1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a FREE Account to post and unlock tons of features!

why hasn't anyone put a stingray preamp in a p bass yet??

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by spaz21387, Mar 29, 2014.

1. spaz21387

spaz21387

Feb 25, 2008
    Portland oregon
    so I have a sterling sub ray 4 and I plan to upgrade the pre amp to a nordstrand 3 band. That leaves me with a 2 band to have some fun with. If anyone has done the ray pre in a p bass Id love to see pictures and hear sound clips.

2. Blazer

Blazer

Nov 27, 2003
    The Netherlands
    Disclosures:
    Rogue luthier employed at Knooren Handcrafted bass guitars
    Well I have seen Stingrays where the humbucker was replaced with a P-bass pickup but I have no idea how that ended up sounding.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Sponsored by:

4. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Gold Supporting Member

I would love to hear sound samples of both those, I imagine each location sounds very different.

I will not comment on the looks since I do not (or will not) own those basses...

5. Someone did it.

Fender did it - in the Precision Special (80-84):
    Active electronics, volume, treble, bass, with pot middle position.

6. spaz21387

spaz21387

Feb 25, 2008
    Portland oregon
    Me too Id love to hear those basses!

7. Swerve

Swerve

Nov 22, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    I'd be interested to hear sound samples as well.

8. Smallmouth_Bass

Smallmouth_Bass Supporting Member

Dec 29, 2005
    Canada
    Similarly, I've always wondered what a Stingray would sound like with the humbucker in the P position.

9. spaz21387

spaz21387

Feb 25, 2008
    Portland oregon
    That would be very interesting too. Looks like im just going to have to experiment and pull the pre from the ray 4 and see how it gets along with a p bass pickup. I promise to post a demo video too.

10. Blazer

Blazer

Nov 27, 2003
    The Netherlands
    Disclosures:
    Rogue luthier employed at Knooren Handcrafted bass guitars
    Probably similar to those early G&L L-1000 basses.
    [​IMG]

Which sound like this.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yx-OEKHkdQw

11. DirkP

DirkP

Jan 18, 2013
    Hamburg, Germany
    Judging from the pictures, it seems to me that it only sounds good with 3 strings so much so that you simply leave the E-string out or don't need to tune the G-string 'cause noone can hear it anyway...
    Dirk

12. JTE

JTE Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2008
    Central Illinois, USA
    Tony Levin did. He once said that when he showed up with his first StingRay engineers said they couldn't get a good sound due to the active EQ. He had someone put a StingRay pre in hus Precision 'cause the engineers were listening with their eyes.

BTW the active Precision Special's pre was quite different from the 'Ray's. The Fender was +/- 18dB while Leo's was not completely boost/cut, and less than 18dB. Also the G&L L-1000 was passive and had massively different PUPs compared to a Precision, so probably not much like a P with a MM 2-band pre. .

G&L did advertise an L-1000e but as far as I know they never shipped any. They converted the one we ordered as part of our opening order to passive and dropped the L-1000e from the price list.

John

13. petrus61

petrus61 Supporting Member

Maybe its the opposite on a Stingray with a P pup installed. Instead of nobody hearing the G, nobody can hear the E!

14. Jim C

Jim C Spector#496:More curves than Sophia + better sound Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2008
    I've toyed with the idea of using the Uncle Fluffy MM copy pre I have in a foot pedal so as not to carve up a Pbass and to be able to use it with other basses.
    If I could only get caught up with projects…

15. jallenbass

jallenbass Supporting Member

May 17, 2005
    Bend, Oregon
  16. Up the dose

Up the dose

Mar 10, 2013