1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Why UPS!?! (a rant)

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by NicJimBass, Feb 3, 2014.

1. NicJimBass

NicJimBass The Kirk Hammett of bass guitar! Supporting Member

I ordered a new (used) bass last Wednesday. First strike actually goes to Guitar Center for not shipping that day, despite having daily pickups, and despite me having called to buy the bass as soon as the store opened. They claimed to have shipped on Thursday, and sent me a tracking number that day, but everything on the UPS tracking number indicates it didn't go out until Friday.

Anyway, watching the tracking number, it shows it went from Nashville to Cincinnati, then Sharonville (near Cincy), then, instead of Columbus, it went way north to Maumee (near Toledo) and has been sitting there since Saturday. From the beginning, it has had an estimated arrival date of Tuesday. Even though UPS could've very easily gotten it to me either Saturday or today (I realize UPS doesn't deliver on Sat unless you pay extra.... a major reason I prefer FedEx.... but still), they essentially sent the box way out of the way (perhaps on purpose?) and are now letting it sit, so that they hit the arrival date. It wouldn't hurt anyone for me to get the package a little early, but UPS seems hellbent on keeping things as they are.

Yes, I'm impatient, but this makes no sense to me. Anyone else have a similar experience?

/rant

2. Huge

Huge Hell is full of musical amateurs. Like me. Supporting Member

I had a bass neck start in Colorado, then went to:
    Salina KS
    Omaha, NE
    Eagan, MN
    Fargo, ND
    Winnipeg, MB
    and then finally to Edmonton.

I get that they have their routes, and it got to me when they said it would so I have nothing to complain about, though it was a roundabout way to get to me considering I'm pretty much directly north from the starting location.

Still better than USPS where my package started in Washington state, went to Los Angeles the next day, spent a week there and then got sent all the way back up to Canada.

3. Maxdusty

Maxdusty Supporting Member

I just had a bass delivered today by UPS that was supposed to be here in Michigan last Thursday. It sat about 3 blocks away from me over the weekend in the warehouse. Wasn't in a rush, probably could have picked it up but was too busy anyway.

Same thing happened to your bass from what it looks like to another bass I ordered last Tuesday from GC in Louisiana but it wasn't picked up for 2 or 3 days. According to the schedule, I won't get it till Wednesday.
    Some states such as Alabama, Louisiana, Georgia, and I believe Tennessee had a delay, due to the weather- the one inch of snow created havoc over there. UPS didn't send their trucks to pickup or deliver in some areas in those states. Not GC's fault nor UPS, I'D rather have a bass delivered to me safely instead of being inside a UPS truck that gets into an accident sliding on the ice.

4. NicJimBass

I get that that is a possibility, and if that happened, I can deal with the wait, no problem. I did email the sales associate that I bought the bass from, and he claimed the bass was picked up on Thursday evening, yet there was nothing on the tracking number, other than info showing it had been created, until Friday night. Having worked at UPS for a season, I know that anytime a package is picked up, it's scanned and is in the system. I've never seen it take 24 hours to update, ever, which is what he claimed was happening.

Again, first world problems, I know, but a pain in my butt.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Any delays I've experienced with UPS (which are very few in number) have been the result of inclement weather.

I've always had good experiences - both shipping and receiving - with UPS.

7. NicJimBass

I will admit that most of my experiences with UPS have been good. I just don't understand why they would overshoot Columbus by as much as they did, other than to keep it on-schedule, rather than ahead of schedule. Ah well.

8. pfox14

pfox14

Remember the opening scene in Ace Ventura when he plays a delivery man kicking a box down the street? It's only funny cause that's the way UPS actually operates. That and the gorillas in the warehouses. Hope it gets there in one piece. "Got a package people!!!!"

9. TigerInATrance

TigerInATrance

I had a package sit in the facility 3 miles away for 2 days because it wasn't scheduled for delivery until that date...

Another package went from Indiana to Kansas before making it's way out here to NJ...

I have decided that there is no logic to the way they do things.

10. smperry

smperry Moderator Supporting Member

Media:
    Since this thread is related to shipping musical instruments, I'm moving to Miscellaneous.

