1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Why is it so hard to find a bass with a maple fretboard?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BrianToska, Feb 7, 2013.

1. BrianToska

BrianToska

I typically do not buy new instruments (maybe I'm weird), but I, for the life of me, cannot find a Jazz bass with a maple fretboard. I've checked the bay, craigslist, local shops, and local pawn shops. Nothing! Sorry for the rant. I guess the search continues
  2. Crystalman85

Crystalman85

3. lolmont

lolmont

Maybe I'm wrong, but I think it's that rosewood is the more popular fretboard. Watch any music video or live performance or talk show performance most musicians seem to rock rosewood for Guitar/Bass. With that logic less around means gonna be harder to find on a used market.
  4. chaosMK

chaosMK

Disclosures:
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
  5. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
  6. millsbass5

millsbass5

The majority of makers do have that option. Even Spector offers it now, after almost 40 years in the biz.
  7. C.Linton

C.Linton Supporting Member

I've had no problems getting maple on almost all of my instruments (two Fenders, 1 Jazz, 1 Strat, two Squiers), except for my Epi LP Jr. Certain makers are more likely to have it as an option than others, though, i.e. Fenders offer it on most models, Gibsons don't.
  8. mcnach

mcnach

There may be more of them in rosewood... but there are tons in maple!!! :confused:
  9. Jbassrockboy

Jbassrockboy

Fender make
    good maple neck basses. They are out there. My jazz bass is maple and I love it. Keep looking and be patient. One will turn up if that is what you really want.
  10. cnltb

cnltb

I'd be hard pressed to think of any builder that does not make basses with maple boards.
  11. AuntieBeeb

AuntieBeeb

I know Schecter offer maple and rosewood options on their Diamond Series basses. I was fortunate enough to have both side-by-side to test when I bought my Model T - confirmed my preference for rosewood, admittedly, but the maple board was still very nice!

The Model Ts are a P/J config though, might not be quite what you're after - but it might be worth looking at the rest of that range to see what's available.
  12. devilman666

devilman666

Ibanez Atk 805 e
  13. gordon5377

gordon5377

14. nukes_da_bass

nukes_da_bass Supporting Member

You checked Da Bay? I searched "jazz bass maple" and counted 19 whole jazz basses (not counting necks selling separately) got bored and came back to this thread.
  15. Jim Nazium

Jim Nazium Supporting Member

16. Thomas Kievit

Thomas Kievit Thou shall not F*** up the groove Supporting Member

17. AuntieBeeb

AuntieBeeb

18. AdamR

AdamR Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: VF Cables
    Hes looking for used not new. But yes, Rosewood seems to be more popular.
  19. mystic38

mystic38

funny really, every bass that i see that i find interesting seems to have a maple fretboard, and i prefer rosewood on basses
  20. Thomas Kievit

Thomas Kievit Thou shall not F*** up the groove Supporting Member