1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Why does my bass sound more 'growl/dirty' played through head phones?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Marriedwithbass, Mar 3, 2014.

1. Marriedwithbass

Marriedwithbass

Hi,

Sorry if this is in the wrong section; I have noticed that when ever I plug my head phones into my amp to practice I get a much more 'growling' sound than when I play through my amp normally (think of the sound of the bass in 'Black Velvet').

Can anyone explain how to get a dirtier growling sound when I play out of the speaker as I think it sounds really cool!?

N.B. I am only using a Cord (I think thats the name of the company that made my bass, its a beginner model anyway) bass with a Fender Jazz pickup arrangement and a 20w Ibanez Soundwave 20 practice amp.

Many thanks as always

2. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Cort is the brand. :)

The headphone preamp is probably overdriving in a way that the regular amp does not. There are many many overdrive pedals that will get you this sound; go over to the Effects forum and read some of the threads there about OD, grit, grind, and growl.

3. Marriedwithbass

Marriedwithbass

Cheers for the bass brand clear up, I've had it since I was 16 but only really got into playing it this last year properly (I'm 27 now)

Oh OK cool, I've got an old Marshall guitar OD pedal somewhere. have you got any pedals you would recomend?

4. ExTek

ExTek

I recently got a Tech 21 Sansamp Bass DI. Maybe you should look into those! You can get all kinds of sounds out of it. Right now, I have my tone set to sound clean, but also have a little bit of grit so it growls. Check out some videos on YouTube.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Marriedwithbass

Marriedwithbass

Thanks man I'll do that