Why DR strings are amazing

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by lburton2, Aug 2, 2008.

1. lburton2

lburton2 Les Is More

I work at a music store and I called DR for a special order of strings.. they called me back and were the nicest manufacturer I have ever spoke with.. Not to mention that the woman i spoke with sounded like an Angel..:smug:

I think that DR strings are almost too good to be true.. Maybe they have enslaved gnomes working magic in their buildings.. that explains it. DR gnomes.
  2. slaerts

slaerts

If those gnomes were enslaved then the strings should be a whole lot cheaper! I have to admit that over the years I gave up on strings. I came to the conclusion that strings were strings and were pretty much of a muchness until I put on a set of DR longneck 6es they made a huge difference to the sound of my bass. I'm now looking forward to the longnecks getting old and tired so I can try some black beauties or Hi-beams or low riders just to compare. I suspect those gnomes are going to be getting richer and fatter from my purchases over the comming years.
  3. Lorenzini

Lorenzini Supporting Member

Get some hi-beams from those gnomes to put on your 6 string. You will love them!
  4. buckminster

buckminster Banned

I have played alot of different brands and haven't found strings that I like more than Hi-Beams. Until someone turns me onto something better, I'm sticking with them.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Alex E

Alex E

I have used the suns and now have the hi-beams and DRs are my favorite rounds. Very good string. To me, it seems they stay sounding 'new' for a very long time and even their drop-off tone, when the string ages, is quite good.

This news of happy, attractive gnomes makes the company even more appealing.
  7. CrimsonGhost

CrimsonGhost

I wish DR would Silk all there string ends, other than that they are great.
  8. Nakedfish

Nakedfish

I'm glad they DON'T use silk!

;)

I'm loving the Gnome-action on my basses.
  9. El-Bob

El-Bob

next paycheck i'm ordering some gnome-coated black beauties for my 6er, because i've been very curious about how they sound/feel for a long time.
  10. Largedon

Largedon

If I could ever have one sponsorship it would be by DR strings. I would change my string at least once a week if not every other gig if possible. Nothing I love better than the sound of a brand new set of Marcus Miller DRs for me:D.
  11. BELLATOR

BELLATOR

You and me both.
  12. theory028

theory028 Really Loud Hamburger.

How do the Hi Beams or Lo Riders compare to the Black Beauties? I've got beauties on my P bass and they have a unique feel and distinct sound (not in a particularly bad or good way) when played unamplified. I started playing my bass with heavy Elixirs on them and have grown to like that feel and sound a bit more. I don't want to rule out DR as an option. A lot of people like their strings, so they have to be doing something right.
  13. GTMOKID

GTMOKID

Will someone confirm whether DR seem to be less BUZZY because of the coating. If it is true I'm sold for DR
  14. Nakedfish

Nakedfish

DR - Phone Gnome.
  15. ga_edwards

ga_edwards

I wish they would too. The peacock blues I tried kept slipping on my D-tuner. Actually, the notch in the post cut through the tight windings which caused the slippage. A silk wrap would have prevented this.

I have to admit too, whilst I liked the sound they made, the sound wasn't for me, it lacked a certain something. They sounded too smooth and lacked midrange growl to me. So I've gone back to getting a set of Roto's every month and tearing my fingers up until I find something better.
  16. Nakedfish

Nakedfish

I've not experienced any problems with DR strings slipping. I follow the guidance printed on the packaging regarding pinching them at an angle before cutting & fitting them.

From a purely cosmetic perspective, I dislike the look of silk wrap on strings passing over headstocks.

DR strings certainly don't lack midrange IMO. Lots of character & clarity, and incredibly well balanced across all strings.
  17. MikeyB

MikeyB

Do yourself a favor and try out the DR Hi-Beams. The peacock blues are coated, and probably sound a little more "muted". I've tried the DR Lo-Riders, and even they don't sound as good as the Hi-Beams to me.

The Hi-Beams are great strings - definitely have a very musical and complex midrange. And I am ALL about the midrange growl! I like Rotos too, but they fade so quickly. I've soaked my rotos in mineral spirits to "refresh" them, and it helps a great deal, but it's not quite there for me.

The Hi-Beams sound great and continue to sound great for a long time, IMO, IME. Plus they're a lot easier on the fingers, though that isn't really a deal maker/breaker for me.

-M
  18. DCOOPER

DCOOPER

Well im just about to open my first ever set of DR's.Iv used Ritter Swordsteels for about three years and they are great but iv decided to try something different and plumped for a set of Fat Beams.Will let you know what i think.Ps i take it DR's are standard for a 35'' bass?
  19. Plookie

Plookie

Disclosures:
    Endorsing artist: Pavel Jazz basses AccuGroove bass cabinets
    When my Pavel Jazz Pro 5 Deluxe arrived on my doorsteps back in Early December 07. Pavel had DR Lo Riders on the bass. I know, I would have continued to use the OTHER strings (I don't care to mention).
    I have never ever thought they made bass guitar strings for me:hyper: I feel in love with DR Lo Riders instantly, and haven't even thought about using any other strings but DR Lo Riders. I did try the Dr Fat Beams, but I wasn't thoroughly impressed with them, as I thought they felt like "Roto sound" strings. I instantly took them off my bass, and replaced them with the older (3 weeks old) DR Lo Riders during a break.

I am sure I will re-try the Fat Beams again in the future, but for now, DR Lo Riders are my #1 strings.

Pavel Jazz bass
    Eden amp n cab user since 1996
    www.lament.ee
    www.myspace.com/plookiewfireinice
  20. DCOOPER

DCOOPER

Well i have to say i really like these Fat Beams!!They feel very "springy" and have a solid sound to my ears.
  21. capnsandwich

capnsandwich

I used to be an avid user of DR High Beams until I started getting dead sets. Right out of the box they were dead, don't ask me why because I'm still wondering. Other than that though they're great strings. However, I have since switched over to Sadowsky SS strings and their customer service is out of this world. Since I've never had to deal with DR's customer service I've stayed with Sadowsky simply because they've been so generous towards me when I needed them to be. Nothing against DR strings mind you. They're still great strings, well, the ones that aren't dead right out of the box.