1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Why do we have favorite things?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Munjibunga, Dec 1, 2013.

1. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    My teenage daughter came up with this question tonight. Why do we have a favorite color or a favorite animal or things of that sort? When it comes to things like basses and cars, there are plenty of reasons why one or the other might be your favorite, but what about less tangible things like color or a song?

2. Dale D Dilly

Dale D Dilly Monster

I think it just gives us a way to define ourselves. Having a favorite color is just like having an intangible personality trait.

having favorite cultural texts like songs or fashion styles also allows us to identify with specific groups, which is very useful when meeting new people.

3. pica

pica

My favorite color is purple. Not sure why. Liked it ever since I was a kid.

4. Dale D Dilly

Dale D Dilly Monster

Also my favorite color. Purple is awesome.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Milk

Milk

You mean like raindrops on roses and whiskers on kittens or bright copper kettles and warm woolen mittens? Or like brown paper packages tied up with strings? Cause personally, these are a few of my favorite things. Also in no order, cream colored ponies and crisp apple streudels, doorbells and sleigh bells and schnitzel with noodles, wild geese that fly with the moon on their wings. These are just more of my favorite things. Oh and i almost forgot, girls in white dresses with blue satin sashes, snowflakes that stay on my nose and eyelashes, silver white winters that melt into springs. Yep. These are definitely most of my favorite things.

7. Indiana Mike

Indiana Mike

My favorite letter is A

Don't know why .

When doodling I've found myself drawing different variations of it over and over , enough to cover an entire piece of paper .

I've always found that a bit odd.

I wonder if favorite things have to do somewhat with , amongst other emotions ,familiarity ,security and sense of well being .

8. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Supporting Member

Media:
    I hear ya bro. When the dog bites or the bee stings, or when I'm feeling sad, just thinking of a few of those is enough to stop me feeling so bad.

9. Unrepresented

Unrepresented Something Borderline Offensive Supporting Member

Media:
    Important people have preferences because their satisfaction is valued. I want to be important, therefore, I need to have preferences too.

10. Munjibunga

Disclosures:
    It looks especially nice at the top of a term paper.

11. Munjibunga

Disclosures:
    I prefer the CN212.

12. PAC

PAC Banned

For some reason I can't explain I have always been attracted to flakes. I have always found most of these people to be extremely intriguing. However, early on I learned to just watch from afar. I really don't prefer these people, but I feel an attraction.

Paul

:help:

13. knumbskull

knumbskull

Emotional impulses based on our experience of the world.

I like the number 8.

14. FilterFunk

FilterFunk

I like this answer.

I think that most of the time, something becomes a favorite of yours just because it hits you right. It not always a societal or cultural thing; not everything can be explained.

15. Monster Truck

Monster Truck groove student Supporting Member

I think as far as colors go, we have a favorite because as a young child it was associated with a favorable item or event. We may not remember said item or event, but the subconscious bring us back to that warm fuzzy feeling.

If anyone is keeping track I like orange, but for most things I buy I'll pick black if given an option.

16. PAC

PAC Banned

I like it better upside down. 8 See what I did there?

Paul

:bag:

17. iamdenialNJ

iamdenialNJ Supporting Member

The feeling of being 'on the road' is one of my favorites. Sometimes I get this feeling just driving to the grocery store.

Hand written notes too..