1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Wilbur Bascomb:Why isn't he a household name?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Alan Vorse, Oct 28, 2005.

1. Alan Vorse

Alan Vorse

While getting ready to leave for work recently, I randomly picked a CD out of the rack. It was Jeff Beck-Wired. I bought it six years ago and hadn't really touched it since.

OH MY GOD!!!

What an amazing group of musicians he formed for this CD. But what the Hell? This CD had some of the funkiest bass playing ever, and I might just put him up against any fusion/funk bass player of that time.

Who is Wilbur Bascomb and why isn't he a god that I have built a shrine to?

I need details people. Other album credits, gear, where is he now?

2. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Brubaker Guitars, Boom Bass Cabinets
    They can't all be famous I guess.

That's a killer album.

3. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X

Disclosures:
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    Wibur Bascomb is a very groove heavy Bassist and one of the funkiest fusion bass player ever and very versatile as well.he is still a busy Bassist(living in NY)he does a lot of giging with Drummer Bernard Purdie(and he's one of Bernards favorite Bassist)he first started playing with Bernard in his early teens.He's also played with BB King and Roy Ayers as well.

4. Ian Perge

Ian Perge

The name "Wilbur Bascomb", for one. It certainly doesn't roll off the tongue like "Derek Smalls".

;)

MrDOS likes this.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. LarryR

LarryR Supporting Member

"and one" for Wilbur.

His track on "Head For Backstage" (nice of Jeff Beck to give him some publishing) off Wired is one of those parts (and bass sounds) permanently etched in my brain.

7. Alan Vorse

Alan Vorse

Sez you! I think its one of the coolest bass names ever.

8. jerry

jerry Definitely not trending Gold Supporting Member

I wish Bassplayer or some other bass magazine would have a "Legends" section for bassist like Wilber, Doug Rauch & Rusty Allan from Sly & Robin Trower's band. These players should receive some props and recognition!

9. RHFusillo

RHFusillo Gold Supporting Member

Jeff Beck had a knack for picking good bass players. I really like Clive Chapman, who played in the second version of The Jeff Beck Group which made Rough and Ready and The Jeff Beck Group. Heavy Jamerson influence. Wonder what happened to him.

10. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

:cool:
    Wilbur Rocks.
    Saw him with Leslie West.
    Played on some cool albums.

11. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X

Disclosures:
    Endorsing artist:see profile.

A few years ago Bass Player mag did a piece on Wilbur.

12. Tash

Tash

I'm going to go with the fact that he's a bass player. How many bass players are household names? McCartney? Most people don't know he plays bass. Gene Simmons, aka "the man with the tongue", no the "bass player in kiss". Oh yeah and the keyboardist for Led Zeppelin, I think he plays bass too :)

13. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Supporting Member

is wilbur the bassist on roy ayers' album "everybody love the sunshine"?

14. darkblack99

darkblack99

Fine bassist, Wilbur Bascomb, Jr. - He plays out with Galt McDermott and the New Pulse Jazz Band and has done so for years, in addition to many sessions.

15. jerry

jerry Definitely not trending Gold Supporting Member

I'm a big fan of Clive's Jamerson influenced playing too! There is a old Brian Auger album called 'Happiness Heartaches' that has Clive teamed up with Lenny White, and was re-released a few years back that is excellent. :bassist:

16. zombywoof5050

zombywoof5050

Love Wilbur, always have!
    We play a few songs off of Wired.

As for Clive, his last name is Chaman (in case anyone wants to try looking him up, I didn't get very far though). I always liked Chaman a lot, too. I'm a long time Beck fan.

17. Alan Vorse

Alan Vorse

I meant in the "World of Bass." I would put him right up there with people like Paul Jackson, Chuck Rainey, Larry Graham.

18. Hambone

Hambone

I list Wilbur as one of my influences in my profile. Wired pretty much "wired" my brain for the funk/fusion sound. So much so that I HAD to see Jeff Beck on that tour supporting the album. I was hoping to get to see Wilbur throw it down but I'm pretty sure that the guy I saw that night was Fernando Saunders.

19. jazzbass72

jazzbass72

A musician friend of mine from NYC said that he recently played a wedding gig out in Long Island, NY. The bassist on the gig was Wilbur Bascomb... so, he's alive and well!

Marco

20. mike sancho

mike sancho SANCH

Great Post!!! I just pulled Wired off the shelf to jam with this week. Wilbur was on top of it on that album man. Super Funky and tight!! The music on that album still sounds fresh to me. Clive Chaman was killer too!! Beck knew good playing when he heard it.

21. JimK

JimK

So who's Jill Avery?
    ...check out the bar band scene in Twins.
    ;)

Back in high school, we played "Got The Feeling" from Rough & Ready...still an ass-kickin' 30+ years after the fact.

Did Bascomb play on Grey & Hanks' "(Love To See You)Dancing" Top-40 hit?
    (Rainey is on "You Fooled Me").