Why so much Sublime?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by ncapone, Jan 29, 2013.

1. ncapone

ncapone

Why is it that every cover band is required to play Sublime songs? Our last guitarist wanted us to play 6 of them and every guitarist we auditioned that also wants to play several of them. What gives?
  2. Pokerdweebz

Pokerdweebz Supporting Member

I've probably heard one before, but I don't even know a Sublime song by name. Don't think I'm much help here.
  3. alembicguy

alembicguy Lone Wolf Miner Supporting Member

Because women like dancing to them
  4. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Gold Supporting Member

I also do not care for Sublime but have played it live, 6 is WAY to many unless you are a ska band or mildly similar.

We used to play What I got and it would go over really well, people would love it, but it is also their most recognizable song. It is super easy though so you can sit back and relax.

I certainly wouldn't consider sublime on the list of every band covers songs but if I did it would only be What I Got, I really doubt too many bands cover date rape or santeria. I don't know any other songs than those 3 truthfully.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. portlandguy

portlandguy

everyone knows it, yet it is still cool.
  7. bassfran

bassfran

Disclosures:
    Endorsing artist: Lakland basses
    They're easy to play and are recognizable to the under 40 set.
  8. ncapone

ncapone

But why is it cool? I like some ska, don't get me wrong, but what about them makes everyone go crazy?
  9. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Supporting Member

I've played a few, three that I can think of. They're good dance songs. But no, I don't get why it's such a huge deal. Like Diabolus said, unless you're a tribute band or something I wouldn't do more than 2 in a night (unless people kept requesting it).
  10. Diesel Kilgore

Diesel Kilgore

You can't ask that question in California. I understand the bombarment and overload of Sublime at times. But it doesnt bother me. For as popular as they still are, especially out here, me and my guitarist never play them. Alot of people do though probably because they are easy, fun to sing along to, most people know them and are excepted as laid back chill songs most places.
  11. HolmeBass

HolmeBass

They're really excellent. Newell has a great voice (had?). The writing is clever and accessible. The drums and bass are off the hook, incredibly catchy and deeply grooving.

But I guess if you couldn't tell that just by listening to them then? I dunno... :eyebrow:
  12. charliefreak

charliefreak

I like what everybody else says! They're danceable (w/o throwing your manhood to the wind), very easy, and groovey. Their progressions to me are like... groovey greenday lol straight and to the point theoretically, but those guys get down
  13. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

The simplest answer is often the most powerful.

Lots of bands cover Santeria, and some will do Date Rape.
    Badfish is a real popular song by Sublime, as well as Doin' Time.
    Saw Red is a good one to do for a band with female & male vocalists.

Nowell, and yes - had.

The rest of the lineup occasially tours but theyre now known as "Sublime with Rome" as they have this guy named Rome who sings and plays guitar with them.
  14. HolmeBass

HolmeBass

Nowell, thanks. I knew he was dead, just wondering what was the better tense to use for existent recordings.
  15. ncapone

ncapone

I can understand what you all mean. I don't know, their songs just never really clicked with me.
  16. NYCbassist

NYCbassist Supporting Member

[​IMG]

Oh, Sorry wrong Sublime:cool:
  17. mizzou541

mizzou541 Supporting Member

Sublime songs have a good, catchy groove and everyone knows the songs. Santeria will have every woman under 40 dancing so why not play it?
  18. moten33

moten33 Supporting Member

I jam with some guys as a "side project" band at open mics and opening for some iof our friends and such. We do a lot of rock stuff but "What I Got" always seems to go over best. As people said, the crowd sings along and dances. It's what we're there for.
  19. bobba66

bobba66

Disclosures:
    I'm just glad I have a job.
    Sweet Mopar!
  20. steamthief

steamthief

qft
  21. Bassic Playing

Bassic Playing

As a bassist you should insist you play them, because Eric Wilson is an exceptioally smooth, groove-based and melodic player