1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Why Your Band Doesn't Need a Guitarist

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by matante, Feb 4, 2013.

1. matante

matante

This is the thread for all the guys who think their band has to have a guitarist, and for the rest of us to post examples why this is false.

Up first, Camaron de la Isla.

This might not be a great example because there is a guitarist on the track, but he add little to it. The performance contains three separate bass "solos" and at the end a cheesy guitar solo performed on keyboards.

A little background for those of you interested: Camaron was one of the great flamenco singers of all time and at this point in his career they tried to make him a pop star. I'm not claiming it's a good song, because it's not, but it's a good example of how you don't need guitarists to start a band.

Feel free to add your own examples to this thread.
  2. TolerancEJ

TolerancEJ

Bela Fleck is a wicked banjo player. No need for a guitar in The Flecktones.
  3. Kwesi

Kwesi Supporting Member

There is no why, haha. Bands without guitarists have been around for literally millennia. I don't see that suddenly changing.

4. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings
    Wait, you start a thread about why your band doesn't need a guitarist, and as proof post a video of a band with....a guitarist? Who, by the way, is the driving instrument on the track....
  5. Meddle

Meddle

Don't have a guitarist in my band. Bass, drums and analogue synth (for effects). I run such a full distorted tone that a guitarist is obsolete.
  6. Unrepresented

Unrepresented Something Borderline Offensive Supporting Member

Big Business doesn't need a guitarist, or a third person. They pretty much shoot the "we'll sound too thin" argument down in flames.

7. Meddle

Meddle

Saw a video of them at "Hellfest" and they had some dude rocking an Explorer up on stage with them. :meh:

Perhaps Om, Man is the Bastard/Bastard Noise or Subrig Destroyer is a better example.
  8. Lonesomedave

Lonesomedave Supporting Member

i have two words: WEATHER REPORT

back in the Jaco days...they did quite well without a guitarist

[​IMG]
  9. lfmn16

lfmn16 Supporting Member

+1

If you say that you don't need a guitar player, you should show some good examples of bands without guitar players.
  10. TolerancEJ

TolerancEJ

That was funny. I hadn't even bothered to look at the video. I was just answering the question.

Also, although it's does not immediately associate with this thread's topic... Not just guitar, but often pianists play their shows completely unaccompanied. Pianists play both the bass & treble sides simultaneously.
  11. VanillaThundah

VanillaThundah

It all depends on what your music needs. My band might be able to make it without a guitarist (man, would it ever be easier lol), but our music would lose something without it there. YMMV, that's what's great about music...if you can make it work, more power to ya!!
  12. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME! Supporting Member

I used to play in an awesome guitarless band.
  13. heavyfunkmachin

heavyfunkmachin

14. Unrepresented

Unrepresented Something Borderline Offensive Supporting Member

I've seen them perform both with and without a guitarist. I assume it's an aesthetic choice.
  15. funkinbottom

funkinbottom Supporting Member

16. MattyH

MattyH

Fitz & The Tantrums
  17. CrewsControl

CrewsControl

18. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME! Supporting Member

19. matante

matante

I chose that clip because it's what inspired the thread. Those three little bass solos reminded me of the conversations I've had here with people who constantly complain about guitarists, "guitards," and the guitar itself, yet claim that they have to have a guitarist if only for the solos.
  20. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Sponsored by Jagermeister Supporting Member

Look up Jazz

Watch Elton John's early live performances. They are simply awesome as a three-piece: piano, bass, drums.