Why do we do it???????

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by two fingers, Jan 4, 2013.

1. two fingers

two fingers Loud Mouth Know It All Blowhard Gold Supporting Member

So, I played a gig New Year's Eve and my gear just sounded amazing. It really did. For some reason a Roscoe Beck sig, Mesa Walkabout 15" stack, and my heavy handed technique come together for some tone nirvana. Sound guy was falling all over himself about it. He even took pics of my rig so he could show other players. The bass player from the other band just hovered right by my rig during his set breaks shaking his head. He was blown away.

However, recently, I got a V4. And now I am sitting around on my only day off scanning the local CL and some TB ads looking for a cab to go with it.

Why????? I already have a good backup head (Shuttle 6.0) and a bunch of small cabs laying around. And my favorite rig just gets it done. And I mean REALLY gets it done.

OK I know the short version is GAS. But dang! This is senseless! Oy. I'm going for a hike. I need to get outside.

Just venting gang. Sorry.

2. StrangerDanger

StrangerDanger Neo Maxie Zoom Dweebie Supporting Member

I can relate. I have bought, sold and swapped and never seem to be really satisfied. I don't know the solution but good luck to both of us in finding it.

3. bassteban

bassteban

I believe we as humans are often wired to *look longingly at the greener(we imagine)grass/hotter, younger woman/new rig...*
    Bass gear rarely complains or leaves you over a wandering eye, so there's less discouragement, and we refrain from hitting the brakes...:cool:

4. TolerancEJ

TolerancEJ

Hmm... Makes me wonder if it is better to GAS for a new instrument or a new amp? Or does it matter at all? I've been happy with my Ampeg setup, although one day I'd like to pick up a B410HE 4X10 cabinet to complete a full stack. But daily, I just keep looking longingly at all the basses posted on TB.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. SactoBass

SactoBass There are some who call me.......Sactobass

BASS stands for Buy And Sell Stuff.

It is a disease......a debilitating, infectious disease of which there is no cure.

And it's fun! :bassist:

Besides, deep down inside, there is just something about a vintage Ampeg tube amp that calls our name.

7. Richland123

Richland123

I guess I'm just happy with my stuff and play it forever. I love to go to music stores and check out basses and amps but don't have the desire or money to buy anything. I have been playing the same bass for 29 years this month. I had two amps I bought in 1975 and 1976 that I used up until 4 years ago and I finally bought a new one but still kept the old ones. I still have my old basses I bought in 1971 and 1975 and they still play fine.

8. SteveC

SteveC

I have done the same thing. Had perfectly good basses and sold them thinking I could find better. I am trying to get off the merry-go-round now. I am going to go with a fretted and fretless pair of Roscoe Century 5's. Great basses. I can cover most gigs. There isn't much better - in my opinion - than a Roscoe. Different maybe, but not necessarily better.

I think at a certain point you have to just make a decision, pick something, stick with it, be happy and enjoy playing.

9. TolerancEJ

TolerancEJ

lol @ the acronym for B.A.S.S. Except I don't like selling instruments. I've only ever sold my first bass & there are times when I wish I hadn't. Now, for the right bass, I might sell maybe one of my body organs, maybe my soul, etc.