1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Why won't this work with my daisy chain?!?!?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Mattbass97, Nov 9, 2012.

1. Mattbass97

Mattbass97

I bought this so I could use it in my daisy chain with my ehx bass blogger because it has positive ground so I got this adapter so I can use it with my other effects. And it doesn't even work!!! I'm so annoyed the led wont turn on unless its directly connected to the power supply. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1352498970.688126.jpg
  2. lowfreq33

lowfreq33

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz Amplification
    EHX pedals typically have a pretty high current draw. Won't work without enough power.
  3. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    I doubt the Blogger uses more than a few mA, it's nothing like one of their big old synth or tube boxes. And anyway, most daisy chain supplies have tons of available current.

However it is the case that most center-positive EHX pedals won't work when sharing a ground with anything else. The polarity adapter only solves the polarity, not the ground-sharing problem. Basically, unless you get a device to fully isolate the ground, you will not be able to use a daisy chain with that pedal. And TBH there's no guarantee that the ground-isolating device would work either, because I haven't tried it.
  4. BassBrass

BassBrass

Fortunately, blogger works well with a battery and I've even forgotten to disconnect it overnight and there's enough juice left. Two days forget it.
  5. Mattbass97

Mattbass97

Just gonna use it with a battery like I used to it does last an awful long time
  6. Got2SadowskyNYC

Got2SadowskyNYC

Disclosures:
    Artist: Sadowsky, Bag End, Visual Sound, Pedaltrain, George L
    Tell me what power supply you're using and the other pedals. I can tell you exactly why.

The Bass Blogger has a current draw around 10-15 mA.
  7. Mattbass97

Mattbass97

Visual sound 1 spot, pitchblack,105q wah, bass big muff, bass fuzz deluxe, mxr bass di and bassballs
  8. NeroJazz

NeroJazz Supporting Member

The Bass Blogger doesn't work with a daisy chain.
  9. Got2SadowskyNYC

Got2SadowskyNYC

Disclosures:
    Ah. Looking at it again.

Do NOT use the adapter. That pedal is standard 9volt DC like everything else you use. Your clue was that it worked when it was connected directly to the power supply.

That adaper is flipping the polarity from center Neg. to center Pos. It's like putting the battery on backward.

Nerojazz: There are only a few pedals that can't be daisy chained. Most pedals have been standardized to 9volts DC center neg. There are some exceptions but this is usually due to bad power filtering (they'll be noiseing when chained) but there can be other reason.

Tech Support tip: If you EVER have a problem with a Visual Sound product call or email them. They will respond promptly and help you out.
  10. Mattbass97

Mattbass97

Ah but is my adapter not changing the ground not the polarity? There is another adapter for polarity change which is red whereas the one I have is for ground changing maybe if I got an adapter to isolate the pedal?
  11. Got2SadowskyNYC

Got2SadowskyNYC

Disclosures:
    It's DC. There are only 2 poles. Positive (hot) and Negative (ground). If you change "ground" you move it from one pole to the other.

Look at the drawing on the top of the pedal near the DC jack.

You can keep having the head ache or you can spend more money. Or you could trust me and try it. You can even call VS and ask them. They'll tell you exactly what I'm telling you to do.

I promise, it WILL work if you don't use the adapter.

At least spend 3 seconds and try it.
  12. Mattbass97

Mattbass97

So you mean that the blogger will work just as any other pedals on my board? Diago said it needs the adapter I bought which doesn't work with it and ehx says something about it in there Manual. Are you sure no damage will happen?
  13. Mattbass97

Mattbass97

And I mean when daisy chained with the rest of my pedals
  14. gdavis

gdavis

There are two different issues to consider - polarity and positive/negative ground. They are not the same thing.

According to the manual on line, the Blogger uses negative center polarity, so that shouldn't be an issue. It says the supply should be able to provide at least 100mA. It also says that the power can't be daisy changed with other pedals. It doesn't say why but I guess we can presume it's because of the positive ground.

I can't tell for sure from the pic in the op what that gizmo is, is it this:
    http://www.diago.co.uk/adaptors/positive-ground.html

That is the correct gizmo (gizmo is the technical term :p ok not really) for isolating a positive ground pedal in theory, but it says it only supplies 30mA which could be a problem with the Blogger.

"Hot" and "ground" come from household AC where there isn't a positive and negative since the current is alternating, it doesn't really apply do the DC part of a supply.
  15. Got2SadowskyNYC

Got2SadowskyNYC

Disclosures:
    OHHHHH. I had to do some digging but it has to be a Germanium transistor pedal. I didn't realize that. EH doesn't make this clear so I missed it. I was going off memory and then looking at the photo of the pedal.

This changes everything.

Most electronics these days use silicon transistors because of it's reliability and consistency. Transistors used to be made of Germanium which can vary wildly. This is why you can have 5 vintage fuzz faces and only one sound good.

Although they function the same, they have different polarity. Transistors have 3 legs. PNP versus NPN. (P=Pos. N=Neg.) When you daisy chain the two types of circuits together you're creating what the 1Spot sees as a short and it's internal protection shuts off. I bet the LED is flashing dimly.

So, I stand corrected. You can't daisy chain that pedal with other "normal" pedals because of the pedals circuit design and components. This issue has nothing to do with the DC input jack therefore no adapter will allow you to daisy chain it with your other pedals.

If you happen to get another Germanium transistor pedal you can daisy chain the Blogger with it.

Sorry for my misunderstanding.

You're going to have to use two power supplies.
  16. Got2SadowskyNYC

Got2SadowskyNYC

Disclosures:
    Gdavis, FYI sometimes I'll use "common" terms even though they are technically wrong. For example It's common for people call the Pos. terminal on a battery the hot. It's DC there is no "hot" but you'd be surprised how many people have no clue what the difference between DC and AC is.

As far a mA. the EH site says the Blogger draws 9mA, well inside the 30mA of the "gizmo". If it pulled 100mA a 9volt battery would last very long.
  17. Mattbass97

Mattbass97

I see guys thanks that backed up what I already assumed ill just stick to batteries as they last very long In this pedal

Thanks a lot
  18. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Like when you repeated the old "underpowering" myth as if it was fact, over in Amps just a bit ago?

You might want to not offer electronics advice to people.
  19. boomertech

boomertech Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Designer/Owner of FEA Labs
    Yes… If you use the isolation adapter with the correct output polarity the pedal will operate properly. It will be as if it had its own isolated supply or running on battery power

-Frank.
  20. gdavis

gdavis

I wondered about that too. It may draw 9mA continuous average, but they specifically said it needs a 100mA supply and the one they sell for it is 200mA leading me to believe that there's actually a good reason for the 100mA spec with 200mA giving extra margin but I don't really know.