1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Wide(r) string spacing on mid level 6 string?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Systolic, Feb 8, 2013.

1. Systolic

Systolic

I think I broke the search button from over usage.

I currently have a Schecter Stiletto Studio 6. While I like most aspects of it, the string spacing (16.5mm) is just too tight for my liking. :scowl:

So I would very much like to move to something in the same price point or perhaps a touch higher as my budget is fairly limited.

The problem I am running into is that it seems to be hard to find a wider (18+mm) string space 6er at this price point.

Anybody have suggestions? :confused: I'm already keeping my eye out for some Yamahas, but I'm a sucker for options.

Thanks
  2. Systolic

Systolic

Tricky isn't it?
  3. Want a 9

Want a 9

I think the MTD budget Andre Croche model has 18 millimeter spacing, but it is around two grand. The Ibanez BTB model 6'ers have 17.5 mm string spacing I believe.

I understand your delimma. I prefer wider string spacing on a six string also. A used Yamaha TRB seems like a good option if you really need spacing greater than 18 mm. Beyond that I can't think of anything at the moment.
  4. Systolic

Systolic

BTB's are 17mm. So Yamaha is really my only choice?
  5. Want a 9

Want a 9

Ooops. My mistake.

Warwick has made some 6 string basses with extra wide 20 mm string spacing, but unfortunately I don't think even a used one would be cheap.

What about buying a used Conklin Groove Tools GT-7 7 string bass and replacing the bridge and nut on it to make it a wide neck six'er. Would that be a possibility by chance? The GT-7 is 2 1/2" at the nut and 4" at the 24th fret. That is about the neck dimensions of an old Yamaha TRB. Just trying to throw out some suggestions is all.
  6. Clef_de_fa

Clef_de_fa

You want to check out the Spector Legend 6, the Yamaha.
  7. Ben Mitchell

Ben Mitchell

KSD J6, although hard to find, are 18mm 35" scale monsters of tone. I just bought one for 600 which is a rare deal, but they generally go for around 900 as I've seen.
  8. Systolic

Systolic

Interesting idea. I wonder what the spacing would be then? Couldn't I just do that to most any other bass? Just replace the bridge with a hipshot version of my liking?

Spector's are .66" or 16.7mm.
  9. Want a 9

Want a 9

I suppose so upto a point, but you need a wide enough neck that still allows you play the highest and lowest strings without them sliding off the edges of the neck whe you press down on the string - if that makes sense.

You would have to purchase a bridge that either is already made to have 19 mm string spacing, or have one that allows you to adjust the lateral (side-ways) bridge saddle movement - to adjust to 19 mm spacing. Some companies will build custom bridges (especially for Luthiers who build custom ERB's like 8 - 12 string basses.)

Another idea is just buy two four string bridges: have one side (string saddle) cut off of one bridge and have the opposing side (string saddle) cut of the other bridge and put them together. Two three string bridges (that already have 19 mm spacing) put together to create a make shift six string bridge. Just an idea. It may not be economical at all . . . I can't really say, because I don't know. Again I'm just throwing out ideas that may allow you reach your goal.
  10. ggvicviper

ggvicviper P is the Key. Call me Marc or Marky Potatoes. Gold Supporting Member

11. bassybeenz

bassybeenz

The Mtd Kingston Z6 is 18mm IIRC
  12. Systolic

Systolic

I like the MTD Z6 quite a bit, but it tends to be a touch out of my price range.

That KSD looks pretty snazzy though. I will look into it.
  13. Clef_de_fa

Clef_de_fa

hum I thought they were way wider than that, well to me they feel really wide.
  14. Systolic

Systolic

Well that's what the website says. So maybe that's only for the new(er) models?

Perhaps the older ones were wider? Can anybody else weigh in on this?
  15. Lo end PUNCH

Lo end PUNCH

The Spector Legend I had I believe was 18mm. It was very comfortable.
  16. Systolic

Systolic

Hmmm. Interesting. I would love to go with Spector as I like the tone very much.

Can anybody else confirm this or inform us as to when the transition was made? I generally buy used, so this information will pretty dang important.
  17. 8liter

8liter

The Spector Legend 6 is 16.75mm string spacing. That was one of the reasons why I sold it.
  18. Systolic

Systolic

....well balls
  19. Systolic

Systolic

bump for collecting information
  20. joe vegas

joe vegas

i bought a 7-string on ebay last year for $400, one of the Wolf "NAMM basses" lot, for a wide 7-to-6 conversion.

new bridge (hipshot, rolled out to 19.98mm bridge spacing), new brass nut, removal of the 7th tuner.. voila! an awesome, alembic-sounding 6 with a huge stable neck and sustain for days, well under a grand.