why the zoom b1 is a bad pedal?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by leosep, Dec 24, 2013.

1. leosep

leosep

Hi, few years ago someone gave me this pedal but never really used it, i found it days ago and wanted to have some fun with it. Since then i'm reading reviews on the internet and a lot of people say that is a bad pedal, buy the zoom b2 or the zoom b3, horrible, etc. I want to know why does people say that? I know that some of you will say that if i like it, thats enough. I watched some videos on youtube of people testing the pedal and i think that it sounds good. Some people say that you just need to know how to EQ it. Some people say that is garbage. The thing is that i dont have the best ear for that, and i want to know what do the experienced bassist here think about it. Like explaining why is bad or why is good.

Some videos:

2. Bassmike62

Bassmike62

I still have mine, that I use as a rythm machine for home practice when needed. I bought it because it has a tuner and I also wanted to know more about the world FX and it played that role well. On the minus side, it is made of plastic and a bit flimsy. Also, most of the effects are not all that well simulated, to my ears anyway. But, I will recognize that it pushed down the SansAmp way (the B1 has a very decent SansAmp sim). All in all, a good and cheap way to learn about FX, but that's about it. There are way better multis for not much more (the MS60B) and some folks like me shy away from multis to get into single pedals for effects (I use my 60B as a fancy-assed EQ pedal).
  3. bassbrad

bassbrad

The Zoom B1 and B1x, like their counterparts the G1 and G1x are decent pedals especially for a starter or for practice but they are not so practical for more serious performers. Sure they are plastic and rather fragile but I gigged for many years with a 506 and later a 607 that were the same construction with little trouble with reasonable care.
    I have a G1x that has some very good sounds for bass and g-tar but I do appreciate the sturdier construction and the better quality sounds and additional controls of the B2 and B3.
  4. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Our old guitar player had a Zoom G1, and I thought the effects it had were noisy, digital sounding like a low bitrate MP3, and not nearly as good as my B2. Having said that, it's a fine way to get your feet wet with effects and decide which ones you really like so you can go out and get much better versions in pedal form.
  5. Register to disable this ad