1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Why do we sell our Musicman Stingray?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by badboy1984, Feb 1, 2011.

1. badboy1984

badboy1984

Is something I don't quite get. They are nice bass and is very good in terms of tone and quality.

I've own a Musicman Stingray myself and is a 3EQ trans orange. Cost me over £1250 brand new.

I don't know why but I feel I wanted to get rid of the musicman stingray for a nice MIA Precision or a Warwick Streamer Stage 1 or LX ........
  2. BagelBruin

BagelBruin

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Artisan Bass Works and South Paw Pedal Boards
    YAY! More Stingrays for me!
  3. allexcosta

allexcosta

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: MLaghus Custom Basses
    Many reasons...

Being broke
    G.A.S. for something else
    Don't get used to the sound
    Cocaine addiction
    Heroine addiction
    Move from 4 to 5 strings
    Band producer wants a green bass
    Back pain
    Quit playing bass
    Serious disease
    World will end in 2012 and playing bass doesn't make sense any more
  4. bh2

bh2

I had to sell mine to pay bills... cry.
  5. JoshuaTSP

JoshuaTSP Supporting Member

I sold my Stingray because when I wasn't home it shook my newborn infant to death. :(
  6. christw

christw Always searching for the right Ric... Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: J Worrell Bass
    I sold my favorite bass of all when I ran out of money because it was the only one I owned that was worth any. I miss you tux '75 Ric 4001...
  7. badboy1984

badboy1984

The bass really put me off when practicing myself or playing at home, but it always sound great with the band ..........

I guess if i don't play the bass at home then i will like it, just got to make sure i don't get it out at home lol
  8. pringlw

pringlw

WT:eyebrow:
  9. Christoph

Christoph

I sold mine to pay for a laptop to write my master's thesis. I never bought one again because I realized the bass was just too heavy for me and gave me sore back and shoulders after long gigs.

I loved it though, and remember it fondly. :crying:
  10. joelb79

joelb79

I found myself selling my old musicman because It was sounding to bright and too punchy for all the work I was doing. I remember being in distain about owning this over $1k bass that sat in the case and never saw action while $400 Fenders that had a bigger rounder sound got all the show work.

So I sold mine for that reason, to purchase another Fender.

I'm so glad that they now make halfway decent copies of them for under $400 so I can have that tone around myself. I guess when it boils down to it, I've played a lot of great $1800 MM basses that have a wonderful sound for me, but they don't have enough sounds in a single H been enough to justify the price tag for my collection. The HH's didn't seem to be able to replace the Fenders, and the HS ones didn't sound cool enough. The Indonesia sterling I have with the Nordstrand mm4.3 actually sounds better than most musicman's ive tried.
  11. MMailloux843

MMailloux843

Should have done your research!
  12. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

I find the 3 bad EQ rays bit bit sterile and thin sounding (more or less what Joelb said). But, the 2 band versions are significantly better IMHO. More low end and a fuller sound overall! You can pickup a MM USA made Sub with a 2-band EQ for $350 - $500ish. ;)
  13. Hippos Melas

Hippos Melas

+1. I will never sell my Musicman because it's my go-to bass when I need something comfortable, cool sounding, and fast playing. Plus I can push the tone heavily enough in one direction or another that I can cover a lot of basses with it (I have an HH model).
  14. birminghambass

birminghambass Supporting Member

Agreed. It's my main gigging bass but at home I play only my Fenders.
  15. panamonte

panamonte

I feel your pain. I had to sell my '79 Stingray in 1989 to settle an enormous phone bill that someone who was visiting my flat ran up. Aaaaaarrrrrrrgh! I think I'm just about over it now..... :bawl:
  16. JoshuaTSP

JoshuaTSP Supporting Member

The stingray told me that my baby wouldn't stop crying....and it didn't know what to do. :crying:

What was done was done....and it had to go.
  17. bh2

bh2

Yes... mine was a 78... cry again.
    Oh well, still got two fenders.
  18. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    John K Custom Basses
    the ONLY reason that i sold my previous stingrays is because they were all well over 10lbs, but i'm keeping my current one since i scratch-built a feathweight 3 1/2lb swamp ash body for it. it still sounds exactly like a normal ray, but now i can play it for a whole gig without it killing my shoulder and back.

[​IMG]
  19. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric

I sold mine because I left it outside in the rain.:oops:

I don't own one now because they're really heavy.:smug:
  20. richnota

richnota Gold Supporting Member

Cause you're fortunate enough to have two other SR's you play all the time. Down-sizing the collection is good for the soul...and makes room for new basses:ninja: