Why don't they make the top horn longer on bass bodies?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jeffkew, Dec 22, 2013.

1. jeffkew

jeffkew Bass Curious Supporting Member

I'm wondering why they don't make the top horn longer on bass bodies in order to help with balance and reduce neck dive? My experience is mostly with fender basses, and most if not all I try have some degree of neck dive. Wouldn't it make sense to make the top horn extend to maybe the 10th fret instead of 12th to improve balance?
  2. ejmy

ejmy

I guess you meant : Why do they make the top horn longer ?
  3. HeavyRockBasser

HeavyRockBasser

Fender made some that way, back in the late 80's/early 90's. They were unofficially dubbed the "boner bass".
  4. KayXero

KayXero

For me, long horn boner basses are less comfortable. Im just to used to a typical P bass design.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Means2nEnd

Means2nEnd Supporting Member

Absolutely correct like my Modulus, Lakland, and the non fender basses I own that do not have an upper horn that reaches the 12th fret design the body correctly with proper weight like my Spectors and Warwicks (minus the Thumbs)... I have no Fenders nor wish to.
  7. jeffkew

jeffkew Bass Curious Supporting Member

No I was wondering why they don't make the top horn even longer than they currently do. It seems like it would reduce the ubiquitous neck dive issues.
  8. Doctor J

Doctor J

Some people don't like change and Fender likes to be paid. Just look at brands who look beyond the 1960's. Had ergonomics even been invented in 1966? :bag:
  9. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    I agree, and I always add an extension piece to the top horn to make it longer. I think it is not done much because people are so acclimated to the basic Fender shape, that anything else seems wrong. This is true even of more modern designs, ones that people will doubtless clamor are "not like Fenders at all"--but they almost all have the same basic top and bottom horn proportions.
  10. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member

Neck dive is minimal on Fenders. Now bring a Thunderbird or Gibson EB and we can talk.
  11. spade2you

spade2you

About the only time I've played Fenders with neck dive were on some of the old imports that used light basswood type bodies and very dense maple necks and heavy tuners.
  12. Kmonk

Kmonk

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Fender and Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings
    If anything, a longer top horn would make the bass more likely to have neck dive since there would be even more weight toward the neck side of the bass.
  13. bongomania

Disclosures:
    No, the reality is not like that. The weight is still far back toward the center enough that it absolutely does not tip the neck down. Plus the repositioning of the strap button means the balance point shifts quite a bit, in a helpful direction (headstock upward).
  14. JTE

JTE Supporting Member

Nope. It would move the strap closer to the headstock and move the center of gravity away from the head.
  15. Maxdusty

Maxdusty Supporting Member

Some do... check out a Cort Curbow.
  16. Basshappi

Basshappi

?????

I have more Fenders than a Ford dealership and not a single one of them are neck heavy.
    I could see where that might be the case with a Jaguar style bass with its short upper horn (I've never had one), but Jazz and Precisions have always balanced perfectly for me.
  17. Major Softie

Major Softie

Right. Balance is achieved by having the Center of Gravity of the bass centered between the strap attachment points. If the bass has neck dive, the CoG is closer to the horn attachment point than the bottom of the body. So, what you want to do is move the horn attachment point further from the CoG: IOW's, make the horn longer.

The other option is to move the CoG, such as using lighter tuners, which moves the CoG further from the horn attachment point.
  18. Kmonk

Kmonk

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Fender and Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings
    I have owned basses with longer top horns which had more neck dive than shorter ones. There is more weight to the neck side. I see what your saying but the fact that the strap button is further away from the body of the bass is offset by the additional weight.
  19. bongomania

Disclosures:
    People have different ideas about what constitutes "neck dive" or "neck heavy". I like the neck to point well above horizontal if the bass is just hanging on me by the strap, no hands.

I think some people here figure as long as the neck doesn't slam down into the floor, it doesn't have neck dive.
  20. bongomania

Disclosures:
    That is only possible if the body was extremely, unusually light.
  21. hover

hover

I have no problem with neck dive, nor shoulder pain as I use wide straps. Nuttin but P's and J's here.