Why does Roger dislike his Ric tone?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Chrisk-K, Jan 12, 2013.

1. Chrisk-K

Chrisk-K

Here's the isolated Highway Star bass line.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DtN4XdbPN_4

Roger has said many times he dislikes his tone on Machine Head. To me, it's a great rock bass tone....just on the verge of breaking up. Much more traditional sounding than the tones of the Ox, Squire and Geddy.

2. SactoBass

SactoBass There are some who call me.......Sactobass

Sounds like good classic Ric tone to me!

3. 9mmMike

9mmMike Would you happen to have a cookie for me? Supporting Member

That is amazing.

4. Tanner5382

Tanner5382

In an interview he said he felt like his Ric tone was just muddying up the mix of the band, too midrangy and not a proper bass tone.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. uOpt

uOpt Supporting Member

It's not just the Rick, the whole rig wasn't "proper bass" gear either.

I believe that Roger fell victim to a classic brain trap.

It is easy to be unique - if you are willing to suck. I think Roger ended up thinking that his sound was unique but sucked. The fact that he played it at that time also due to being unable to afford "proper gear" contributed. He didn't get any money from record sales, it was all withheld by the record company to the "advances" (sounds familiar to anyone?).

He also isn't a tinker so he didn't explore what to do about the capacitor in the rick. That could have made him happier. In the end he went for some quality but generic line later - the Vigier basses. But now it's not unique anymore.

In general I think Roger is maybe a little more producer and manager than sound creating bassist, and he clearly is on the side of smoother, popular things.

7. mcm

mcm

he said while playing live he couldnt get "under" the band so he switched to pbasses

8. Dellers

Dellers

Well, his playing is good but the tone is really ugly. Completely lacks bottom as well. I'd guess that tones like that are one of the reasons why the bass is nowhere to be heard in a lot of rock and metal (or alternatively the bass is fighting for the same room as the other instruments and making it all muddy).

9. PJRL

PJRL

I love his sound on that album, He's one of the guys that made me want to play bass. With the B-3 they were never lacking bottom, Roger's bass was right where it need to be.

10. PJRL

PJRL

Funny, years ago I had a Ric 4001, that's pretty much what it sounded like. Now I have a new problem, I want a Ric !...........:eek:

11. VigierUSA

VigierUSA Supporting Member

I love Roger's tone on Machine Head but I get wanting to get 'under' the band. I feel the same way, personally (I'm also a devotee to the Excess at this point).