1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Wife or girlfriend coming to every gig.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by thenazz, Dec 20, 2013.

1. thenazz

thenazz

I don't like it. I'm a full type musician, it's my job. Sometimes I just want to hang with the guys between sets, or go talk to the patrons in the club, which I think is good for business. Thoughts?

2. electracoyote

electracoyote

I gig about every weekend. My wife comes to every gig. I have no idea why. I don't think she's jealous or possessive. I think she really likes the music, the show, and hanging with the other band posse. Sometimes I have time to hang out with her between sets. Sometimes I do not. She knows and accepts this going in, and she is never resentful. She is an angel. If your wife or sig. other is like this, there is no reason not to have them there at the gig. If you get friction, you have a problem on your hands, no doubt.

3. Groovy_Gravy

Groovy_Gravy

Tell your wife to go talk with her friends on set break??

4. wmheilma

wmheilma

Roll with it! My wife never comes to shows anymore which is too bad. If you gig enough long enough she'll probably stop coming.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Wolffgang

Wolffgang

If you can't say that to her in an open, honest conversation and have her be cool with it, you've got bigger problems that talkbass can't help with >.>

7. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
    I agree. I don't think my wife would appreciate me going to her job everyday, applauding as she finishes up with every patient.

This is work, I'm a pro. I need to be able to focus without the distractions family brings to the job

8. Bassconbeatz

Bassconbeatz Way down low

I have no choice. My wife is our keyboard player :)

9. ZachariahLee

ZachariahLee

Would you be asking the same thing if it was your best friend that showed up to every gig? Sure it's nice to have some bro time, but count your blessings that she cares enough to show up. I wouldn't even watch a Metallica show once a week for more than a month before loosing the excitement. (Metallica is one of my favorite bands for the record)

10. E-At

E-At

Are you in a band called Wings? :p

11. Bassconbeatz

Bassconbeatz Way down low

Too funny. I'm not a lefty though but my son is and he plays the drums. :bassist:

12. hotrodjohn

hotrodjohn Supporting Member

My wife hates the music I play and is usually in bed by 9, so needless to say she is not a regular at my gigs...

13. bassmeknik

bassmeknik

My gf is at most gigs and completely understands that she won't get to sit by me every break, but then again she is also a bass player so she gets it...

14. Marley's Ghost

Marley's Ghost Supporting Member

If she's glaring at other women, demanding your attention at every break, and/or complaining about volume/song choices etc, then you have a problem. If a frank adult conversation doesn't modify her behavior, then the problem beyond just your music.

15. mam1862

mam1862 Supporting Member

My wife comes to about 90% of my gigs. She always has a great time and is busy talking with everyone. She doesn't bother me at all. My biggest problem is the bar tab is equal to what I make playing. She has a good time and we have quite a few friends that show up so it works out. If I could only get her to help set up and tear down that would make the night. It's all good fun.

16. Ronbassman

Ronbassman

Learn to live with it. If you don't like her presence in your social gatherings/events/whatever, why did you get married in the first place?

17. superHEAVYfunk

superHEAVYfunk

My only contribution to this thread is to +1 both of these earlier posts.

Your wife or gf is supposed to be your (or at least one of) best friend, no? Unless you plan to flirt/go home with some other broad, why should it matter that she comes to the gigs?

18. hover

hover

a-Yup.

19. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member

I think it isn't a problem if she understands that she won't be your center of attention.
    Same gopes for kids.

20. Thick McRunfast

Thick McRunfast Not just good, good enough Supporting Member

I'm not clear OP - is it your wife or your girlfriend that's showing up to your gigs?
    Both at the same time is bad

21. MaGrass

MaGrass

I agree...

Don't you play that wrong note when from the stage u kinda spot some jerk hitting on your chick.

That's a sort of distraction that drives me mad because it affects my music...

She could come whenever She wants as long as she really honestly wants to see the thing and as long as She understands that I do not need distractions when on stage...

This said,

Thank god I'm single. :beer: