Why these positions for these pickups?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by fourstringbliss, Feb 17, 2013.

1. fourstringbliss

fourstringbliss Supporting Member

Why do you think Peavey put these J-pups where they did on this bass?

[​IMG]

The bridge pickup is about in the 70's Jazz Bass position, but the neck pup is too far forward. Is the neck pickup at the 24th fret (about)?
  2. rubbadubdub

rubbadubdub

If your bass has the same pickups as my Peavey millenium maybe they were trying to get some decent lows out of it. My bass has plenty of j bass style growl but is for sale due to the weak low end.
    I wonder how it affects the both pups on together tone?
    Do you like the way it sounds? It's a nice looking bass.
  3. abemo

abemo

Generally you move a pup closer to the neck to give it a deeper, fatter, thicker tone. The closer you are to the middle of the string the greater the vibration, therefore, a thicker, less focused sound. Also, if it is on the 24th fret, that is a "node" (or non-vibrating point) for many of the subfrequencies that vibrate along with the fundemental, in theory giving it a stronger fundamental and less harmonics, though in practice, the nodes change locations as you fret different notes, so its mostly just for a fatter tone.
  4. FunkyMan

FunkyMan

This looks like 70's position placement, like the Marcus Miller Jazz bass, it's different from 60's basses!

In 70's position, the bridge pickups is more towards the bridge, it gives more scooped sound
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. JoeWPgh

JoeWPgh

Actually, moving the pickup closer to the neck will give a deeper sound in the first position and become more like a bridge pickup as you get to the top of the neck. This would be an advantage to soloists and perhaps slappers.
  7. fourstringbliss

All good thoughts. I don't have the bass yet so I can't say from experience, but i'll bet it's a nice blend of focused and fat.
  8. fourstringbliss

I visually compared it to a 70's J. The bridge pup is about the same position, but the neck pup is farther forward.