1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Why does my cab sound distorted with my GK 1001 rb2?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by gregmon79, Jan 3, 2013.

1. gregmon79

gregmon79 Supporting Member

Hey all, I've got two amps, a 400 watt yorkville bassmaster and a GK 1001 rb2. Now I've played both through my hartke 410, xh is it?, and I'm getting distortion/bad bad noise coming out of the speaker when I push it, moserately, with the GK but with the yorkie, I'm all good even if I crank it. Now I know the GK is pushing a lot more amperage but why is there such a huge difference when their both only aloud to push the same amount of amps into the cab. Or wait, since the yorkie is only 400 watts, it's not pushing out as much is it?? The cab is an 8 ohm 400 watt "peak".

2. 1958Bassman

1958Bassman

There's a good chance you're over-driving the crap out of the speaker(s). They have a power handling spec, based on excursion and thermal characteristics. Observe it and keep using the speaker, abuse it and it will go away in a hurry.

3. B-string

B-string Gold Supporting Member

The G-K at 8 ohms is 460 watts with a large power reserve to best it's RMS rating on bursts. The cab is "about" 200 watts RMS.

4. IPYF

IPYF

The Bassmaster is 400w at 4ohm so it will be throwing significantly less at your 8ohm cab. I'd suggest 180w to 250w depending on your eq.

The GK can toss like 485w towards your cab, (also depending on your eq) which is approximately twice as many watts as the yorkville will toss at it.

There are a huge amount of factors at play here but this is the core issue. You want to be very careful with that GK head. I'd recommend running the woofer volume on maximum and slowly dialing in the input gain until you're at a moderate level. I wouldn't push any of the 4 band settings past noon and I'd be ultra sparing with the contour especially if you're running it on 5-string mode.

I honestly would be very hesitant about using that Hartke cab with the GK. It wasn't designed to be run with that amp and the GK will pummel it if you're not very conservative. If you can hear the speakers crying just stop it before it hits you squarely in the wallet.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. will33

will33

Disclosures:
    Use of this field for any other purpose is prohibited
    The cab doesn't "allow" 400 watts. That is the maximun it could possibly handle and more likely maybe 1/2 of that and reproduce the sound cleanly with no distortion.

That model of GK is immensly powerful, with lots of low frequency content which is the hardest for the speakers to handle, especially if you have the 5-string switch pushed in, but even without that.

You are simply pushing your speakers farther than they are capable of going. Keep it up and you won't have the distortion problem anymore, it will fall silent and become a very effective paperweight.

When using the GK, turn down the volume, the bass knob, or a bit of both.

7. gregmon79

That's exactly what I thought after I first plugged in the GK head to the cab. I think I'll use the yorkie on the hartke and wait until I get my GK SBX 410 back from the shop to use the GK with the GK cab. I'm thinking I need to still be careful at pushing the GK cab with the 1001 rb as well.....

8. will33

will33

Disclosures:
    Use of this field for any other purpose is prohibited
    That's a good way to go, though, if you like the sound, there's nothing wrong with using the GK on this cab. Just know you have an amp more capable than the cab is and adjust things accordingly. It doesn't put out all that power when it's turned down some. The Yorkvilles I have played were all quite nice sounding amps as well...nothing to sneeze at. If you're more comfortable using the Yorkville for a bit of "margin of error".....play that one.

9. IPYF

IPYF

You definitely need to be careful. That SBX is also a 400w cab. I personally wouldn't run a 1001 into any single GK SBX, BLX or RBX cab without being very conservative on the throttle. The RBH line are the only GK brand cabs designed to be used with the 1001 and the 2001; and even then I'd be very hesitant about using a single RBH115 at higher volumes.

I wouldn't want to make assumptions but if the case is that someone sold you the SBX as a good single cab for a 1001, they probably did you a bit of a disservice. You would probably be better off with a pair as the load should theoretically spread a little better.

Why was the SBX in the shop?

10. B-string

SBX Plus cab (800 watt) bought used with some bad speakers, being repaired under after-sale warranty.

11. gregmon79

B man doin my splainin again haha I bought the GK cab and one of the speakers was blown/bad. I'm hoping I'll be able to push it decently though when I get it back with the 1001. What would you guys suggest I add to the rig if I were able to? I was thinking either another GK 212 or 115. Preferably neos but at this point, I'd grab the easiest GK cab I could get my hands on to supplement the 410 SBX. If I had to choose I think I'd go with the 115. You think?? Now I know it's all relative and I'm not asking anyone to buy my equipment for me but if you had to choose another cab to chain off the SBX 410, which one would it be?

12. Bass_Pounder

Bass_Pounder

Another SBX 410

Why would you want to add a 1X15 ?

Not a very good match at all - and if it is because you think you will be adding "slamming bottom", think again.

13. B-string

Just savin' the you abused the cab before thing coming up ;)

I agree with a second SBX/SBX Plus 410. Don't know how well the voicing of the ceramic SBX would pair with the NEOs?

14. IPYF

IPYF

Wasn't insinuating he hurt the cab. I've had numerous issues with all the GK gear I've owned and I'm always curious to know why when I hear about a bit of GK kit that's gone awry.

I do agree that a matched cab would be the best option, if it's really required. That would be super loud-town.

15. B-string

Wasn't pointing fingers anywhere :) It was sure to come up though. Trouble with used cabs, you don't know the history or mods done.

16. gregmon79

Sweet, then that is what I'll probably get if I can find one. I'm sure thier out there. I don't doubt another 410 is the way to go, the one I have is bumpin already. I just want to make sure I don't blow my cab when I get it back by rockin it. I will be careful for sure. But I'd just like the added comfort of not having to worry pushing it too hard and having plenty of headroom to bumpity bump bump.

17. gregmon79

Any suggestions on where to look for a good march on a GK SBX plus to complete my set?? Aside from a google top search.

18. B-string

19. gregmon79

I'm in the Chicago land area. I know GC usually has some decent GK stuff but lately they've been all out. I'll keep searching. Thanks.

20. Bass_Pounder

Bass_Pounder

You need to search their online used inventory.

They will ship to either you, or to the local store.

21. gregmon79

I did not know that they would ship to the store. Didn't even think of that, thanks.