Why is shopping and buying a new mattress so difficult?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by RS, Jan 9, 2014.

1. RS

RS Supporting Member

Seriously.

2. Gorn Captain

Gorn Captain Supporting Member

I'm single, so I went into sleepys and found one I liked and bought it. Took about 10 minutes.

I could understand it being difficult if you're married.

3. stratovani

stratovani

Maybe it's because there's only one good way to test it, and it requires 8 hours and a sky without a sun shining in it. :smug:

4. Bufalo

Bufalo Funk in the Trunk Supporting Member

Plus, the stores and mattress manufacturers have conspired to not ever sell the exact same model in two competing stores, so you can't ever really compare one to another. Not sure how that racket exists, but it does...

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. RS

RS Supporting Member

That is a huge issue, yes.

7. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Yeah, I got mine almost two years ago. I didnt find anything at the first mattress store. The prices were too high. At the second, I found what I wanted and paid for it within 20 or so minutes.

8. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    We bought a Tempurpedic. Very simple process.

-Mike

9. RS

RS Supporting Member

She won't go for the memory foam. I'd love it.

10. Bass_Thumper

Bass_Thumper

Albums:
    +1 I don't think I can ever go back.

11. zachoff

zachoff

sleep number bed, ftw... Especially if you have a wife and you like different matresses. I don't have a sleep number bed, but stayed in a B&B that did and it ruled. My next mattress will be sleep numbered.

12. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

You don't have a good memory as far as what felt better. We spent a week shopping for a mattress and it was useless.

Next time I go mattress shopping, I'm checking out a maximum of 3 and they will be in the same store. Driving from store to store was a mistake, because by the time I'd try another mattress I didn't remember the feel of the first.

Actually, next time I buy a mattress it'll probably be one of those uber expensive ones that is adjustable.

13. 6jase5

6jase5 Mammogram is down but I'm working manually Supporting Member

I'd work on the wife to get the Tempur. We love ours. My wife can sleep standing up so she didn't care and I'll never have anything else. Don't believe the "it's hot, it smells funny" stuff.

Also, not all memory foam beds are the same. Try each of the Tempur line and I'll bet she finds one she likes.

If not, go Duxiana.

14. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya

I've been sleeping in college apartments for the past 5 years and have had nothing but the worst mattresses to sleep on. That said, I could never tell they were bad because I always had a memory foam cover to throw on top of it. Those memory foam covers are really that good.

I actually just moved into my first town home this week, and I bought a bed set from Ikea about three days ago. The mattress I got is a much needed step up from the mattresses I used in college, but I know it's only a matter of time before a get a new topper for it. They really take a mattress to the next level (assuming you don't want to spend over a grand for a really nice mattress).

15. pedroims

pedroims

Because the good ones are really expensive and make you think if you actually need it.

16. ZenG

ZenG

I hate foam tops.........always make me sweat and I get "hotspots".....

17. Unprofessional

Unprofessional Supporting Member

We bought a Sleep Number back before Thanksgiving. It was finally, correctly delivered on December 30th. Long story made short: those Sleep Number delivery clowns operate on the pure chaos system. Not funny when you've taken a day off from work to wait for them and they call two hours before delivery time to cancel. They missed three delivery dates before we finally threatened to cancel the sale to get some action and a $500 rebate out of them.
    We got a queen mattress with the high end base unit that massages (scares the **** out of the dog) and adjusts every which way. The queen sized base unit does not feature individual adjustment of the head or foot height so we have to compromise on that. It's got this pre-set "zero g" setting that is the bomb for watching TV.
    There is a known problem without a cure that we just found out about. The warmth from your body heat combined with cool air in the air bladder can cause condensation to form on the top of the air bladder down inside the mattress. You can find out more about it on the interwebs since Sleep Number got class actioned on it. Sleep Number claims that they have switched to anti-microbial materials and that has alleviated any mold problem. They claim the moist bladder top is not a problem now. I'm still not too happy about it.
    Also, I watched those Sleep Number delivery guys assemble and disassemble that thing a couple of times. It's going to be a PITA if I ever have to move it to a different room or a different house.
    Overall, we're pleased but, boy, that thing wasn't cheap.

18. i_got_a_mohawk

i_got_a_mohawk

Not a fan of memory foam stuff here, don't like the creeping feel you get (plus they always seem helluva warm!).

It may be difficult to get a mattress that suits, but, bed's are one of the two things which you should always aim for the best quality you can (the other being footwear, you'll spend most of your life in one or the other!).

19. delta7fred

delta7fred

Another single guy here so no wife to appease. I bought a memory foam mattress on the internet untried and loved it apart from it made me sweat.

To get round this I folded a cellular blanket in half and put it under the fitted sheet, across the bed from just under the pillow downwards so you my body was on it even if my legs were not.

This gave some air between me and the foam and completely cured the problem.

20. bjelkeman

bjelkeman Bass player wannabe Supporting Member

21. kesslari

kesslari Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    This. Find out why she won't go for it. They are really the best way to go.