1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

wich strings will you use with a Gibson thunderbird?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by solitario, Dec 18, 2013.

1. solitario

solitario

hello, I just bought my first gibson thunderbird. It came with old wasted string so I have to change them. In my jazz bass I use dr lo riders or dr sunbeans.

I have 1 lo rider set 1 sun beam set and 1 marcus miller fat beam set (I have never try fat beams before but I bought them for my jb)

the question is, wich of those 3 sets do you think will sound better with the tbirb? I think that sunbeams will probably sound to mellow in a mahogany body but i dont know...

I also have a set of fender nickle (emergency set)

Thank you for the answers
  2. Furious_Man77

Furious_Man77 Low frequencies since 1997 Supporting Member

+1 Fat Beams
  3. solitario

solitario

Thank you for the answer, why fat beams? I mean, do you like fat beams in any bass or they are a good choice for the tbird?
  4. Brian Jeffries

Brian Jeffries

rotosound 66 cause they sound so good on the bird
  5. Johnny Crab

Johnny Crab ACME,QSC,Fame/Hondo/Greco user & BOSE Abuser Gold Supporting Member

This since Rotosounds came into being.
  6. Furious_Man77

Furious_Man77 Low frequencies since 1997 Supporting Member

Between the 3 DR's you listed that you have on hand, the Fat Beams have a firmer feeling tension and a very complete spectrum of tone. In my set up, I think they bring out the best attributes of the Thunderbird sound and fill in some of the naturally recessive frequencies creating a more musical palette.

I have always liked DR's on my guitars, so I tried the Lo Riders and Hi Beams before settling on the Fat Beams along time ago. I agree with the Rotosounds being another good choice if you want to pick up a set and are after the straight up growl.
  7. solitario

solitario

I have just tried fat beams, the sound mid scooped and tonds of clanky highs and fnguer noise. I have never tried them before but I dont like them they sound too modern / slappy IMO

I dont know if the low riders nickle are going to have to much mids on a tbird... what do you think? fatbeams sound good on all my fenders but having a low tension maybe they are not the best option for a tbid playing with a pick... what dou you think?
  8. georgestrings

georgestrings Supporting Member

I'm using Boomer mediums on mine...

- georgestrings
  9. ou812

ou812

Anybody try LaBella Deep Talking on a T-bird?
  10. pfox14

pfox14

I second the motion for Rotosound 66s. That's what I use on my T-bird.
  11. Clouz

Clouz The Ayatollah of Jack and Cola Supporting Member

i have an explorer bass that is mahogany and uses the TB pick ups and i use it to play sabbath that is tuned down to C#. so far i have found that DR .110 DDT's sound the best. not too clangy and a dark very deep tone. i don't know what sound you're after but if it's sabbath this will get you in the ball park. i still want to try a 5 string set with the G string in the trash can and see how that goes. i also discovered that plugging into the -15db side calms down those ceramic pu's too. good luck.
  12. El Tookay

El Tookay Supporting Member

...for the win. 'Birds and Boomers are a great match.