11. Maxdusty

Maxdusty Supporting Member

Yes, mine had the number and label having been printed awaiting pickup for 2 or 3 days myself. I think it was Friday when it was actually scanned in and showed any movement. I was actually wondering if the tracking system was down. The associate probably meant the box was all packed and ready for the ups pickup which barring the weather delay would have meant pickup by ups at the end of the day-(that's what shows up on his end on his computer unless he goes to the shipping department and sees the boxes still physically sitting there.)
    I've had basses delivered ahead of schedule by a day or so but this weather delayed these last two orders. Kind of a bummer I agree, but a safe delivery is all I want. Bass today was absolutely well packed and would have withstood quite a bit of jostling. After seeing about 30 basses delivered to my house, the Portland, Oregon store did some incredible packing. Even put the brown paper around the strings to protect the fretboard! wow. We'll see how the Louisiana store does. lol.

12. NicJimBass

Maybe, but I did ask specifically if UPS had picked it up or if it was still sitting in the shipping department. I asked that he go and physically check. He said UPS had picked it up the night before, making it sound like he had first-hand knowledge. It is what it is, but I feel they may have been less than honest.

13. mongo2

mongo2

Seems to me that UPS would try to route and schedule the most efficient way with regard to their cost to transport. Therefore items may sit in a hub for a time waiting until there are enough items to fill a truck or flight to the next stop along the route as planned for in their estimated delivery time.

14. Unrepresented

Unrepresented Something Borderline Offensive Supporting Member

Media:
    Running additional employees at overtime pay and increased liability just on the chance that you might be home to get your package earlier than promised makes for much more expensive service.

15. kikstand454

kikstand454 Supporting Member

Just last week I had a UPS issue.

Ordered an amp and it was due Thursday.
    Tuesday I called their 800 number to tell them that I wasn't going to be home on Thursday to sign for it, and to just leave it at their local hub and I'd pick it up after work. They said that's fine but I needed to talk to someone local. Three transfers later I had confirmed this plan with several people INCLUDING someone at said local terminal.
    Thursday comes along and I'm leaving work to go there ( 20+ minutes out of my way) and dear wife calls and said they tried to deliver it. I shook my head and went anyway. Asked the guy about it and he said no....it was on a truck and I would have to come back tomorrow. I said no... I will not be doing that. Got a bit loud with the manager after that and found out my amp was on a truck driving all over the next county ( on dirt roads) for no reason. I tried to explain to him that was the entire reason I called ahead....but he didn't grasp the concept. I finally raised enough hell that he had the driver bring it to my house at 7pm on his way back to the terminal.
    There were 5 of us in line that day..... they had NONE of our packages.
    *smh*

16. NicJimBass

Oh, I'm not asking for UPS to bend over backwards for me. Columbus is about 2-2.5 hours northeast of Cincy. Maumee is an additional 3 hours northwest of Columbus. Logically, it makes more sense to go straight from Cincy to Columbus, as the distance is much shorter, than to go from Cincy to Maumee. Had they done the logical thing, my bass would've been in Columbus, and likely, my town of Lancaster, on Saturday, putting it in my hands today.

No one needs to work overtime or increase liability, they just need to use their brain. Instead, they burned more gas than necessary to send my package 200 miles away, all in the name of (I assume) hitting their original arrival date. It seems they put more effort into not delivering my package early, than doing things the logical way.

Oh, and I don't need to be home... the package doesn't need a signature.

17. Unrepresented

Unrepresented Something Borderline Offensive Supporting Member

Media:
    I don't know the greater Ohio region at all, but sometimes things look different from a microscopic level than from a macroscopic one.

If your bass was the only item that needed to be transported, sorted, and delivered it would probably involve a much more direct pathway. In trying to utilize economy of scale (i.e. make sure all of your neighbors get their packages in a timely and cost effective manner), some minor inefficiencies are unfortunately created to increase overall efficiency.

18. BawanaRik

BawanaRik Supporting Member

Because that's the route they ship them.

They don't have someone drive directly from GC to your door.

19. therhodeo

therhodeo

Yep. Got to think of the big picture here.

20. NicJimBass

I am looking big picture here, and no, I'm not expecting something stupid like direct ship. Looking it up on mapquest, my bass will travel over 300 miles, just in Ohio, when the direct route is less than 100. Being that Cincy and Columbus are both major cities, it makes sense that there is at least one direct shipment between the two cities on a daily basis, probably more. To say that this is the norm is just ridiculous.

21. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

Then if you have worked at UPS you would also know that drivers don't always scan every box when they're picking up a ton of them at one pick up.
    My work place ships lots of 70+ boxes and they get missed at pickup, then don't show anything until they hit the DC. Sometimes it's the DC near the recipient, so several days later. I've got a 136 lb'er sitting here for UPS today!
    As far as delivery schedules, it because of the truck routes. Trucks that are loaded full of cargo going all over the country, no just one box.