1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Why you MUST learn to sing.

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by corinpills, Oct 3, 2013.

1. corinpills

corinpills

2. Jason Wilson

Jason Wilson

Ha ha ha

What if I can sing but badly??

3. JaamE

JaamE Owner of the GK Angry Bird amp Supporting Member

That would be me, they make me sing on one song, but i will never say that i can sing!

4. Milk

Milk

Hmm........i call bs on that. There's loads of bands where the bassist is the best looking member of the group for one. Like...any band i'm in. Ok just kidding. But yeah seriously the singers are always the twattiest. Plus a lot of groupies will just think the singer or guitarist is already too busy... A lot of bands i love if i think COOLESt member, it's usually the bassist. That doesn't have to mean best looking. But certainly best dressed and who exhudes the most cool.

I mean Paul Simonon in The Clash, coolest (also best looking). Half the people in early punk and post punk/new wave picked up a bass cause he looked so damn good with one. I bet that guy got laid like you wouldnt believe

Enstwistle, cool as a goddam cucumber, (also...the other guy looked terrible physically but wahtevs). Sure Townshend smashes his stuff and does the windmill and all...but who looked much cooler just not giving a s***? Enstwistle. He died while with a groupie you know...

Duff Mckagan, seriously Axl just looked like an idiot with his bandanna and shorts and Slash tried too hard with the hair, the silly hat and the too frequent chest nakedness...on the other hand, fingerless gloves was trying a bit hard too for Duff too i guess but hey that was the era and style of music.

John Taylor...hmm...pretty sure he was more frequent on the teenager girls walls then Simon Lebon or whatshisname on keyboard.

Simon Gallup of The Cure, only good looking member of the band once Robert got fat. coolest looking too though that hair for half the 80's was a bit much. But it was the 80's...

Peter Hook of New Order. Well they all stopped looking cool somewhere in the mid80's and none of them ever looked good physically, but in the early days,he was by far the coolest looking.

And......Sid couldn't play....but who's the punk poster boy? yep....why? looks.

I could go on and i only did those i'm most familiar with.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Milk, youre looking at this with bass colored glasses on. As a bassist, youre going to notice bassists.

To the average person, theyre most often only familiar with the lead singer. Sometimes, maybe, a guitarist.

Very seldom is the bassist the most popular band member. Most nonmusicians wouldnt even know the bassists youve mentioned, other than Sid (and he couldnt even play the bass).

7. rickwebb

rickwebb

Ohhhh, I dunno 'bout that...
    Gene Simmons and Nikki Sixx have done okay...
    And take a look at Duff McKagan's wife Susan Holmes.

Those three are just off the top of my head...

8. Jason Wilson

Jason Wilson

And what about the bass player from U2, oh wait, never mind

9. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are.

Note: This thread is in the Bass Humor forum....:)

10. GlennW

GlennW

Bill Wyman probably got more 'tang than all those guys combined.

11. mellowinman

mellowinman Guaranteed to break the Ice at Naughty Parties Supporting Member

My wife is way better looking than Susan Holmes.

[​IMG]

AND she plays bass!

12. nojj

nojj Guest

Get used to women with harelips?

13. nojj

nojj Guest

Nice bass, Mellow.
    Yer wife ain't too shabby either............:bag:

14. mellowinman

mellowinman Guaranteed to break the Ice at Naughty Parties Supporting Member

Hey now.

I despise that Washburn bass, and consider it a piece of junk, so I bought her this:

[​IMG]

15. nojj

nojj Guest

Shoulda posted THAT one in the first place...........:D

Personally, I don't have anything against Washburns.
    They make great canoe paddles.

16. Casting Thunder

Casting Thunder

I'd just like to say I've been noticing bassists ever since I've gotten into live music. This was years before I actually picked up bass.

17. Johnny Crab

Johnny Crab ACME,QSC,Fame/Hondo/Greco user & BOSE Abuser

If you play with your fingers and catch them staring and smiling at your hand while you play....

Um, sure. Sing. Why not?

18. pklima

pklima

Singing > playing bass
    Rapping > singing
    Deejaying > rapping
    DJing > deejaying