fuss, no muss. As many have pointed out, however, that sometimes the PA is either not up to snuff, or you're in a _very_ small venue in which your bass amp is all the amplification that you're going to get.
  15. Oberg

Oberg

i have been playing small-medium and big outdoor gigs, i have used big backline amps, SVTs 1x15 and 4x10 or just a 4x10 and my little EBS hd-350 with 1x12 and regardless how high or low i put the volyme im always asked to turn down. it might be becuse the rooms often have trubles with acustics especialy when u are talking about bass frequensis.
  16. Bassman62

Bassman62

because we like to work and most venues in the UK are pubs that don't have house systems
  17. smakbass

smakbass Smakkin basses for 25 years..

Your also putting a lot of trust into the soundguy who is managing quite a few things already...
  18. Oberg

Oberg

yes that is true, for me i think going with my little EBS rigg and use the amp as a DI when i don´t wanna houl the cab with me is my personal choice, but i still can´t figure out why the "pro´s" still use BIG cabs and heads when they can use something smaller when they dont need massive wattage.

i know that when i go to a big venue i dont need anymore than maby a active DI box and wireless IEM. thats it, i can take the buss and still have a extra hand.
  19. Bassman62

Bassman62

They buy their rigs to get the sound that they want to hear, they want the audience to hear their sound.
    Their is nothing like standing in front of a top class rig that makes you trousers flap about.
  20. 8mmOD

8mmOD

i'd say

#1 Endorsement Deals
    #2 It looks cool

when you have roadies, the weight of your gear no longer becomes an issue.

Keep in mind that cabs get mic'd sometimes too, its not always DI to house.

But also keep in mind that with a big stage & house system... the reality is... the soundguy IS in control of your FOH sound.