1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Why not give a brother feedback?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Engine207, Jan 24, 2013.

1. Engine207

Engine207 Losing faith in humanity...one call at a time. Supporting Member

So I've done a few deals here on TB and have perfect feedback (so far) I try to make sure my buyers are happy with the deal and provide good positive feedback on every deal.

A few weeks ago, I did a deal and, as usual, checked with the buyer to make sure everything was cool. He said it was and I started to close the deal by doing feedback for him. Well, he didn't reciprocate. I gave it about a week and sent a friendly PM reminder that I left positive for him.

Another week went by, with no feedback. I sent another PM, asking if something was wrong...again, no response. I've seen in his profile that he's done lots of deals and given lots of feedback, and he's been on every time I look, so it's not like he's an infrequent flyer.

So why might a dude be blowing off a simple customary gesture of TB kindness? How do you guys deal with such situations?

2. ducknturtle

ducknturtle

Feedback is like tipping, it's voluntary.

3. Lowactnsatsfctn

Lowactnsatsfctn

Some people treat Feedback as if it is somewhat directional. My first few deals, I only left feedback for sellers. It didn't occur to me that I could leave feedback for buyers who didn't play games and flake out.
    Also, there are a few members who's PM boxes are full.

4. joebar

joebar

same thing has happened with me
    it should be manditory to leave feedback especially when a new TBer is trying hard to build a solid reputation. those comments are hard fought for.
    i have realized that a lot of members have lives outside of this site, but i think that people should learn to communicate a little better in general-it isn't hard.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. lfmn16

lfmn16 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    I'm a Fuzzrocious-aholic. It's been one week since I bought my last Fuzzrocious pedal.
    I can think of two reasons not to leave feedback. One is that the buyer wasn't unhappy enough to burn you, but wasn't happy enough to recommend you. The second is that they are lazy and inconsiderate. Only they know the real reason.

7. the yeti

the yeti

i've had it happen a few times too. probably everybody has.

maybe there should be a feedback rating on a tb'ers likelihood to leave feedback?

8. alembicguy

alembicguy Lone Wolf Miner

I find a lot don't know how to do it so they don't.

9. NYCbassist

NYCbassist Supporting Member

10. TonyP-

TonyP- Excuse me but you have your I-IV-V in my II-V-I Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsments listed in profile
    I noticed that a lot more lately on here...

11. Engine207

I thought about that, but the item sold wasn't anything that wouldn't function properly and it was cosmetically as shown in the photos. I even took 20% less than my asking price, no sweat. In the first PM, when i asked if everytbing was cool, he said it was. If it wasn't, what better time to speak up?

12. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

+1 I have one hanging like that gave this person a really great deal sent two PM's making sure everything was alright and that they were happy nothing?

13. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

When I buy something here, I PM the seller, either offer to buy at his price, or I make an offer. If he agrees, I send money immediately. He should leave me positive feedback (how much better can you ask for). I will leave feedback after I receive item. if you are waiting around to see what kind of feedback you get from me, after I paid you immediately, you probably won't get feedback from me.

14. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

This has happened to me here a couple times. Last week I made a straight trade on some pedals and am waiting for them to give me feedback. I gave him feedback as soon as I received the pedal, in good working order. I suppose to some guys it doesn't mean that much, but to a guy like me it does. I am not a supporting member yet, but I have made several deals here and only received feedback from 2 TBers. Personally I like the feeling of security from dealing with guys with some positive feedback and I assume others feel the same, particularly when I am not a supporting member.

15. JB36

JB36 Supporting Member

You can easily see if a member bought an item from the TB classifieds and potentially how much they paid if the original thread didn't have the price edited out. I've always thought some people may want to stop the tracing of a purchase if they are going to sell on at a higher price.

16. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

A lot of times I have made deals after seeing the thread in the classifieds and just PMing the member. In those cases there is no evidence in the thread of who the buyer was.

17. worxforme

worxforme Self Actualized Bad Speller Supporting Member

Another reason could be that we rarely go on here from a computer and it's next to impossible to do from our cell (for me it's impossible but I'm sure some know how)

So when I get on from a computer I try to leave all my feedback since I was last on from my computer.

18. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

I've had maybe two or three deals out of about 33 for which the buyer or seller neglected to provide feedback. It used to bother me more than it does now.

I always make a point of taking the initiative with feedback. Often that's all the reminder the other party needs. If I haven't received feedback within a few days of the transaction, I'll usually send a PM, inquiring about the other person's satisfaction with the deal. If he's satisfied, then I'll politely request feedback - then I let it go. It's not worth pestering anyone for it. If it happens, it happens. If not, I don't lose any sleep over it. :meh:

MM

19. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

The deal thread doesn't always reflect the actual sales price - even if the asking price is still visible and hasn't been edited out. Oft times, all you can tell from the deal thread is the seller's original asking price - not necessarily the price for which the item ultimately sold. Typically sellers will post an asking price that is a bit on the high side of the market range for that item - just in case an eager buyer is ready to buy it at that price right away, or at least in order to give themselves some negotiation room for when the dickering begins in earnest. :meh:

MM

20. speak2planets

speak2planets Supporting Member

I do the exact same thing. Although I've only done 3 deals with one in progress, I would like to have the reflection of being someone who is honest to deal with. And feedback left, along with the comments, is one way people will judge your stability.

21. Engine207

You may be on to something, here. Some buyers may expect to get positive feedback just because they paid immediately, but to me... the deal isn't over until both parties walk away happy. I've had people pay right away, get feedback and become extortionists.

One dude used a bass I'd sold him for a week, then wanted his money back because it wasn't in tune when it arrived. He might still have done that even after feedback, but I think feedback should be done after a deal's done, not when it's still in progress.