Why the DISCO hate?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by bigboy_78, Feb 12, 2014.

1. bigboy_78

bigboy_78

My current band has been slowly getting away from straight ahead blues, and moving more towards Soul/R&B numbers. I was enthusiastic about it, “Yeah man, we can still play blues, but maybe a few funky, soul songs. Maybe throw in a few Disco numbers to fill the floor………”

You would think I had shot someone’s dog. "Disco?!? We will NOT be playing any DISCO!!"

What is it with Disco that people are so against? Is it to a 50 year old, like asking a 20 year old to play Katy Perry or what?

I love Disco, but I’m only 35 so wasn’t “there”.
  2. msact

msact Gold Supporting Member

I am old enough to have suffered through Disco the first time around. I couldn't stand it back then and my opinion hasn't changed any over the years. I would rather sit and listen to my hair grow than to listen to disco.
  3. Stewie26

Stewie26 Gold Supporting Member

Disco music brought the DJ into the clubs/bars and put a lot of musicians out of work which has carried over to where we are today. You will find a lot more hate for disco from musicians than the general public.
  4. ZenG

ZenG

I was "there".......

At the time there were a lot of disco clubs around.....and people used to dress up to go to these clubs as a rule....

Good place to meet the ladies......

There were some notable 'good" disco songs........but there were a lot of schlocky "duds" too.......

Some received a lot of play...."Ra Ra Rasputin" comes to mind....:rollno:

I'm glad I didn't rely on Disco music as my sole audio sustenance.....

Only went there because there was always lots of females around to get to know and dance with.

I kinda liked KC & The Sunshine Band.......

But every time "I Will Survive" came on I wanted to trash the joint.

John Travolta's character that he played in "Saturday Night Fever" was over the top and a bit misleading.....

The clubs I went to, the only people that could dance real good were black people. Some of them could make John Travolta look like a rank amateur.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    DISCO:

[​IMG]

ROCK:

[​IMG]

Notice the subtle differences.

And that's just a tiny little piece of it.
  7. bigboy_78

bigboy_78

.....its the guitars, isn't it?
  8. DerHoggz

DerHoggz I like cats :| Banned

Disco seems like it jumped the shark and became a cliche version of itself really quick.
  9. skwee

skwee

obviously they are not bass players. Disco is a ball to play!
  10. Duuuuuuuuuude

Duuuuuuuuuude

After the success of Saturday Night Fever, there was a huge anti-disco backlash that was started by a Chicago DJ named Steve Dahl. Dahl was so pissed that the Stones and Zeppelin were being dropped from playlists in favor of Village People, Donna Summer and Chic, that he launched his "Disco sucks!" campaign. Dahl encouraged listeners to phone in their disco requests, which he would then destroy on air with explosive sound effects. In 1979 Dahl staged Disco Demolition Night at Comiskey Park during a White Sox doubleheader where he blew up a crate of disco records. 50,000 people rioted and vandalized the ballpark.

Shortly after that is when all those songs like Long Live Rock by the Who and Rock'n'Roll Aint Noise Pollution by AC-DC came out.
  11. nashvillebill

nashvillebill

However, whenever my last band played "I Will Survive", it invariably packed the dance floor with chicks.... just sayin'...
  12. mellowinman

mellowinman Perfect for Breaking the Ice at Naughty Parties Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I hated disco back in the day, but now? It's not bad; some songs are pretty good.

I made a playlist that I considered well-balanced for a work-related party, and the lady in charge of the committee said, "it needs more disco." I thought, "no one's ever said that to me before," and then I made sure and CAREFULLY select disco songs I liked, mixing in plenty of funk/r&b songs as well.
  13. groooooove

groooooove

i think so.

i remember hearing billy sheehan saying how he hates 'normal' slapping, because it reminds him of the days when clubs would tear down their stage, install a bigger dance floor and hire DJ's, then he was out of a job.

i can support some of it- i guess depending on how much heavy funk stuff you'd go ahead and call disco. some of it has really great bass playing, so i'd never overlook that.

but that's not to say there isin't plenty that is really cheesy.
  14. bigboy_78

bigboy_78

So when does FUNK become DISCO?
  15. vin*tone

vin*tone

Nothing wrong with disco if that's the kind of band you want to play in but.... These guys are BLUES musicians and you want them to play disco??
  16. mellowinman

mellowinman Perfect for Breaking the Ice at Naughty Parties Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
  17. Hobobob

Hobobob Don't feed the troll, folks. Supporting Member

KC and the Sunshine Band
    Chic
    Bee Gees
    And some one hit wonders like Boogie Oogie Oogie and Forget Me Nots
    I dig this stuff. Groovin bass and catchy melody. There is a lot of disco that is just terrible though. Luckily that stuff has mostly been forgotten.
  18. FretlessMainly

FretlessMainly

Bottom line for me is that disco embodies all of the reasons I don't listen to music nor why I play music. I don't view music as a reason to dance and that's the essence of disco. Now, I fully understand that many people do view music as a reason to dance and many musicians play music for that primary purpose. That's great for all of you; keep it up, get the asses shaking and make some money.

For me, music is a thing to become immersed in; thoughtfully. I don't use or play music to relax and I don't use or play music to dance. I use it to express that something or other that's somewhere in myself and I choose the music I listen to as a means to get fresh perspectives on that concept and to reflect on what's important in my life. Reducing music to a frivolous activity such as passing the time while waiting for a bus with earbuds stuffed in my ear or reducing it to mere body gyrations transforms it into a mere triviality to me.

Music is more important to me than those things. Your opinion may vary, blah, blah, blah, etc. and stuff and junk and all that.
  19. nanymoa

nanymoa

I think the public who likes to dance has a good time with disco music. I don't see anything wrong about playing it. Same with pop music, I find it fun to play and harder than I thought.
    I'm experimenting some electro-pop fusion with a friend on keyboards. It's coming out nice. We've looked into disco a little on our research, same with other up-beat rhythms. Great music IMHO.
  20. Steve

Steve

because disco is the rhythm section ripping it up while the guitar player upstrokes a 9th once per measure for 4 minutes. If they wanted to play like that they would have been, a bass player in a blues band.:D:
  21. Nashrakh

Nashrakh

Four to the floor and far less syncopation is a good start. Add some strings, experiment less with unconventional sounds and rhythms and there you go. Compare Parliament's Mothership Connection with the Bee Gees for further reference.

That said, there's a lot of fun to be had and quite a lot of bands were between the fnces... Like Earth, Wind and Fire. Personally I wouldn't block completely if I were asked to play Disco, it depends on the songs.