1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Why Do We Join The Wrong Bands

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by bluewine, Nov 21, 2012.

1. bluewine

bluewine

You guys probably saw this one coming. This does not need to be a long thread.

There have been more than one threads recently about guys quitting bands and frustrated about the experience after a year or so.

So, why does this happen. I don't think all the reasons things didn't work out were not evident initially before joining. Things like:

The band had no history of success or stability.

Lengthy distance for travel to rehearse.

Rehearsals in excess of twice a week for no reason.

Limited and questionable material.

No history of gigs or a market for gigs.

I say it's because we join out if emotion and we don't define our requirements or what we want out of a band before joining.

I have joined bands that were not a match for me so I will start this thread off.

Blue

View attachment 301303
  2. bluewine

bluewine

I joined an originals pop rock band and it was not a good experience. Few gigs, way to much rehearsal and a very uninformed poor band leader.

I joined because I fell in live with the material and I forgot about everything I wanted out of a band.

I learned from my mistake after I quit.

I'm in a successful cover band now.

I defined my requirements and researched everything I could on the band before joining.

Blue
  3. jaywa

jaywa

Can't say I've ever joined a band I shouldn't have... but I've taken gigs on a sub or one-off basis that I wish I hadn't. Usually that happens either:

1) When I haven't been playing a lot and basically will do anything to get onto a stage and making some money, or

2) Because someone else is on the gig (or may be in the audience) who I want to impress so I'll take the gig as a networking move. Those have rarely if ever paid off.

I suppose you could scale these reasons up to a band level too.
  4. nortonrider

nortonrider

Wait...... What...... bluewine is in a cover band ??????
  5. plankspanker13

plankspanker13

Everyone has to go through a similar experience, it would seem. One of my earliest bands was a "bowling night" band, since we rarely played out, but rehearsed regularly and rigorously.

These days, I gig more than I rehearse, and I owe that to the "unplugged" trend of the 90's that opened up the door for acoustic (or in my main band's case, "lite" electric) performances. Our "lite" gigs amount to paid rehearsals for our full band/higher-profile gigs.
  6. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

Why Do We Join The Wrong Bands

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Because there are very few good bands out there
  7. deepBassie

deepBassie

^ This has been my deal for the most part. Not being able to accurately predict what the future holds doesn't help either.
  8. bluewine

bluewine

Yes, for over a year.

Again defined what makes me happy and what I wanted out of a band experience.
    Which would not happen for me in an originals band.

Blue

View attachment 301304
  9. ma4rk

ma4rk

It's about not knowing how to pick your battles... the question to me is: Why Do We STAY In The Wrong Bands.
  10. bluewine

bluewine

Good point, however I'm not sure it's a reason for joining a "bad" band.

It's a tough call, but I think I'd wait it out until something good came along.

Blue
  11. Kmonk

Kmonk

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Fender and Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings
    The main reason is that if you worried about joining the wrong band you would never join any band. You never know if the band is wrong for you unless you join.
  12. bluewine

bluewine

Yes, another great question.

For me , I stayed because I thought the material is so great this band will catch on eventually.

We didn't catch on and where I learned that "smokin" material doesn't aways mean anything.

blue
  13. bluewine

bluewine

I can't agree with you, I think there are signs that a band is not right for you prior to joining. For some reasons that will come up in this thread, we ignore those signs.

blue
  14. Kmonk

Kmonk

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Fender and Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings
    That's true but in most cases we never really know what we are getting into until we join. People will say just aboout anything to get a quality musician to join them. Sometimes we realize that the situation is not a good fit right away but more often than not we join and find out later that things are not what we thought.
  15. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME! Supporting Member

"Why Do We Join The Wrong Bands?"

For the same reasons we date the wrong girls... you dont always know theyre the wrong girl/band until you've been through some.

IME, every girl Ive dated has been better than the one previous. Why? Because I learned something more about myself, what I want, and what Im willing to tolerate in a relationship. Since Ive lived through the negative Im now more capable of identifying those traits before getting involved with someone new. Being that a band is a multi-personel relationship, I think it holds just as true with bands.

Never settle.
  16. Bass_Pounder

Bass_Pounder

If it was "that easy" to determine the right fit before joining a band, then it should also hold true to other areas of life.

Just think, no more changing jobs, no more divorce, etc.

Problem is, it is not so simple.
  17. Thick McRunfast

Thick McRunfast Supporting Member

I read this long ago and it made me think -- The one constant in all your dysfunctional relationships is you.
  18. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME! Supporting Member

IMO, its less so that those things were not evident before joining, and more so that we didnt know how to identify them before joining.

All the things you listed could be identified before joining a band:

-The band had no history of success or stability. This can be found out by looking the band up online and asking the members about it.

-Lengthy distance for travel to rehearse. Ask where they rehearse before accepting a position in the band

-Rehearsals in excess of twice a week for no reason.Ask how often and how long they practice before joining/auditioning

-Limited and questionable material. Ask how many songs are in their repertoire and what they are before joining/auditioning

-No history of gigs or a market for gigs. Ask how many gigs they have played, and check the bands market out before joining/auditioning

I would agree with that, and add that sometimes, especially earlier on, we dont know exactly what our requirements are or what we want out of a band. Those things need to be learned over time.

Foolishness or hope. :smug:

If we're in the wrong band, we have to identify why its the wrong band, otherwise we may be doomed to join another.

You can know that some bands are not right for you before joining, otherwise we'd have to join every band to figure that out.
  19. jaywa

jaywa

All of this points out the EXTREME desirability (to me anyway), whenever possible, to have some sort of pre-existing "in" with the band you are joining.

Honestly, at this point in my life I would have to be exceedingly desperate to answer a CL ad or music store flyer and participate in a "blind" audition with 3 or 4 other people I have never met nor played with before. Before I accept any project these days, I pretty much have to:

1) know/have played with at least one of the other people involved (so I can get the straight skinny on the situation and know we'll be a good musical fit, and/or

2) have seen them play live - so I know what kind of material they're doing, what kind of places they're playing, what kind of crowds they're pulling and if their overall presentation is up to snuff.

As you can deduce, these criteria also pretty much eliminate me from any sort of "start-up" situation, for which I lost the time, energy and patience quite a few years ago. Having only anecdotal evidence to draw on but I would suspect at least 75% of the factors that cause people to be frustrated with their band situations are directly or indirectly part of the territory with a start-up band as opposed to joining an established, regularly gigging outfit.
  20. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    HPF Technology: Protecting the Pocket since 2007
    I think it's partly because we're eternal optimists, and partly because they've got something we want, which is a position in a band, so we overlook the negatives.