1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Why Go to the Gym?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Crazyfist, Sep 17, 2012.

1. Crazyfist

Crazyfist

For a while, I used to force myself to go to the gym. My reason for going was to "get fit" and just generally for something to do.

I didn't used to like it very much, I didn't see the point, so I stopped going.

But now I want to get back into it because recently I have realised that I need a more specific goal to reach other than just simply "getting fit" and having something to do... that just makes it seem like a chore, when really it should be fun!
    (Ironically, because of the sweating and hard work... at least I thought it was amusing. :rolleyes:)

To those of you who go to the gym, or have been, what are your goals and objectives? What keeps you going?

If it helps, I used to do a lot of upper body training on machines, mostly arms and chest with the some ab crunches and bikes on the side- overall about an hour's work I guess. :)

2. Kawai-chang

Kawai-chang

My objective is to get my wife and doctor off my a** for being fat.

My goal is to be able to fit in some smaller jeans I have from days of yore.

3. Yerf Dog

Yerf Dog

I go because I feel better when I do, both physically and mentally. I actually don't like to miss a workout. I go three times a week M-W-F after work. Cardio and weights(free and machine) since I got out of high school almost 30 years ago.

4. EricF

EricF Habitual User

My goal is fitness and weight loss. The gym is where I can get in a 30 minute run and 30 minutes of weights in one place, and it's not affected by the weather outside. Unfortunately, my life only allows me to go once per week right now.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Jim Nazium

Jim Nazium Supporting Member

I have better focus during the day and sleep better at night when I'm exercising regularly. That's why I do it. Going to the gym is probably my least favorite way to exercise (screen name notwithstanding), but if the weather is too nasty for cycling, hiking, XC skiing, kayaking, or volleyball, I suck it up and go.

7. Crazyfist

Crazyfist

I'm exactly the same, except there is nothing else where I live apart from the gym... and a Subway. (The sandwiches I mean, every time I eat one I've basically cancelled out the exercise I had done in that day!)

It's quite weird how sports work when you're playing or watching them, I mean how long would you be sticking around for if there was no scoreboard? How long would you keep running up and down the field if you're didn't know who was winning?
    That's kind of what it was like for me; I didn't have a scoring system! :)

8. matti777

matti777 Supporting Member

I go to the gym (Crossfit) for many reasons, some of which are already listed. It certainly helps me mentally and physically. I enjoy the challenge and because it is a group class I work much harder than I would on my own. I would never work this hard on my own. I also look better now plus there is the social aspect. It is also an activity my wife and I both do together. We go 4-5 times a week. I'm 49 and the kids are off on their own so I have more time now. :)

ps If you're looking to push yourself hard check it out

9. 78fenderjazz

78fenderjazz

After years of a mostly sedentary life I joined a gym. I have had a 24 hour membership for years but all I would do is hit the treadmill and hit a couple of machines then call it a day but mostly I would just keep that little card in my wallet to mock me every time I bought a burger!

So I joined one of those cross circuit/cross training/cross fit type of gyms. The first couple of weeks I felt like I was going to puke every workout but now that I've been going for a couple of months I feel great! I have never pushed myself as hard as a have in the past few months and I have never had so much fun exercising. Everyday activities have gotten easier and little aches and pains that I had been living with have disappeared! Cross training is the most efficient use of your time as far as gaining fitness and shedding fat.

Just my two cents

10. carlos840

carlos840

IMO you don't have to go to a gym to get fit!

I hate gyms, i would rather do my workout at home. Going to the gym is not going to get you fit!
    Working hard,dedication and watching what you eat is what is going to make you fit.
    Unless you plan on being mister olympia you can do it all in your basement with a bench, some barbells and dumbells. If you are really unfit body weight exercises like pushups, situps, pullups etc will get you started and show results very fast to!

And machines are EVIL! if you have no condition whatsoever stay away from them and use free weights!

11. matti777

+1 That is certainly my experience and after a year I only feel like puking now and then. :)

12. tastybasslines

tastybasslines Supporting Member

I go for fitness and spirituality. Spending time with myself at the gym allows me to look inward and reflect as well as to feel proud of myself, which is important for good living.

13. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Screw the gym! You got a door? You got a gym!

[​IMG]

-Mike

14. Ziltoid

Ziltoid Supporting Member

Why? Dopamine man...

15. i_got_a_mohawk

i_got_a_mohawk

As carlos says, there is a lot you can do at home without needing a gym:

http://www.twohundredsquats.com/
    http://www.hundredpushups.com/
    http://www.twohundredsitups.com/
    http://onefiftydips.com/

Or get a gymball or whatever takes your fancy.

I have barely been recently, partially due to workload (bad excuse), partially due to back problems (slightly better excuse).

I liked being able to see regular progress, you know you must be doing something better if you can lift more or go faster than you could before. It's great for complimenting rugby training too. Also fancied trying my hand at competative weightlifting, but never quite got far enough (though do want to return to that).

16. Gaius46

Gaius46

I go simply because there is nothing in the world like weight training to make you strong. Been doing it for so long it's like breathing at this point

17. matti777

There is more than one way to skin a cat. Do whatever works for you. Some people don't have the room for equipment or just like to get out of the house. I like classes because I get instruction, they have the equipment (although I have lots of weights) and I get worked harder because I'm trying to keep up with all the young 'uns and hate it when my wife beats me. Before Crossfit I did boot camps and ran as well as played a bit of hockey with the old timers which I still enjoy.

18. bassinplace

bassinplace

My goal is to feel good, maintain my overall health, and keep the wolves of aging away from the door. A 20 or 30 minute jog every morning does the trick. That and a healthy diet. Here's to staying as young as possible! :D

19. EricF

EricF Habitual User

If it doesn't work for you, that's fine. True, there are lots of other things that can be done to get fit. However, a gym fits my needs very well. I can get in 30 minutes of good-intensity cardio, and 30 minutes of good-quality weightlifiting in a climate-controlled environment in the small window of time I have between work and being home to take care of my family.

20. Kwesi

Kwesi Supporting Member

You know the funny thing? Going to the gym was fun for me. I'm lazy to the point of astonishment but going to the gym made me feel like I was really doing something worthwhile with my time in an environment that was really geared towards that goal. The equipment, the smell, the people - I liked it all. Honestly don't know how I ever fell out of it.

21. nickbass79

nickbass79

What keeps me going to the gym?

Aside from staying fit, a big motivator has been to work out to audiobooks. It makes it more interesting when there is a story line to follow while staying healthy. Plus, there isn't a tempo to mess me up while running, I can keep my own pace instead of following the pace of the music inadvertently.

Other than that, I enjoy working out, either at the gym or at home. All the same to me.