Why so many Jamiroqaui songs in bass related videos?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by russpurdy, Dec 28, 2013.

1. russpurdy

russpurdy Supporting Member

I mean, yeah, great bass lines and all but it seems at least half the time I check out a bass gear video or something similar someone is always playing a Jamiroquai tune. His/Their stuff was kind of a one hit wonder here in Canada in the 90's. Is the music more popular elsewhere or is it just popular amongst bass players? Not trying to be insulting, genuinely curious.

Thanks!

2. fmoore200

fmoore200

I think they were pretty big on the other side of the pond, but also the style of music is very bass centric so it makes sense in that way... Just my 2 cents

3. petrus61

petrus61 Supporting Member

Huge in Europe. Their stuff is actually very good if you give it a listen...somewhat reminiscent of Stevie Wonder/Steely Dan. I don't own a single album but some friends swear by them and play them a bit at parties and such.

And yeah, killer bass work.

4. T-MOST

T-MOST Supporting Member

It's just great music for bass players. Makes perfect sense that a lot of bassists cover the songs.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. therhodeo

therhodeo

Yep. Seems every instrument has artists that players gravitate to.

7. Milk

Milk

The fact that i bothered learning a Jamiroquai tune (Runaway) from hearing it in youtube bass video when i actually have normally no interest for that kind of music says a lot about the quality of the basslines. I still frequently play it.

And yes, they were always successful in britain.

8. Frohman

Frohman

European here. Jamiroqaui is really big around the continent. And I can see why, great melodies, talented singer, interesting musical structures and awesome grooves. It's in many ways universally good music; Who doesn't love it?

9. aphexafx

aphexafx A mind is a terrible thing. Supporting Member

I don't know much about Jamiroquai aside from seeing that video on MTV through hazy eyes deep in the night when I awoke from binge drinking and whatnot in the 90's.

BUT

Paul Turner's playing on the Abbey Road session is one of the reasons I'm playing again. Now I want to look up Stuart and Nick. Thanks for the infos.

Btw, Paul has/plays an Alleva Coppolo which led me into ungodly levels of bass-crush over this sexy...amazing...thing: http://bass-aholic.com/basses/A/alleva-coppolo/45.jpg

Anyway, Paul is awesome and I love his playing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Turner_(bassist)

10. russpurdy

russpurdy Supporting Member

Thanks for the insight dudes. I figured they must be big somewhere and will have to look into more of their stuff. Kinda strikes me as a Robbie Williams kinda thing. Hugely popular in Britain but even though his stuff is really good he only makes minor headlines in North America.

11. HowieH

HowieH

For the uninitiated, start here

12. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Supporting Member

They are great to play! Not super simple, but not Jaco or Jeff Berlin chop busters that also have great groove.

13. aphexafx

aphexafx A mind is a terrible thing. Supporting Member

I don't remember. :p

14. T-MOST

T-MOST Supporting Member

+1

15. peledog

peledog Supporting Member

Jamiroquai is huge everywhere except north America.

Their live shows are legendary. Wish they'd tour here.

16. taylor16

taylor16 Thank you, Mr. Miner. Supporting Member

I grew up in Toronto and in the mid-90s when I was in high school, Jamiroquai was huge. Zender was the reason I started playing bass. I can't help but believe that his tone on the "Planet Earth" album set the template for "my" tone now. I am, unfortunately, no where near it at this point :(

17. DannyBob

DannyBob

Here in Britian lead singer Jay Kay is affectionately named 'Tw*t in the hat'

But I do like them :)

18. EddieT

EddieT

Love em. Saw them last summer in Guildford. Incredible day. Paul Turner is a fantastic bass player. The entire band and JK were right on the money. On the hottest day of the year too.

19. Molan

Molan

Totally agree, they do really big shows all over the world, just not as well known in USA. Played to a lot of people in South America last year.

Often play big outdoor festivals but also some classy shows like the Nobel Peace Prize concert.

Paul is a great player and a super nice guy. His everyday bass is a lovely '66 Jazz and he has the Alleva for numbers where he needs a 5 string.

For larger gigs he uses an Aguilar DB750 with a pair of GS410 cabs. For club gigs (with the other two bands he's in) he has a Tone Hammer 500 with two SL112's.

He also has an awesome pedal board with some great vintage kit run through a GigRig controller.

20. CapnSev

CapnSev Supporting Member

Only on the post-Zender albums IMO.

21. JimK

JimK

Nice to know. I have a couple of the early albums with Zender…found them a cool band with a '70s retro vibe. I guess it was called Acid Jazz?
    The singer, though, too derivative of Stevie, IMO.

Still prefer the Brand New Heavies for this retro-style R&B(AKA Acid Jazz).