Why do you have 2 or more of the same Bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by drlndrve, Mar 12, 2014.

1. drlndrve

drlndrve Supporting Member

I just bought another fender jazz--not too terribly different from each other. I keep flats on one and rounds on the other for two different sounds. Friends have given me utmost s#it for it! Am I just stupid? I know I can't be the only one out there...so tell me your reason why.
  2. RaginRog

RaginRog Last guy you want to see is Employee Relations guy Supporting Member

I always have, but never out of necessity. I only recently sold or traded my additional Jazz basses, and now have a Jazz, a Ric, and a cheap Ibanez.
  3. tobias3469

tobias3469 Supporting Member

the real question is why someone would own 3 or more of the same bass!
  4. zontar

zontar

Media:
    Albums:
    I've never done it, but know people who have because it was a great price on the second one and they couldn't turn it down.
  5. drumnbassman

drumnbassman

i like to have 3 of the same bass. one with flats, one with rounds and a fretless version with whatever works best for that bass like tape wounds or half rounds or whatever.

i like to have 3 for tonal differences but i want them to have a unifying feel.
  6. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS * Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Ask your friends what their problem is with this, and how it is any of their business what basses you buy.
  7. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Your friends are butt stupid. Your reason for having two Jazz Basses is perfectly legit. I have some similar basses but they're all a little different. Like one is a straight up precision, two are PJ's and the PJ's have different pickups, and one currently has flats. Perfectly logical reason...having one with rounds and one with flats. Tell your friends they should stick to unsuccessfully trying to get girls.

:D
    SasquatchDude likes this.
  8. tjh

tjh Supporting Member

I have had as many as 5 of the same basses at the same time .. went through about 10 -12 to find 4-5 as identical as possible ... of course they weren't expensive basses, but it was a great test bed to A/B/C/D a variety of flatwound strings at the same time ... sure beat taking a set off, putting different set on, forgetting little nuances of a set 3 changes ago, etc, etc ... expedited the process immensely ...
  9. SlappyWhite

SlappyWhite

If you're used to the Jazz, sometimes it's best to stick with that model. The string alignment, the tapered neck.. another kind of bass might feel like a total shock to a Fender Jazz guy.
  10. bassie12

bassie12

Media:
    Like JimmyM said. I have a number of P-basses in different string/wood/setup configs. If all you ever need is one, great. I have need, use and want for more. So it goes...
  11. garp

garp

+1.

Once I finally realized that I had found my true home on the Jazz, the next step was to begin exploring the various Jazz options available. I now have a few: actives, passives, 4-strings and 5-strings. Within that herd, I also have two nearly-identical Jazzes, one with rounds and one with flats.

As a gigging musician, I firmly believe in the concept of having a back-up instrument available within arm’s reach. For me, that alone could potentially warrant owning two of the same or nearly-same bass. In some two decades of gigging, I’ve only broken a string once. But thanks to a back-up Jazz, I didn’t have to stop the show.
  12. simenandreas

simenandreas

I could have two of the same bass because of the tuning. I like to play with very low action - if I have to down tune my bass, it would buzz like hell. Another bass with heavier string gauge and another setup with be nice for things like that. Also, every bass doesn't sound exactly the same. The seput, fretwork and pickup height can make a big difference to my ears.
  13. Back to Bassics

Back to Bassics

Sometimes I like to play the red one. Sometimes I like to play the blue one. Sometimes I like to play the black one. Sometimes I want to play a white one, but I don't have one.

Yet.
  14. eukatheude

eukatheude

It's ok having several if they have different tronics, different woods or whatever. As in they give you different tonal options. Even having two of the same (eg. one with flats, one with rounds) is ok in my book.
    What I don't get is people buying the same ultra high end bass 8 times in different colours like I sometimes see around here.
    Yeah, it's your money and you're free to do what you wish with it bla bla bla.
  15. chris_b

chris_b

I have never done this. One of them must sound or play better and that's the one I'd keep.
  16. dabbler

dabbler

^ This. People always make comments like your friends when I post my 9 LPB SX basses (3 Ps and 6 Js) but none of them are identical. I've learned a lot from playing them all, and I like variety!
  17. BrianToska

BrianToska

I have a tendency to get too "aggressive" at my bands shows so I bought another precision as a back up to my first. Both are strung with flats. I also have a third precision strung with rounds for other things. I think it's safe to say that I don't need anymore P basses :p
  18. Davo-London

Davo-London

I like 2 different colours.

Does that make me shallow?

Davo
    SunnBass likes this.
  19. Back to Bassics

Back to Bassics

Only if they're ''ultra high end'', apparently.
  20. Groove Doctor

Groove Doctor

3 P Basses. All VERY different.

1. 90's Fender CIJ for a Midnight Oil Tribute Band. Black poly/Black PG/RW (just like their bass player), flats, detuned, higher action for heavy pick playing, special pickup trick for extra thump. Cheap enough to jump around on stage without worry. Paid for itself several times over.

2. '69 Fender P nitro refin in Seafoam green, original tort PG. Old roto rounds, very woody & growly, great for doubling gigs. It gets lots of favourable comments on its looks and tone - a definite keeper.

3. '83 Squier JV P in 3TS, new Fodera rounds, low action. Originally bought it for an INXS tribute but that is on hold. P bass balls with Jazz bass clarity.... a REAL slap monster.
    They rarely come up in Aus, it was a great price, very light, slim neck, & can get a superb setup.