why dosnt canada play cricket ?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by matey, Nov 25, 2012.

1. matey

matey

Just wondering seeing there is a lot of north americans here, being from oz and having to endure cricket all summer long and the boxing day test which is just to prove how dull a day can get . So Canada is part of the commonwealth so why dont they make the Canadians play this stupid game :confused::bag::ninja:
  2. Schlyder

Schlyder

Why is Canada the only one in the Commonwealth that plays ice hockey?
  3. matey

matey

probbally on a professional level but plenty of people play ice hocky here
  4. stratovani

stratovani

It's because baseball is much more popular in Canada than anywhere else in the Commonwealth, owing to its proximity to the United States. Growing up in Canada all I remember ever doing was playing hockey in the winter and baseball in the summer. I don't ever remember anyone playing cricket, other than some Jamaican or Pakistani expats playing the occasional cricket match in public parks here and there.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Tituscrow

Tituscrow Banned

Ask The Queen. She's in charge.

Oh, and matey....your threads and posts are becoming increasingly challenging to decipher. The grammar police have yet to pounce....just a friendly heads-up.
  7. carlos840

carlos840

+1 to all that!

None of it made any sens! The only reason i know what we are talking about is the thread title... Bloody convicts and their strange dialect!
  8. matey

matey

damm my dislexia no wonder im so missunderstood

:help:
  9. champbassist

champbassist

You better not diss cricket, matey. In me, you have the resident crazy Indian cricket fan here :ninja:
  10. Ziltoid

Ziltoid Banned

So is that like, not hockey?
  11. Tituscrow

Tituscrow Banned

Hey champ...you following the second Test?
  12. champbassist

champbassist

I wish I wasn't :p Well, frankly, I didn't exactly 'follow' it today, owing, in part, to an exam that I had and also to the fact that our batting was getting humiliated.
  13. capnjim

capnjim

We tried it once, but it was too long a game to play and it got in the way of the beer drinking.
  14. matey

matey

i think if it was more like this, it would get better coverage

15. i_got_a_mohawk

i_got_a_mohawk

I'm sure there will be some level of cricket played in Canada. You'll just not have the same level of excited coverage :p

Also, regarding Ice Hockey, it is played at a professional (well, semi pro in some cases) in the UK. Though granted, the Elite League (UK & Ireland league) is nowhere near the standard of the NHL.

We also have Gridiron, though in Scotland at least, its only amateur. We had a Pro team, but it didn't stick.
  16. SoVeryTired

SoVeryTired Endorsing nothing, recommending much Supporting Member

You're doing it wrong then. Up to five days - there's a lot of drinking you can fit in as a spectator, and enough 'drinks breaks' as a player. :D
  17. Anthbass

Anthbass

My wife and I once lived in Little India, in Toronto. One of my finest memories is of sitting on my back porch, beer in hand, watching a cadre of Pakistani folks playing cricket in the evenings at a baseball diamond adjacent the yard. After months of being a spectator, I still had no clue as to what the hell the point of all this was (or why one would do it, for that matter), but I sure enjoyed watching the fracas.
  18. champbassist

champbassist

Tch tch tch.

If only they knew that a Canadian player held the record for the fastest century in World Cup cricket, which he made in the 2003 World Cup. He's been eclipsed since, but is still 3rd on the all time list. Interestingly, at no. 1, still, is Kevin O'Brien from Ireland, who are also 'minnows'.

*Edit* Just saying, but in case you guys didn't know, Canada has a cricket team and it's one of the better 'associate' teams. It does consist, primarily, of Indian subcontinent/Caribbean origin players, though. There were even a few major cricket series conducted at the Toronto Cricket Skating And Curling Club in the late 1990's.
  19. matey

matey

that was informative, we have a big canadian dude who plays aussie rules football for the sydney swans also we won the cup this year :hyper:
  20. Randyt

Randyt Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Adult Pampers
    As a canadian...and have played in many competitive divisions...If Im not skating or running across a rink or pitch to hit someone...Im not playing it...its just not fun!!!!LOL
    I have played cricket before...it is in Toronto down in the beaches area...
    For me it was hockey in winter and Lacrosse in the summer!! oh and summer hockey too!
  21. i_got_a_mohawk

i_got_a_mohawk

I'd still say it's fairly true, it just isn't as big culturally big and isn't as widely viewed by the public. It doesn't mean there isn't outstanding players from the country, just that Joe Public isn't as interested so it has less media coverage.

I can also understand your passion, the other PhD student in my research group is Indian, as is my second supervisor. Lets just say they were a tad excitable and distracted during the early months of last year!