1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Widest possible string spacing on SX 5 string

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by progeny, Dec 2, 2013.

1. progeny

progeny

I have a problem/opportunity. My brand new SX Ursa 5 string Jazz bass just came in the mail about an hour ago. I plugged it up and I like it, but the string spacing is a wee bit too tight. I know most Jazz basses are in the 18-19mm string spacing at the bridge area but these bases are about 16.5mm string spacing.

The width of the neck at the nut is 1.5 inches even. At the 20th fret, the width of the neck is 2.75 inches even. If I could change out the bridge and the nut, would it be possible to get 17-17.5mm spacing?

Thanks in advance.
  2. bassbenj

bassbenj

Assuming you want to keep it a 5 string, the issue is how close to the B and G strings get to the edge of the neck. If they are too close they are a problem. All I can say is that I widened one slightly in the past and it was OK but you can't push it out much. I had one of those old Wilkinson bridges with adjustable spacing. Now if you converted to a 4 string getting a 19 or 20mm spacing would be not problem . Same for a 5 string if you started with an Ursa 6 string.