1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Why hate Adam Clayton?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by bassguppy, Feb 17, 2013.

1. bassguppy

bassguppy

2. Lackey

Lackey

I got nothing against the guy. His bass lines are extremely important to the music.
  3. Kmonk

Kmonk

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Fender and Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings
    I like some of their songs but I am not a big fan of U2. I think Adam Clayton is underrated. His bass lines are very simplistic but he has great timing and plays exactly what is right for the song.
  4. shrimpflea

shrimpflea

5. Duckwater

Duckwater

I just don't like U2, nothing against their bass player.
  6. Mushroo

Mushroo

If there are at least a dozen threads then why start another one? :)

U2 was a huge influence on me as a pre-teen, I'd love to have Adam's gig.
  7. 4-string

4-string Supporting Member

I think he's the perfect bassplayer for U2.
  8. bassguppy

bassguppy

Well my thread is regarding Adam Clayton's $8M apartment and how I hate him for it. ;)
  9. SactoBass

SactoBass There are some who call me.......Sactobass Supporting Member

My sentiment exactly! The singer's voice is like fingernails on a chalkboard........can't stand it! (IMO, of course). But I have nothing against the bassist. I just feel sorry for him having to constantly listen to that singer. Painful!!
  10. Mushroo

Mushroo

I recently found out my favorite Adam Clayton bassline ("40") is actually The Edge. ;)

Check out the look Bono gives Adam-on-guitar at 0:15! ;)
  11. Nashrakh

Nashrakh

My band once covered "with or without you" on a gig and I nearly fell asleep doing four chords over and over. It's really hard to try and not embellish it like I usually would... my job was playing metronome and adjust dynamics to each part of the song... try to do the former with a drummer who plays hockey with his kit on gigs.

Nothing against Clayton or 8th note pumpers but that just ain't my kind of music. 'Elevation' for example is a pretty kickass song though. So it certainly is not about a lack of talent!
  12. SactoBass

LMAO!
  13. Mushroo

Mushroo

My old ska band played an uptempo skanking version of "With or Without You"---always got a good crowd reaction! :)
  14. SBassman

SBassman Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Dealer: PiccoBass Guitar-scale Basses
    I didn't watch the whole thing, but, that's beautiful.

Was that Adam on guitar while The Edge covered bass?
  15. SBassman

Disclosures:
    Wow. More evidence of how our differences make the good world go round. I couldn't disagree more. Fingernails on a chalkboard? Wow.
  16. SBassman

Disclosures:
    Maybe you just missed the beauty of the music. I'd have chills playing that tune, not a fight to keep awake.
  17. xaxxat

xaxxat Supporting Member

I wish I had a voice like Bono's.

And Adam Clayton's gig too.
  18. Mushroo

Mushroo

Adam wasn't present for the recording session, so it's Edge on both bass and guitar on the LP. When they play it live, Adam plays guitar and Edge plays bass.

I like the bass line because it carries the song similar to Peter Hook's line on New Order's "Ceremony," another early influence of mine.
  19. Nashrakh

Nashrakh

Well it's not really the fault of the song itself actually but the playing conditions were downright awful...

Singer couldn't hit a note to save his life (we had a friend doing a guest appearance and he totally crapped all over the song) and the drummer went crazy :rollno: with a distinct lack of steadiness in timing by the end of the song we played it like 20 bpm faster than we started... (and once the drummer thrashes away there's no stopping him - go with his timing or play the song 'out of time', nice choice right there innit)

There was no magic to be found there... (maybe I wasn't so much falling asleep as being too totally embarrassed) also the reason why guest appearances are a big no-no for us now... (and the guy could sing it at rehearsal, go figure). I for one will never do that again, though the band considers doing With or Without You actually, but the singer veto'd it. I wouldn't actually mind if we did actually, but keep that singer away from me... :atoz:
  20. SactoBass

Yep. His voice grates on me almost as much as the singer in Foreigner (...almost). Whenever my wife and I are driving somewhere while listening to the radio, we make it a game to see which one of us can change the station the fastest whenever we hear a U2 or Foreigner song begin. (But don't worry, we always carry an extra package of barf bags in the car in case we aren't fast enough to change the station.)

But I completely agree with you about the beauty of having differing opinions. The last place I would ever want to exist is where everyone liked the same thing. What a freakish science fiction world that would be! I'm sure I like some music that others can't stand. It's all good! :bassist: