Wide spaced 6 string pickup options??

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Mktrat, Apr 14, 2014.

1. Mktrat

Mktrat Wait. What? Supporting Member

I am out of ideas.

I have a 20mm string spacing to cover and need a pickup. No previous routes to contend with, so that's a bonus. I really would just like a piezo bridge but I have no source for that.

Great land of TB please bestow me with your wisdom.
  2. bongostealth

bongostealth Supporting Member

I'm assuming you are talking about a 6-string bass, correct? Also, what shape of pickup do you need? If it's a humbucker, you could use Basslines Seymour Duncan ASB pickups, Bartolini P4, Lane Poors, and Aguilar DCB (from what I've read previously on another thread). These all are able to accommodate 20mm string spacing.

(NOTE: the Bartolini may result in a slight decrease in output from the B and C strings but certainly not much. I don't know what the results would be with the Aguilars, but the Seymour Duncans will absolutely accommodate 20mm string spacing)

Otherwise, depending on your routing, you might have to use soapbars made for 7-string bass. As far as any other pickup housing shape, I don't know what else would accommodate 20mm string spacing other than 7-string pickups.

Pickup placement is also very important. I recently sold a Warwick Thumb 6 bolt-on that has 20mm string spacing. I last installed the Bartolini P4 pickups and was able to get decent output from the B and C strings.
  3. gary m

gary m

4. tubby.twins

tubby.twins Amateur Pickup Reviewer Gold Supporting Member

Delano has a great reputation for accommodating basses with wide string spacings or very many (7 or more) strings.

You could choose to get the standard "SBC 7 HE/S" dual-coil pickups, which would probably work just fine with your wide string spacing. At 20mm string width, the total string spacing would be at least 100mm, which just won't work with the standard "SBC 6" models.

If you wanted a quad-coil version, I am sure you could ask them to make a 6-string version of the quad-coil armature inside the same shell. Other options include their MusicMan pickups, both in "HE" blade models as well as the "FE" polepiece models.

I have also seen examples of Villex pickups which were made for very wide basses.
  5. Mktrat

These are all great ideas.

So far though only Barts have stated the ability to accommodate 20mm spacing.

Gary: Those look cool but they are only barely wider than the strings themselves.

Ideally I want to figure out a piezo setup. I just don't have the expierence to pull it off myself.
  6. Mktrat

I had emailed Delano already just trying to get all the info before I start routing.
  7. Mktrat

I wonder if I could make a super P pickup using the longer side of two five string p pickups?

Might look kinda cool. Solid covers and would have to start out as a 19mm spacing but I think it would line up ok.
  8. BruceWane

BruceWane

Ghost and RMC both make retrofit piezo saddles for Hipshot A style bridges.

You also might want to contact Hipshot directly - pretty sure at one time they were working on offering a piezo option on some of their bridges. Anyway, they're usually pretty helpful.

You will almost certainly want some additional on-board electronics with piezos - the raw output from them is usually quite harsh, so you'll want some active EQ at the least. If you're going to mix piezos with normal magnetic pickups, you will absolutely need an on-board preamp made just for piezo+mag systems to buffer and balance the different outputs. This stuff is available from RMC, Ghost, Shadow, and Bartolini.

Edited to add - Carvin sells a piezo+mag preamp too.
  9. Mktrat

I like the hipshot stuff. I was thinking more of a Rob Allen kinda thing.

If I could just make up my mind......
  10. Mktrat

11. Selta

Selta

Disclosures:
    Uncompensated endorsing user: EBMM
  12. Mktrat

so......enlighten me.
  13. JustForSport

JustForSport

Or three of the 2 string sides...

I think ABM makes individual string piezos- make your own spacing.
  14. Mktrat

I was thinking this would be the most traditional looking option, 3 2's would also work. I didn't know about the individual piezos, those are cool too but surprisingly pricey.
  15. BruceWane

BruceWane

There's really no technical difference between guitar and bass pickups. They're all wire and magnets. Rickenbacker often uses the same pickups for guitars and basses.

No telling what that Rondo pickup might sound like. If they said what the resonant peak was and what kind of magnet it uses you could get a ballpark idea.
  16. BruceWane

BruceWane

set probably
    You'd be creating a hum machine.

In order to cancel out 60Hz hum, you have to have equal numbers of identical coils, half of them reverse wound.

You could get two complete 4 string P style pickups. Use three of the halves under your strings, remove the magnets from the fourth and place it inside the control cavity.

This is not an uncommon thing; it's called a "dummy" coil. Alembic uses them a lot.

If you used two of the three string coils from a 5 string P set, since they'd be identical, you'd want to wire one out of phase in order to cancel hum.
  17. BruceWane

BruceWane

18. Fretweld6

Fretweld6

Bartolini has a soap bar pickup that can accomodate 102 mm......
    G66CBJD B1/T1.
  19. Mktrat

I have seen these, availability has been hit and miss.